What's a decent map type?

I think Pangea is the best map type. Continents is very situational as it is incredibly difficult to wage war on another continent unless your cap is coastal. Coastal caps are way too strong in continents especially since cargo ships are already crazy OP.

i like map with bottleneck landmass. Helps you against those early ai attacks where the ai has magically produced 20 units while you are working on your second one. Fractal is often good then. Small continents are also a favourite.

One I really like but doesn't get mentioned much is Inland Sea. I like strong, landlocked capitals, and IS provides lots of rivers and tends to be roomy. It can also be a paradise for scouting, and I'll often find ruins well after turn 30. The map can actually be a little too roomy on the large setting, leading to unsettled land late in the game and problems with barbarians. It's not hard to fix that by turning up the number of AI civs or CS.

Huh, you've convinced me to give this one a try!

I've been playing a few games using Oval lately. I think it actually gives me a better "pangaea" than Pangaea itself does. A nice, big, lump of earth, with bits of water sticking into it. Pangaea gives really weird stuff sometimes.

Anyone know the difference between Great Plains and Great Plains Plus? I wish they didn't have the mess of forest/mountain to the edges and the world wrapped, I'd like a nice mostly-flat area to play with sometime.

Fractal all the way. It's randomness and the good script are equivalent to have map selection set to random, as Fractal covers the core structure of many of the other scripts (and you only find out which it is after exploring!).

I guess I'm a bit a-typical. I like the Lakes map when I'm ok with confrontation. I also think Ring is very interesting because most likely you'll only have military interaction with a few but you're not at war with the world, but you still have to keep up in other terms.

I like knowing I may be attacked very soon from the beginning, but not always. At the same time, I'm not sure I've really explored the naval part of the game yet.

Tilted Axis is fun, Terra is a very cool twist, and continents is just a classic.

I'm more concerned with the amount of open space at the start then the map type. I want enough room near my capital to place my next two cities nearby. Often there are city-states or other civs crowding in.

You can just take one of the civs out in the advanced settings. I usually do this. Large with 9 civs

I use CPlus and SCPlus but I'll have to try fractal.

What is SCPlus? Small Continents Plus? I have Pangaea Plus and Continents Plus. I have been playing the later mostly, but am I missing something? Or did rkade miss type? Or is Small Continents Plus bundled with BNW or is it a mod?

Top Bottom