1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What's a decent map type?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Sherlock, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Mozzington

Mozzington Prince

Small continents, low sea level...easily the best.

2. danaphanous

danaphanous religious fanatic

Ice Age, Tilted Axis. :p

I've taken to creative map styles lately.

3. CraigMak

CraigMak The Borg

I think Pangea is the best map type. Continents is very situational as it is incredibly difficult to wage war on another continent unless your cap is coastal. Coastal caps are way too strong in continents especially since cargo ships are already crazy OP.

4. danieladler

danieladler Warlord

i like map with bottleneck landmass. Helps you against those early ai attacks where the ai has magically produced 20 units while you are working on your second one. Fractal is often good then. Small continents are also a favourite.

5. DeletedSettler

DeletedSettler Chieftain

Huh, you've convinced me to give this one a try!

I've been playing a few games using Oval lately. I think it actually gives me a better "pangaea" than Pangaea itself does. A nice, big, lump of earth, with bits of water sticking into it. Pangaea gives really weird stuff sometimes.

Anyone know the difference between Great Plains and Great Plains Plus? I wish they didn't have the mess of forest/mountain to the edges and the world wrapped, I'd like a nice mostly-flat area to play with sometime.

6. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Fractal all the way. It's randomness and the good script are equivalent to have map selection set to random, as Fractal covers the core structure of many of the other scripts (and you only find out which it is after exploring!).

7. Xorona

Xorona Chieftain

I guess I'm a bit a-typical. I like the Lakes map when I'm ok with confrontation. I also think Ring is very interesting because most likely you'll only have military interaction with a few but you're not at war with the world, but you still have to keep up in other terms.

I like knowing I may be attacked very soon from the beginning, but not always. At the same time, I'm not sure I've really explored the naval part of the game yet.

8. Sir Parker II

Sir Parker II Warlord

Tilted Axis is fun, Terra is a very cool twist, and continents is just a classic.

9. dashwinner

dashwinner Prince

You can just take one of the civs out in the advanced settings. I usually do this. Large with 9 civs

10. Dave Hartwick

Dave Hartwick Prince

Regarding Inland Sea, to get a lot of ruins, you really need to go large and send your scouts around the edges of the map after clearing the fog in your starting territory.

11. beetle

beetle Deity

What is SCPlus? Small Continents Plus? I have Pangaea Plus and Continents Plus. I have been playing the later mostly, but am I missing something? Or did rkade miss type? Or is Small Continents Plus bundled with BNW or is it a mod?