[BTS] Whats going on in the Community this week

Sword_Of_Geddon

Arbiter of the Sword
In mod news, the Realism Invictus team continue to perfect the already fantastic mod that began all the way back in the days before Beyond the Sword as Total Realism.

The C2C(Thats Caveman to Cosmos) team continues to show that bigger can indeed be better, and is the most feature heavy, largest yet high-quality experience one can have.

Its cousin, A New Dawn, also enjoys continued support, and is a great mod, I recommend it to whomever is reading this.

In graphics news we have Hrochland, Kathy, Merjin and Clanky serving up some nice new units or building graphics, check them out either in the building graphic or unit graphic sections of the board.

There are older games that continue to be successful. Despite the existence of Civ5 and now Civ6, I believe Civ4 is one of the highest quality civ games, and modded...its unsurpassed.

Here is to all the modders out there that continue to play and mod this great game and say "Civ4 AIN'T dead."

My hat is off to you.

I will update this next week...stay tuned.

Unit creator Kathy continues to amaze, with the first Gatling Gun unit for Civ4 ever made, check it out here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/gatling-gun.27071/

Kathy's Post about this unit:
No problem, I just need some time to work it out. For some reasons, some effects are directed in the opposite direction, but I could correct this. so, use this modell with the attached .kfm (and .kf), and it should so as you wanted.
The cannon.nif is with smaller gun barrels, while cannon_fx.nif is original size.

It is nice to see people still making stuff for such an old. I remember back when some of the staff put out a monthly mod roundup where they would display images and links to some of the more popular mods updated/created that month. I enjoyed being able to see what the various modding communities of the different civilization games were up to at a glance. It is nice to something like that again.

Lucky you. I only really seriously got into CIV4 modding this year. So I'll newer get to see that sort of thing.

The list is incomplete. There is one more release of Civilization 4, which is being modded, more specifically Colonization. Precisely that week was very eventful and will go down in Colonization modding as a major turning point. The leader of the mod Religion and Revolution decided to retire and retire the mod with him. Since it's the mod for Colonization according to a lot of people, this was horrible news.

However without a mod to contribute to, a group of us got together and started a new mod. Yes, that's right. New mods for a 10 year old game can still appear. We forked RaR to have a starting point, but with new management, we have new goals and new plans. The biggest change is the composition of the team. With 4 skilled programmers we can be rather ambitious with the programming plans and indeed we are just that.

I have an old plan to make one DLL, which will work in most Colonization mods, meaning it will be possible to make and maintain a mod with well made DLL features without having programmers for each mod. I have a plan for this now, meaning this might end up as a complete game changer not just for one mod, but for Colonization modding as a whole. I hope I get to see this plan executed in a not too distant future and working as well as I imagine it will.

As you can tell, Civ4 Colonization modding is also active despite the releases of civ5 and civ6. For those who are interested, there is a link to the new We the People mod in my signature :)

That sounds awesome Nightinggale I have yet to give Colonization I try( I really should) but that sounds amazing. I for one don't think the game being more than ten years old matters, I mean World of Warcraft is more than ten years old and is still very successful, why can't a game like Civ4 or Colonization have an active community? More power to you for continuing where Religion and Revolution left off. :)

From my experience old games are in general better in every way than new ones. I mean, do a comparison between DOOM (1994) and modern shooters, CIV4 or SMAC vs 5 and 6, the Might and Magic series vs modern fantasy games, etc. So these and other classics will probably live on well after modern games die. The issue is only really that it will become ever harder to play them on modern systems and thus less and less people will get into them as we grow old and die.

I think you are right Purple, I mean look at Ensemble's old games. The Forgotten Empires group has taken Age of Empire 1, made a hd remastered version, and taken Age of Empires 2 and made not one, not two, but so far three new expansions for it, along with a new expansion for Age of Mythology.

I don't get it. There are obviously people wanting good strategy games. I wonder if its what I call "the WOW effect", or world of warcraft effect. Game studios(the bigger ones) expect games to make millions now, and if they won't, they don't make them, where before studios were smaller and video gaming was perceived(or was) less mainstream, so these more ambitious, quality games got made, games that the big studios like Activision or EA would never touch.

Top Bottom