• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

What's the cheapest video card I can get that will run Civ IV

Grohan said:
Any old GeForce card should be fine (Geforce 2, 3, 4 or FX).
[/url]

No way, a GeForce 2/3/4 really wont be enough.

A GeForce 5200 or Radeon 9200 seems like the absolute minimum to me. If you don't have a video card and only need one for Civ 4, those are fine options.

Hey guys, whilst we are on the subject of video cards, do you know how to run a check of your computer to see what kind you have? Thanks in advance :)!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Aussie_Lurker said:
Hey guys, whilst we are on the subject of video cards, do you know how to run a check of your computer to see what kind you have? Thanks in advance :)!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Go to Start > Run. Type in "dxdiag" and click "OK".

That will run the DirectX daignosis tool. When is finishes running, click on the "Display" tab and you'll see what you've got.

EDIT: And to be on-topic... newegg.com is an excellent source for all things computer related. Low prices, quick shipping. I've built several systems using parts from newegg and I wouldn't shop anywhere else.

Rayanth said:
without advanced fiddling around, and possible bug-crashes, it's incredibly difficult to get a game to run on the second video card instead of the first. As a result, if you cannot disable the onboard video as primary, chances are you'll have issues.

Bummer! Thanks, Rayanth.

Yusaku Jon III said:
The thing that I'd like to know is if there are 128 MB AGP vidcards built for the older (4x) slots. I recall seeing an Nvidia model (MX 4000?) specced for both 8x and 4x AGP...

I think most 8x AGP cards will scale down to a 4x slot. I have a 128MB Radeon 9600XT AGP running in a 4x slot and it works fine (it can also run in an 8x slot I believe)

Oh boy if you dont even have an AGP slot then chances are your processor will be hopelessly underpowered and your RAM too.

That must have been 5 to 6 years back? While they were still trying to break the 1 GHz barrier.

I heard somewhere that for the U.S. at least, that the makers would make an alternative to having hardware t+l. So don't jump and start thinking you need a new graphics card yet. Also, sometimes the memory used for hardware t+l is used on your RAM instead of graphics cards. So in my case I just bought more RAM (total of 768). Recommended RAM is 512 so i have 256 more plenty for hardware t+l.

I have a laptop which meets all of the minimum and most of the recommended requirements but my video card does not have Hardware Transform and Lighting whatever the hell that is. So I can't just go out and buy a cheap card and plug it into an empty slot. What is a Civ Junkie (albeit non-techie) to do? :confused:

Lanny said:
I have a laptop which meets all of the minimum and most of the recommended requirements but my video card does not have Hardware Transform and Lighting whatever the hell that is. So I can't just go out and buy a cheap card and plug it into an empty slot. What is a Civ Junkie (albeit non-techie) to do? :confused:

i just read somewhere about an agp slot to fit into your pcmcia slot to then put an agp video card. obviously you won't get the same speed and i have no idea how well it works.

Top Bottom