What's the closest game to Civ II after it?

Apprentice 2 SA

Chieftain
Probably a meaningless question as it depends what you value about Civ II as to what you would want to be there in a later version. Or every version of Civ is radically different? I am enjoying playing Civ II, but if I wanted to try a later version, what would the best fit be?

The general consensus, based on my readings, is that:
Civ1 is a classic even though has some serious shortcomings
Civ2 is a timeless classic
Civ3 had nice ideas but fell short of lofty expectations of Civ community
Civ4 is another timeless classic
Civ5 missed the mark big time
Civ6 too early to tell

I have personally played Civ1 and Civ2 extensively though I have not played Civ1 in many years now. I have played only a few games of Civ3 and Civ4; not enough to form a solid opinion. Have not purchased the later versions yet.

I would say Civ 2 ToT is its own class (multiple maps in a game, multiple sets of terrain in a game, animated units (so in bad quality and with one big mistake in the sprites) and it comes closest to Civ 2. If one game in my eyes next to Civ 2 is a "timeless classic" it is Civ 3. Civ 3 is the last game of the civ series not using 3 D graphics combined with an awful table-top-presentation, what in my eyes is a huge advantage for a strategy game. So for any civers not liking these 3D graphics and the graphical mess that happens on the map, this is and will stay the most modern game of the civ series with nicely animated units and in this sense the real "timeless game" of that series, as I don´t think that Firaxis can escape out of their own "3D-trap".

Also, Civ4, 5, and 6 have so many bells and whistles, tonnes of unique qualities intrinsic to each civilization in-game, and such rich 3D graphics, that making mods or scenarios is apparently a real headache (and unnecessarily so, in my opinion) to really be worth it, if modding and scenario-making (which are strong points of Civ2 (including ToT) and Civ3 in the series) are major factors for you.

I think 4 is as good as 2, but not better. Civ2 feels restricted with only 7 civilizations at a time, and a dumb ai; but it's great anyway. The best thing about civ4 is the mods.

My favourite game is Civ IV Beyond the Sword,I played more maps,Civ V Gods&Kings just one.Now I play just Civ III Conquests,I played 6-7 maps,is a very good game,but have a hard micro-management,need to build more cities(no more strategic and luxuries resources in map),can hurry production with money in some governments,need to decide where from..120 cities spend money and can't leave workers automated...
Civ II is...funny:),can play without more 'headache'(Patine word).For every Civ II player and fan,I recommend Civ III Conquests,is a mixture between Civ II and IV.

Last edited:
Civ 3 and civ 4 are both very good games. But from what little I played civ 5 I did not like it as much as 3 and 4 (currently mostly playing 4, and I used to play a lot of 2 and 3 in the days).

I would say Civ 2 ToT is its own class (multiple maps in a game, multiple sets of terrain in a game,...
Civ II: Test of Time is my favorite - and in fact, I've got a game going right now in another window. I'm playing the Fantasy scenario, and am at war with the Infidels, Goblins, and Merfolk (I'm playing the Buteos). I know where the Elves and Humans are - just saving them for extermination later.

if I wanted to try a later version, what would the best fit be?
I highly recommend you try Civilization: Call to Power (*only* the first one. NOT Call to Power II).

I highly recommend you try Civilization: Call to Power (*only* the first one. NOT Call to Power II).
That game was AWFUL! A horrendous disappointment... :(

Is ctp1 much better than ctp2? I have played the last one, but it is impossible for me to like it.
Can I buy ctp1 somewhere?

Check out The Battle of Polytopia for your mobile device.
I can also remember having much fun playing the game Advance Wars for GBA.
It's easy to find online.

Edit: Oops I thought you were talking outside of Civ but still check em out.

The general consensus, based on my readings, is that:
Civ1 is a classic even though has some serious shortcomings
Civ2 is a timeless classic
Civ3 had nice ideas but fell short of lofty expectations of Civ community
Civ4 is another timeless classic
Civ5 missed the mark big time
Civ6 too early to tell

I have personally played Civ1 and Civ2 extensively though I have not played Civ1 in many years now. I have played only a few games of Civ3 and Civ4; not enough to form a solid opinion. Have not purchased the later versions yet.
I tend to agree wholeheartedly with your conclusions. One thing has changed though; for a long time I never thought that something could be better than the 4th part with expansions - but I was wrong... Civilization 5 was such a disapointment... but later became the most balanced and challenging civ game ever made, after installing the Vox populi mod and I will probably continue to play it for years to come thanks to that. I really can't see how Civ 6 ever can surpass it, since there isn't anything new to it really (besides a few minor things) and since the ai is behaving even worse than it did in vanilla Civ 5. Time will tell.

Does Alpha Centauri count?

Does Alpha Centauri count?
I like Alpha Centauri, but it's "made to a purpose," and not nearly as flexible or multi-faceted as Civ can be.

not nearly as flexible or multi-faceted as Civ can be.
Alright, I'll bite: what's more flexible or multi-faceted in the Civ games than Terraforming, Probe Teams, Supply Crawlers, and the Unit Workshop?

Alright, I'll bite: what's more flexible or multi-faceted in the Civ games than Terraforming, Probe Teams, Supply Crawlers, and the Unit Workshop?
Completely and easily changing the graphical look and layout to go along with complete changes to everything by text files (the latter of which Alpha Centauri can do, but the former of which is near impossible without specialized and, I believe, hard-to-find and no-longer-sold graphics programs).

Is ctp1 much better than ctp2? I have played the last one, but it is impossible for me to like it.
Can I buy ctp1 somewhere?

I've got something like an unofficial strategy guide for CTP1 sitting on my desktop; it's actually pretty good once you figure out the gnarlyness of the game mechanics.

I've got something like an unofficial strategy guide for CTP1 sitting on my desktop; it's actually pretty good once you figure out the gnarlyness of the game mechanics.
May I re-iterate how HORRIBLE that game was. I think the CD-Rom might still be rotting on my shelf, but certainly, if it's still there, it hasn't been installed for YEARS!

Top Bottom