1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the furthest you've played to with VP?

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by TheOneHitPupper, May 19, 2020.

1. TheOneHitPupper

TheOneHitPupper Chieftain

My style of gameplay leans toward peaceful world building, up until I get attacked and then I go into total war. This means games well extend into the modern era. Sadly, I notice that the Community Patch starts breaking after year 2050 (on Quick speed ~330 turns). Random CTDs, freezing while saving, etc. This happens regardless of what mods I've used on Standard/Small map settings with 21 AI players, so I'm sure VP is the culprit.

I've run into this limitation through every beta iteration of VP for roughly the last year on two separate machines. Currently running a Ryzen 7 1700X / GTX 1080 combo so I doubt it's hardware limitations. I'm suspecting it's a matter of the game being 32-bit and running out of memory. Is there any way around this or am I doomed to prematurely ending every game?

2. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

If you mean turns, 500 turns on standard

3. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

I've made it as far as 550-600 turns on Epic speed, mostly by playing through the strategic view mode :).

4. saamohod

saamohod Prince

Does it reduce chances of crashing?

5. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

Oh, yes. For me at least, very much so - that's the reason I started doing it. I think partly because there is so much going on graphically towards the end-game (and my PC struggles to process it at the same time as the other stuff).

6. tothePAIN

tothePAIN King

If I'm playing a warmonger game and it starts to crash, I turn on strategic view for when I process turns but am usually able to leave it on for my own turn.

JamesNinelives likes this.
  7. kerotonic

kerotonic Chieftain

I might be wrong but...

Shouldn't a soft which runs out of memory start swapping on hard drive ? That would obviously slow performance but at least, avoid crashes. Maybee is there some debugging work about all of this ? Now my C/C++ knowledge is weak...

I'm saying that because I'm discovering Vox Populi (I'm an old CivFan who is coming back to Civ5) and I was happy to play another way. Now, to know that it might crash is quite disappointing. :undecide:

By the way, sorry for my english which is more some sort of globish. :goodjob:

8. Tugboatspotter

Tugboatspotter Warlord

@kerotonic

A 32bit program can only use up to 4GB of memory (ram or virtual ram) as a physical limit, due to 2 to the power of 32 = 4gb(approx)

vyyt likes this.
  9. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

I think it also speeds up late game turns a bit as well.

10. Recursive

Recursive Covets Lands That You Currently Own Moderator

We don't have access to the full DLL, sadly - this includes much of the code relating to memory and save files. Blame Firaxis for not releasing the code 10 years after the game's release. :rolleyes:

saamohod, Drakul and JamesNinelives like this.
  11. anastazjasz

anastazjasz Chieftain

Strange, I'm playing heavily modded VP (14 mods atm + some extra civs), always huge communitu_79, (cos extra resources mod is well fitted for the script) 15 AI and 25+ Cs, always epic, on low-end Lenovo with 8gb ram and I have 0 issues to finish the game with the future tech if I want, no ctd, no problem loading or saving...literally I don't remember to ctd VP for a looong time. Also I've never used strategic view.

Ofc I use the lowest possible graph settings and also playing with Direct 9 option instead of D10/11, which makes everything slightly bigger (what can u expect from 15 inch screen) but I'm not using VP for its beauty...

Asterix Rage and vyyt like this.
  12. LarryAR

LarryAR Chieftain

Until this month I played on an aging pc using Intel i5-2390T cpu with 8GB and Radeon HD 6450 graphics card with only 512mb.
    With that machine I often played huge map to the end and beyond. Quick moment, quick combat. Low graphics.

I can not remember any freezes when saving. IIRC Crashes to Desktop occurred occasionally after multiple reloads of the same position or more often when using not recommended memory hungry mods like R.E.D.

Now I've got a new machine, flipped all the switches to high res.; the game goes on, no problems.

13. kerotonic

kerotonic Chieftain

Ok. I thought the limitation was only about RAM. But it makes sense.

Didn't know that. Sad...

14. Recursive

Recursive Covets Lands That You Currently Own Moderator

Anything the VP team changes in the code pales in comparison to the GB used by art assets. If you're experiencing lategame crashes, start by turning your graphics settings to minimum.

15. vyyt

vyyt Deity

I play on epic huge Tectonic (which is huger than normal huge), with 18-22 civs, 30-40 other mods (I am even adding a few new units with art assets) and I haven't experienced a CTD forore than a year. I keep most of the graphics on the medium settings. I don't play far into the future era, but I often finish with the science victory.

With the original version of Flag Promotions mod my screen was getting stuck in the industrial era (the game was actually responding, when I was clicking around or issuing commands with keyboard). Restart and reload fixed it for a few turns and then it happened again. This was more than 1 year ago. Since I stopped using the old Flag Promotions (now I am using the new one), I have never had any problems.

16. Der_Zorn_gottes

Der_Zorn_gottes King

I play on huge maps, Marathon speed.
    Games usually go until turn 850 - 950.

17. Sevarian

Sevarian Chieftain

Currently playing a YNAEMP Giant Earth game on a modified marathon speed. Think I'm on turn 650, no crashes thusfar. Turning the leader detail to minimum (no animation) is pretty much the only thing I change, and that seems to help a lot.

18. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

Love your OOTS profile pic btw :).

19. Drakul

Drakul Warlord

What are you specs?

20. Sevarian

Sevarian Chieftain

Ryzen 5 2600x
    gtx 2060
    16gb ram