What's the furthest you've played to with VP?

TheOneHitPupper

Chieftain
My style of gameplay leans toward peaceful world building, up until I get attacked and then I go into total war. This means games well extend into the modern era. Sadly, I notice that the Community Patch starts breaking after year 2050 (on Quick speed ~330 turns). Random CTDs, freezing while saving, etc. This happens regardless of what mods I've used on Standard/Small map settings with 21 AI players, so I'm sure VP is the culprit.

I've run into this limitation through every beta iteration of VP for roughly the last year on two separate machines. Currently running a Ryzen 7 1700X / GTX 1080 combo so I doubt it's hardware limitations. I'm suspecting it's a matter of the game being 32-bit and running out of memory. Is there any way around this or am I doomed to prematurely ending every game?

Does it reduce chances of crashing?
Oh, yes. For me at least, very much so - that's the reason I started doing it. I think partly because there is so much going on graphically towards the end-game (and my PC struggles to process it at the same time as the other stuff).

If I'm playing a warmonger game and it starts to crash, I turn on strategic view for when I process turns but am usually able to leave it on for my own turn.

I might be wrong but...

I'm suspecting it's a matter of the game being 32-bit and running out of memory. Is there any way around this or am I doomed to prematurely ending every game?

Shouldn't a soft which runs out of memory start swapping on hard drive ? That would obviously slow performance but at least, avoid crashes. Maybee is there some debugging work about all of this ? Now my C/C++ knowledge is weak...

I'm saying that because I'm discovering Vox Populi (I'm an old CivFan who is coming back to Civ5) and I was happy to play another way. Now, to know that it might crash is quite disappointing. :undecide:

By the way, sorry for my english which is more some sort of globish. :goodjob:

Oh, yes. For me at least, very much so - that's the reason I started doing it. I think partly because there is so much going on graphically towards the end-game (and my PC struggles to process it at the same time as the other stuff).

I think it also speeds up late game turns a bit as well.

I might be wrong but...

Shouldn't a soft which runs out of memory start swapping on hard drive ? That would obviously slow performance but at least, avoid crashes. Maybee is there some debugging work about all of this ? Now my C/C++ knowledge is weak...

I'm saying that because I'm discovering Vox Populi (I'm an old CivFan who is coming back to Civ5) and I was happy to play another way. Now, to know that it might crash is quite disappointing. :undecide:

By the way, sorry for my english which is more some sort of globish. :goodjob:

We don't have access to the full DLL, sadly - this includes much of the code relating to memory and save files. Blame Firaxis for not releasing the code 10 years after the game's release. :rolleyes:

Strange, I'm playing heavily modded VP (14 mods atm + some extra civs), always huge communitu_79, (cos extra resources mod is well fitted for the script) 15 AI and 25+ Cs, always epic, on low-end Lenovo with 8gb ram and I have 0 issues to finish the game with the future tech if I want, no ctd, no problem loading or saving...literally I don't remember to ctd VP for a looong time. Also I've never used strategic view.

Ofc I use the lowest possible graph settings and also playing with Direct 9 option instead of D10/11, which makes everything slightly bigger (what can u expect from 15 inch screen) but I'm not using VP for its beauty...

Until this month I played on an aging pc using Intel i5-2390T cpu with 8GB and Radeon HD 6450 graphics card with only 512mb.
With that machine I often played huge map to the end and beyond. Quick moment, quick combat. Low graphics.

I can not remember any freezes when saving. IIRC Crashes to Desktop occurred occasionally after multiple reloads of the same position or more often when using not recommended memory hungry mods like R.E.D.

Now I've got a new machine, flipped all the switches to high res.; the game goes on, no problems.

@kerotonic

A 32bit program can only use up to 4GB of memory (ram or virtual ram) as a physical limit, due to 2 to the power of 32 = 4gb(approx)

Ok. I thought the limitation was only about RAM. But it makes sense.

We don't have access to the full DLL, sadly - this includes much of the code relating to memory and save files. Blame Firaxis for not releasing the code 10 years after the game's release. :rolleyes:

Didn't know that. Sad...

Strange, I'm playing heavily modded VP (14 mods atm + some extra civs), always huge communitu_79, (cos extra resources mod is well fitted for the script) 15 AI and 25+ Cs, always epic, on low-end Lenovo with 8gb ram and I have 0 issues to finish the game with the future tech if I want, no ctd, no problem loading or saving...literally I don't remember to ctd VP for a looong time. Also I've never used strategic view.

Ofc I use the lowest possible graph settings and also playing with Direct 9 option instead of D10/11, which makes everything slightly bigger (what can u expect from 15 inch screen) but I'm not using VP for its beauty...

Anything the VP team changes in the code pales in comparison to the GB used by art assets. If you're experiencing lategame crashes, start by turning your graphics settings to minimum.

I play on epic huge Tectonic (which is huger than normal huge), with 18-22 civs, 30-40 other mods (I am even adding a few new units with art assets) and I haven't experienced a CTD forore than a year. I keep most of the graphics on the medium settings. I don't play far into the future era, but I often finish with the science victory.

With the original version of Flag Promotions mod my screen was getting stuck in the industrial era (the game was actually responding, when I was clicking around or issuing commands with keyboard). Restart and reload fixed it for a few turns and then it happened again. This was more than 1 year ago. Since I stopped using the old Flag Promotions (now I am using the new one), I have never had any problems.

Currently playing a YNAEMP Giant Earth game on a modified marathon speed. Think I'm on turn 650, no crashes thusfar. Turning the leader detail to minimum (no animation) is pretty much the only thing I change, and that seems to help a lot.

Currently playing a YNAEMP Giant Earth game on a modified marathon speed. Think I'm on turn 650, no crashes thusfar. Turning the leader detail to minimum (no animation) is pretty much the only thing I change, and that seems to help a lot.
What are you specs?

Top Bottom