What's the future of Civ 5?

BjoernLars

Warlord
What will happen to this game?

I think the community has the ideas and knows what it wants. With the coordination and hard work by some dedicated few, lots of testing and tweaking, I think the community can make it into a good game.

Personally, I think Fraxis got the ball rolling for a new Civ 5 game, but I think it is up to us, the community to make it into something more.

I think Civilization 5 is a terrible game, especially when you compare it to Civilization 4. The mods people make here always make the games better, but to me, Civ 5 is broken beyond repair and I'll just stick with Civilization 4. But hopefully people here will be able to make good mods that will make Civ 5 tolerable. :)

I am decidedly optimistic. All of the very creative and hard-working modders out there have already made the game much more enjoyable. I expect this trend to continue. Thanks for everyone's efforts!!! I think this game will be great!

Weird, if unpatched & unfixed by official Firaxis staff_devs.
Bleak, if left into the hands of some freaky users all too willing to bash away for no good reasons at everything here in these CFC_Forums or abroad in the whole psychotic www-realm.

Superb potential, if dedicated modders (and plenty more others!) are allowed to perform their usual magic for whatever they damn well please.

Excellent perspectives of everlasting value, if the stand-alone new concepts are actually perceived for what they truly are -- an alternate gameplay design both different from earlier Civ iterations and in how it tackles the casual & hardcore gamers of this highly modernized DLC bandwidth driven consuming paradise of 2011+.

Then.. Else..! :lol:

I personally hope that they (Firaxis) tweak the core game even further (-> Rework most of the production Buildings and make Wonders worth it) and fix some of the larger imbalances in the game mechanics. I personally really liked the few DLCs that they released and I of course hope we'll get an Expansion with additional Game Concepts.

Not much will happen to this game.

Sure, there will be some more patches with some changes.

As soon as the SDK is fully released, some people will do modifications.

But to really improve the game, it would have to be re-written from the ground. In its core, it will always be a inferior Panzer General clone. There's only so much what you can do with modding, when the founding doesn't support it.

Is it really possible to re-due the multiplayer lobby-game setup, ping display, connection network? I think the poroblems are too deep.

Is it really possible to re-due the multiplayer lobby-game setup, ping display, connection network? I think the poroblems are too deep.

"Possible" is everything. That's the reason why people still are saying "I thing the game has potential"

Potential, noun: vague hope for future changes for the better without any indication that they will happen.

Most of the issues of the game could easily be fixed with an expansion pack. However, I fear that Firaxis will continue push their greed and exploit our desires to waste small sums of money. By this I mean that Firaxis will continue to release DLC, the one true evil in this world. If this is so, no expansion pack will be released. Patches and DLC will be future of the Civilization V and the series.
Anyway, with future versions of the game I would hope to see fixed diplomacy, smarter AI, increased production speeds, reduced maintenance costs, increased happiness yield, and decreased research speeds.

Most of the issues of the game could easily be fixed with an expansion pack. However, I fear that Firaxis will continue push their greed and exploit our desires to waste small sums of money. By this I mean that Firaxis will continue to release DLC, the one true evil in this world. If this is so, no expansion pack will be released. Patches and DLC will be future of the Civilization V and the series.
Anyway, with future versions of the game I would hope to see fixed diplomacy, smarter AI, increased production speeds, reduced maintenance costs, increased happiness yield, and decreased research speeds.

They'll release an expansion. They throw in one new game concept, and package it up with all the previous DLC released, and charge 30 bucks, and everyone will be running to the mall to get it.

Whatchu mean "everybody", Kemosabe? ;)

Frankly, I don't think the game will improve dramatically. There are some elements of it that might, certainly. Diplomacy MIGHT be able to be fixed. The AI MIGHT be improved sufficiently to use 1UPT effectively. Maybe not WELL but at least effectively. Other elements might be tweaked. New game mechanics might be added (or might not). Stability will probably be improved. MP might be improved as well.

But at its core, I think the game will be what it is now. If you like the overall design, groovy. That's unlikely to change in any fundamental way. If you DON'T like the design, and are holding out hope that an expansion or DLC or patch will fix that....dream on. The game is what it is. To totally revamp it would require a significant investment of resources, and I doubt that 2K will do that, especially given how they already slashed resources.

I think the game is lost to hardcore gamers like myself, due to the 1UPT fiasco. That (as Sulla has outlined in his piece here ) has so many ramifications (military, economic and diplomatic) and has distorted the economic system, in particular, such that it no longer feels like a civ game. It is the 1UPT choice that skews the game so badly such that it plays quite well at the middle levels (Prince and Monarch say) but becomes a boring slog through a carpet of doom at higher levels (particularly Deity). Simply scaling the production and maintenance costs to allow the AI to have larger armies is a disaster at the top end when you have only a few hexes to put stuff on. And the AI just can't handle this in any way. The problem for the AI is much harder than moving a main army in a stack.

Only if the next major expansion completely revamps the combat system to allow stacking will the game be recovered. That doesn't mean going back to an unlimited SoD but some middle position where limited stacking is allowed. There are lots of ways that could be done and all would make a better game than we have now. But that means an overhaul of the combat system and a rebalancing of the production costs and unit maintenance. All the graphics, music and many screens can be retained, but the core gameplay needs to be redone, including the AI, and that's a big expensive job. I can't see it happening.

I'm not holding my breath and won't be buying any expansions that don't address this core issue. :)

Whatchu mean "everybody", Kemosabe? ;)

Frankly, I don't think the game will improve dramatically. There are some elements of it that might, certainly. Diplomacy MIGHT be able to be fixed. The AI MIGHT be improved sufficiently to use 1UPT effectively. Maybe not WELL but at least effectively. Other elements might be tweaked. New game mechanics might be added (or might not). Stability will probably be improved. MP might be improved as well.

But at its core, I think the game will be what it is now. If you like the overall design, groovy. That's unlikely to change in any fundamental way. If you DON'T like the design, and are holding out hope that an expansion or DLC or patch will fix that....dream on. The game is what it is. To totally revamp it would require a significant investment of resources, and I doubt that 2K will do that, especially given how they already slashed resources.

I think you're right, but from the perspective of someone that likes the design, I don't feel like a "revamp" or "dramatic improvement" of the game mechanics is necessary. Which means, if they make either single player or multiplayer competitive in some meaningful way and mop up some of the stability issues, I'll be quite satisfied with the game.

As for future releases, I think we'll see new civs continue to be released as DLC, but I do not think they'll be included with an expansion pack. Why? Because publishers are greedy, of course. The expansion pack will instead have two civs that aren't available as DLC, and then focus on UI/multiplayer improvements and a new gameplay mechanic.

Of course, then we get to wait a year while someone tries to code an AI that can use the new mechanic. So, take that for what it is, haha.

I think the game is lost to hardcore gamers like myself, due to the 1UPT fiasco. That (as Sulla has outlined in his piece here ) has so many ramifications (military, economic and diplomatic) and has distorted the economic system, in particular, such that it no longer feels like a civ game. It is the 1UPT choice that skews the game so badly such that it plays quite well at the middle levels (Prince and Monarch say) but becomes a boring slog through a carpet of doom at higher levels (particularly Deity). Simply scaling the production and maintenance costs to allow the AI to have larger armies is a disaster at the top end when you have only a few hexes to put stuff on. And the AI just can't handle this in any way. The problem for the AI is much harder than moving a main army in a stack.

Only if the next major expansion completely revamps the combat system to allow stacking will the game be recovered. That doesn't mean going back to an unlimited SoD but some middle position where limited stacking is allowed. There are lots of ways that could be done and all would make a better game than we have now. But that means an overhaul of the combat system and a rebalancing of the production costs and unit maintenance. All the graphics, music and many screens can be retained, but the core gameplay needs to be redone, including the AI, and that's a big expensive job. I can't see it happening.

I'm not holding my breath and won't be buying any expansions that don't address this core issue. :)

I'm not a hardcore or high-difficulty player, myself, but I find the game to play quite poorly even at the lower levels, and I too attribute it to the stuff Sulla outlined. I tend to play at lower difficulty levels, enjoying the experience of just building an empire, but even at low difficulty, that process is made tedious and downright laborious at times. It's a chore to play the game, for me. In my opinion, 1UPT is a dismal failure which was only ever introduced to "solve" an existing game mechanic. It's a bush-league "modder" move, rather than what I'd expect of someone who designs whole games. You make one change to "fix" an existing game mechanic, then realize you have to make a boatload of other changes to make that one change work -- which you do -- only to end up with something that's neither an engaging tactical battle game, nor an engaging empire-building game.

To me, it's like the Club Dread of turn-based gaming. Not funny enough to be a comedy, not scary enough to be a horror film.

I think you're right, but from the perspective of someone that likes the design, I don't feel like a "revamp" or "dramatic improvement" of the game mechanics is necessary. Which means, if they make either single player or multiplayer competitive in some meaningful way and mop up some of the stability issues, I'll be quite satisfied with the game.

That's perfectly cool. I mean, I may decry what happened with the game and see deep, fundamental flaws in the game's design that affect (I daresay, infect) the game in far-reaching ways, but I would not deny someone else their enjoyment. In many ways, though, that highlights the very failure of the game.

Beyond the simple "I miss [game mechanic from past game]," I think the true failure of Civ 5 is to be as broad in its appeal as prior entries (yes, even Civ 3) were. If the game had been better developed, we ALL could be happy, rather than only one side or the other being happy. Past entries in the series accomplished this to greater or lesser degrees. But with Civ 5, you have either "fanboys" or "haters" (yes, I'm painting with a very broad brush here, and deliberately so). There's a real divide in the fan community about the game, and there just didn't need to be.

Even though I recognize that there are players who LOVE the new game, I hope they recognize that the folks who dislike the game don't just dislike it for little insignificant reasons, and that the very real split in the community's reactions underlines the fact that -- at least on some level -- this game dropped the ball. Not in the sense of making YOU personally happy, but in the sense of providing the community as a whole with a game that they can at least all be SATISFIED with, if not necessarily over-the-moon enthusiastic about. Ideally, we should ALL be happy with the game, and it's a damn shame that such a large portion of the fan community really isn't happy with how this one turned out.

As for future releases, I think we'll see new civs continue to be released as DLC, but I do not think they'll be included with an expansion pack. Why? Because publishers are greedy, of course. The expansion pack will instead have two civs that aren't available as DLC, and then focus on UI/multiplayer improvements and a new gameplay mechanic.

Of course, then we get to wait a year while someone tries to code an AI that can use the new mechanic. So, take that for what it is, haha.

Yeah, I'd agree that, as far as future DLC/expansions/patches for this game, there probably will be a few. Hotfixes/patches to resolve some of the AI issues (psychotic diplomacy, for example). DLC will be more civilizations, map packs, and maybe scenarios. Some "pro-level" mods, too, maybe a la what came packaged with BTS and Warlords. Expansions will probably add/modify existing game mechanics to a degree. Maybe tech trading will return (ha! Have fun with that... "Give us this technology...NOW WE HATE YOU BECAUSE YOU GAVE US TECHNOLOGY!!!"). Maybe religions will appear again in some other form. Hell, maybe a "moonbase/Mars" feature will be added to allow the game to progress past the modern period and be played on two separate maps -- Earth and the moon/Mars. I have no idea. But that'd be the direction I expect things to move.

As for the marketing...some civs/maps will be DLC-exclusive. Some might be rebundled with an expansion. Eventually a "Game of the Year" edition will come out that will package everything together (or a de facto "GOTY" via a big Steam sale).

And then that'll be that. On to Civ Facebook. Or another franchise entirely.

I have been negative about this game for a while now, criticising most of it and thinking about going back to Civ4, but I have to admit: The last few days have kind of rehabilitated CiV for me.

If you try to play Civ5 like you used to play Civ4, it's no fun. But I've tried 3 games with Ramessess II. where I only built one city an all the wonders (I actually only passed on the lighthouse, the colossus and machu picchu, cause I had neither mountains nor was I coastal) and won a cultural victory in the end. IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!

Here's how I see it:

A couple more patches, fixing some instabilities, changing the diplomacy, buffing the AI a bit (they're talking about possibly fixing AI city spacing in the hotfix for example) and tweaking various things that people complain the most about.

At least one expansion, that I'm gonna guess will have its main selling point be more city-state interaction, and more civs (obviously). This game is making them plenty of money, of course there's gonna be an expansion or two.

Meanwhile, the heavy lifting of tweaking etc is in the hands of the modders (as always). They will polish the balance up to a sparkling shine (oh wait, they already pretty much have).
Someone will figure out how to really tune up the AI, and then Firaxis will incorporate their changes into the main game in a patch/expansion, as always seems to happen with these games (cf Civ IV, HoI3 etc).

Plus I think it's a good base platform for more ambitious mods. Simultaneously, some clever people will find a way to take the base mechanics to make major mods that take the whole game in new and interesting directions ala FFH.
Others, I'm sure, will add whole piles of complexity onto a more vanilla experience in a way that hopefully will satisfy those who think vanilla falls short of the mark.

Here's how I see it:

A couple more patches, fixing some instabilities, changing the diplomacy, buffing the AI a bit (they're talking about possibly fixing AI city spacing in the hotfix for example) and tweaking various things that people complain the most about.

What you are describing would be a complete overhaul. Not going to happen. Sorry, dude.

It's what happened in the last patch; I don't think it's so unreasonable to expect something on that level again, even if it's spread over a few patches. I'm not talking huge changes here.

I have to disagree with the bolded part.
What we've got with the last patch was that they skipped a feature even they by themselves were unbable to fix (Pact of Secrecy, Pact of Cooperation) and therefore they went the typical "CivV road": they erased that feature (like they did with many features from previous Civilization games) and replaced it with something which doesn't work either - the denouncements.

In combat, the AI is still braindead. Archers running furiously into your swordsmen.
But to compensate, they made captured workers step one hex away, so that you have difficulties keeping them.

Yes, they tweaked some numbers in the xml-files. Ah, and not to be forgotten: crashes have become more frequent AFTER the patch.

Really, very encouraging for the future. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom