What's the MOST annoying AI behavior?

What annoys me the most? It seems every single time I am JUSt about ready to launch a perfectly planned attack on one civilization (spied troop locations, units almost ready to move in, attack route completely mapped out), another one will declare war on me and ruin all my plans!

Luxury trading annoys me as well, I find diplomacy to be somewhat shallow thanks to the fact that you'll never have an AI friend. I mean I can see Bismarck and Ceaser always wanting to take wahts yours but when Gandhi starts threatening me with nukes I think that's a little out there.

The most annoying AI habit in my opinion,is their seeming ignorance of the concept of borders. They will declare war on you if you don't let fifty swords go within striking distance of your capital so they can destroy some barb camp on the other side of the continent, and yet they threaten world war if you send a defenceless worker to connect one of your cities that has been cut from the rest of your cities because the AI built a city in the one tile left on the continent. The germans did this in the game i'm playing now, just wait till I get longbowmen. :evil: :king:

Borders and roads...

To me the most annoying AI behavior is disregard of roads within my borders. In the middle of a war, a friend AI settler/spearmen couple shows up out of nowhere, trespassing my territory and blocking vital roads.

The most annoying thing is when I pay them a large lump sum fee for a military alliance and the AI chikens out and signs a peace treaty 5 turns later. France does this very often.

zex said:
it really pi**es me off that ai just knows how many units are deffending each of your cities. and of course, the head to your weakest.

You can use this to your advantage in order to set a trap for the AI. ;o) You can purposely take units out of a city of your choosing so that the AI will head in that direction and you can position an ambush right outside the city (or somewhere along the way) to take them out before they reach that city's doorstep.

Doing so will make the AI predictable, and thus, easy to manage.

When the AI builds a city right in the middle of your territory because you have a tiny little neutral tile and their culture expandds before you can take the city culturally. :mad:

henry k c said:
The most annoying thing is when I pay them a large lump sum fee for a military alliance and the AI chikens out and signs a peace treaty 5 turns later. France does this very often.
ROFL!
I hate when that happens.
The AI can be so gay sometimes.

mtakil said:
Borders and roads...

To me the most annoying AI behavior is disregard of roads within my borders. In the middle of a war, a friend AI settler/spearmen couple shows up out of nowhere, trespassing my territory and blocking vital roads.

Its almost like an unspoken alliance. It seems they are clearly helping but theres no official alliance. Sort of stuff you see in multiplayer.

What I found really annoying was the rep hit you took when a civ you were trading with is vanquished or the trade route got broken through no fault of your own.

Stacks of death (SoD) where the AI sends stacks of dozens and doezens of spearmen into your territory and do nothing but pillage improvements while you throw everything you got at them. And it takes many turns to kill all of them. :mad:

In modern age, I always end up using nukes against SoDs. Even in my own territory if the SoD is big enough to cause me frustration.

I hate AI ships patrolling my coasts -- especially those noisy frigates. It is for this reason I own so many privateers around the late medieval/early industrial game. I also hate it when the AI prevents you from using your own territory, like in the picture below. I was playing as Prussia in Napoleonic Europe and invading Spain. However, my allies were sending so many troops to help that all of my armies (I had four just in that neighborhood), cannon, and cavalry were stuck waiting for almost ten turns. :mad:

Attachments

• prussia.jpg
    prussia.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 325
Every so often I'll have a small patch of neutral land all the way on one side of my nation, flanked by the sea and my borders, and the AI will try every turn to move a settler/spearmen through my border to get there. Oh they'll move back when I threaten to declare war, but then the very next turn there they are again, so I am constantly yelling at them every turn.

What annoys me the most is that the AI seems to have been more stupid i Conquest. Right now the russians that Im in war with traveled right beside my transport with a destroyer and they didnt attack.
I think the AI is worse than in Vanilla-version.

skisphereo said:
Every so often I'll have a small patch of neutral land all the way on one side of my nation, flanked by the sea and my borders, and the AI will try every turn to move a settler/spearmen through my border to get there. Oh they'll move back when I threaten to declare war, but then the very next turn there they are again, so I am constantly yelling at them every turn.

That can indeed get tiresome lets hope that Civ IV can deal with these little things better than Civ III.

Respawning AI can be anoying. You have wiped a particular nation out and then they appear again. Only ever happened 3 times that i remember but in one of those games they just appeared in the middle of my empire. Ok they didt last long but it was like hey how did you get there ?

henry k c said:

What makes me mad is that if you sign for peace.. ever.. your fellow MA partner gets really angry. I signed peace once just to get breathing room from the enemy and reach my UU through tech. My partner went from gracious to furious in only a few turns. And the moment the peace deal ended and I was ready to join again, my X partner signs for peace .... then latter on declares war on me!

I also hate how the AI never knows when its whooped. You can beat it down to its last cities and because its mad at you for taking its cities.. it will refuse to even trade tech with you.. short of a city for peace. And if it does ever trade a city for peace.. it seems to strip it of all improvements first, your better off just taking it and hoping a couple improvements survive.

evil tryant said:
The most annoying AI habit in my opinion,is their seeming ignorance of the concept of borders. They will declare war on you if you don't let fifty swords go within striking distance of your capital so they can destroy some barb camp on the other side of the continent, and yet they threaten world war if you send a defenceless worker to connect one of your cities that has been cut from the rest of your cities because the AI built a city in the one tile left on the continent.
I agree, ultra annoying.

In a number of areas the AI holds one extreme standard for itself and its fellow AI's. And the opposite standard for you. Hypocritical program!.. oh wait it is just a program.. NM.. still annoying though.

It annoys me when you have a luxury an AI player hasn't got and they have a luxury you haven't got, yet they won't trade it for any reasonable terms. Instead of accepting a straight trade, they'll settle for nothing less than half your treasury and a couple of your techs as well!

This is compounded by the fact that they obviously have no one else to trade with because a couple of turns later, they'll still be sitting there with the luxury lying idle and yet they still won't accept a reasonable deal.

Don't they realise that a spare luxury doing nothing is wasted?

Note, this happens even when their attitude towards you is polite...

The computer understand little about fair trades to say the least. I understand it trying to get a good deal but some things are just outrageoues. In the current game im playing the Ottamans idea of a fair trade was Currency, Litreature and Construction for there world map, o they wanted my world map as well of course. When i removd all the techs it went over to they would be insulted by this, even with just one removed they goto who never except this deal. If i just took my world map out tho it went to we are getting closet to a deal. No sence in it at all.

Top Bottom