Whats the most outlandish technology that you can think of that might be possible?

Which outlandish technology do you beileve is possible?

• Total voters
Ramius75 said:
Still im not so sure about the possiblity of going back in time. Maybe we can view back in time which is possible, but going back physically ? im not that sure.
Note that viewing the past involves information travelling into the future, so that doesn't cause any problems associated with travelling back to the past.

It's viewing the future which would also involve problems, as that means information is travelling back in time.

Myzenium said:
That doesn't involve information travelling faster than light, so it doesn't count as what we usually mean by FTL travel. If you actually read the article, it says:

"Einstein said information can't travel faster than light, and in this case, as with all fast-light experiments, no information is truly moving faster than light".

There are all sorts of ways we can making some conceptual thing go faster than light - e.g., shine a laser at a distance object, move it, and the spotlight could travel faster than light. But obviously in this case there is no actually physical thing travelling faster than light - the spotlight is just something we see.

Also imagine one of those LED displays with scrolling text. You could make the text move faster than light, but that doesn't count as FTL travel.

Perfection said:
But you don't actually believe these views are not mainstream and are doing that to try to prove some twisted little point. So I feel no neccesity to dig out links for my points.

If you have legitimate criticisms I'd be happy to hear them, but don't make up crap and pretend they're legitimate questions.

Are you accusing me of sarcasm? :lol: I said your views are not mainstream. If you can't back them up, then you obviously didn't think through the issues enough. Thoughtless people like you should be watching TV rather than posting on an Internet forum.

Myzenium said:
Are you accusing me of sarcasm? :lol: I said your views are not mainstream. If you can't back them up, then you obviously didn't think through the issues enough. Thoughtless people like you should be watching TV rather than posting on an Internet forum.
Tell us which of the things he said were possible you think aren't possible, and we'll dig up some links.

Perfection didn't just randomly attack someone for not providing links - he only questionned, because someone claimed something was theoretically possible (i.e., FTL travel and time travel were possible) which he (and I) don't think is true.

mdwh said:
That doesn't involve information travelling faster than light, so it doesn't count as what we usually mean by FTL travel. If you actually read the article, it says:

"Einstein said information can't travel faster than light, and in this case, as with all fast-light experiments, no information is truly moving faster than light".

There are all sorts of ways we can making some conceptual thing go faster than light - e.g., shine a laser at a distance object, move it, and the spotlight could travel faster than light. But obviously in this case there is no actually physical thing travelling faster than light - the spotlight is just something we see.

Also imagine one of those LED displays with scrolling text. You could make the text move faster than light, but that doesn't count as FTL travel.

What do you mean, "that doesn't count as FTL travel"? It's tangible, it traveled FTL, so it's as valid as any other scientific stuff here.

Tell us which of the things he said were possible you think aren't possible, and we'll dig up some links.

All of it. :p

I added something to that post after you replied, you may want to view it.

Myzenium said:
Are you accusing me of sarcasm? :lol: I said your views are not mainstream. If you can't back them up, then you obviously didn't think through the issues enough.
I certainly can back them up! I just don't care to spend all that time to demonstrate it when you aren't doing it out of legitimate interest in what I am talking about but to counter my polite request regarding clarification as to which nonmainstream view starlifter is refering too!

Myzenium said:
Thoughtless people like you should be watching TV rather than posting on an Internet forum.
Too bad! I'm here too stay! :smug:

Perfection said:
I certainly can back them up! I just don't care to spend all that time to demonstrate it when you aren't doing it out of legitimate interest in what I am talking about but to counter my polite request regarding clarification as to which nonmainstream view starlifter is refering too!

You're evading my question, Perfection. Can you prove it or not?

Myzenium said:
What do you mean, "that doesn't count as FTL travel"? It's tangible, it traveled FTL, so it's as valid as any other scientific stuff here.
*What* travelled at faster than light?

Okay, so you can shine a laser and make the spotlight we perceive travel faster than light. Big deal. What you can't do is make matter or information travel faster than light.

Myzenium said:
Perfection didn't ask someone to back up everything they had ever said. If you genuinely disagree with a particular thing he claimed is possible then by all means ask and I'm sure we're all happy to help, but otherwise it's just trolling.

mdwh said:
Okay, so you can shine a laser and make the spotlight we perceive travel faster than light. Big deal. What you can't do is make matter or information travel faster than light.

I never said matter could travel faster than light. :p Yet you seem to believe it. Can you prove it can't, or are you just stating an opinion?

And since I'm bored, I'll start things off anyway:

For future time travel and gravity equalling acceleration, see special and general relativity. I presume you will accept that as mainstream?

Interstellar travel - well why shouldn't it be possible, as long as you don't mind it taking a long time?

For teleporting, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_teleportation .

Myzenium said:
Not really, because any of those fancy sci-fi applications of FTL are completely impossible without FTL information transfer.

Myzenium said:
That's a lie.

mdwh said:
Perfection didn't ask someone to back up everything they had ever said. If you genuinely disagree with a particular thing he claimed is possible then by all means ask and I'm sure we're all happy to help, but otherwise it's just trolling.

The burden of proof is on him. If he can disagree with Starlifter, then I can disagree with him. I want proof of his statement on page 1. Is that too much to ask? :p

Myzenium said:
The burden of proof is on him. If he can disagree with Starlifter,
I'm not sure if I disagree with Starlifter.
Myzenium said:
then I can disagree with him.
You can, but I don't think you actually do
Myzenium said:
I want proof of his statement on page 1.
Which statement and why?

Myzenium said:
I never said matter could travel faster than light. :p Yet you seem to believe it. Can you prove it can't, or are you just stating an opinion?
I never said you did say it. And I never said that I believe matter can travel faster than light.

Perfection said:
Force fields.
Force fields exist everywhere, but they really are different from what you are probably imagining in a science fiction sense. There are some things that have some of the properties ascribed, (magnetically contained plasma sheets being an example) but they require massive energy and probably couldn't be implemented in a manner seen in science fiction.

Time travel (Forwards only)
Well, that already happens.

Time travel (Forwards and backwards)
I doubt it, every proposed physical mechanism requires assumptions outside of mainstream physics.

Gravity generation.
GR demonstrates that acceleration and gravity are really one in the same, so it's pretty easy to generate gravity by spinning something. One could also devise something that uses Electromagnetism to simulate gravity. However, the grav-plating on all those Sci-fi shows is utter fiction.

Intersteller travel.
Certainly feasible under current understanding, mostly an engineering challange.

FTL travel.
I doubt it, like time travel, every proposed physical mechanism requires assumptions outside of mainstream physics.

Teleportation.
Been done, but I doubt one could teleport things much larger then a molecule.

Terraforming.
Sure, could be done, would probably take a long long time to do though.

Fusion power.
Quite plausible, we're nearing the point where we break even energetically. However, economic viability is a whole different ball-game.

Blackhole generation.
Certainly possible, if nature can do it, so can we. The question is how hard is it for us to do, and can we make small ones in labs. I don't have sufficient knowledge to answer that questino.

Other.
I think the most outlandish is the technology that we could use to alter ourselves. It's only a matter of time before we'll have the technology to enhance our mental capabilities significantly, the cultural impliciations of this is fascinating.

These views are not mainstream. Prove each one of them with Internet resources. Have a good time doing it. :p If you can demand proof, I can too.

Myzenium said:
These views are not mainstream.
You're lying.
Myzenium said:
Prove each one of them with Internet resources. Have a good time doing it. :p.
Why should I?
Myzenium said:
If you can demand proof, I can too.
I never demanded proof from starlifter.

Myzenium said:
These views are not mainstream. Prove each one of them with Internet resources. Have a good time doing it. :p If you can demand proof, I can too.
It seems likely you are just trolling.

But see my comment from earlier where I gave a start on a few of these.

The thing is, we don't even know what type of thing Starlifter was talking about. It's not that we necessarily say he is wrong, but we don't know what sort of thing he means when he says that FTL travel is possible. Does he just mean things like scrolling LED displays, or is he talking about actually sending matter or information faster than light?

It's not much of a discussion if any attempt to ask for more information results in you going "Well I demand proof of everything you have ever said".

Top Bottom