What's the point of Friendship?

1. You can't declare war on each other. I actually find this a hindrance early in the game. The AI will sometimes ask for a Declaration of Friendship right before settling a city right in your face, or declaring war on someone else nearby. But it goes both ways: If I'm planning to attack one neighbor, I may make a DoF with the others, just to prevent a surprise attack.

2. You can sign Research Agreements. I don't know if you need a Declaration of Friendship to declare a joint war.

3. You get positive diplomatic modifiers with anyone who likes the civ you're declaring friendship with, and negative points with anyone who hates them. Keep in mind, the latter is not necessarily a bad thing. If you're trying to goad a target into declaring war on you (to minimize the warmonger penalties), declaring friendship with their worst enemy can help drive down their opinion of you.

They won't attack you while friendship is active, that's about it. A bit of a double-edged sword, but I tend to use that in the early game to win the time and position for a first strike at my neighbor.

It's also required for further stuff like alliance (not that you can get one in the current version anyway though :D ).

You don't need to be friends for a Joint War though, you may be on the verge of denouncing each other even.

Well, and there are some extra benefits for being friends with Gilgamesh (or being friends with others if you are him).

You also can't denounce each other. When denounced trade deals are much worse and open borders aren't available.

So sometimes I will declare friendship before attacking someone else; to delay being denounced. Basically, get all the good deals in first.

It's a non-aggression pact. The AI will like you for it but you may regret letting them expand peacefully. In the meantime you can send trade routes and missionaries worry-free.

It is a bond between two people, biologically some may say that it is a function the we developed to help us survive and to work better in groups, or even to make the process of passing on genetic material easier, sociologically it is about creating a bond that at its core is about sharing mutual experiences, confidences, and maybe a little join stupidity.

Friendships are fun in multiplayer team matches. once a dude declared freindship with me forgetting that you can't declare war, so his teammate was unable to declare war to my teammate. we laughed so hard.

I wonder if we were in the same game.... the exact same thing happened to me.
probably not, it was a private game with some friends. i used the term "some dude" to avoid confusion. "a friend of mine declared friendship with me" wouldn't have sounded very logical, would it? :crazyeye:

Friendships are fun in multiplayer team matches. once a dude declared freindship with me forgetting that you can't declare war, so his teammate was unable to declare war to my teammate. we laughed so hard.

I also took advantage of this when my teammate quit and was replaced by an AI. For some reason another human with a powerful army accepted friendship from the AI, then couldn't do anything about my expansion in his direction.

That's it- what do I get if another Civ wants to be my friend?

You get the benefit of letting them forward settle you with impunity.

In addition, you get the benefit of pretending that friendship actually means something in Civ 6 and war is not the best solution for everything~

Seriously though, don't ever make friends ever. They'll do it so they can freely do horrible backstabbing things like conquer your city state allies.

C'mon, on any start where you are boxed in by multiple AIs strategic use of DoFs is a good option. Conquering one neighbors with the knowledge that Gilgamesh or Montezuma won't attack you when they are at the peak of their power, while they are building an empire for you all the while, is a very good thing.

It's a bit like dating, finding someone who is compatible with your agenda and won't grow too big for you or vice versa. Then you can get a civil servant to marry you into an alliance. If you get a research agreement you have real chemistry.

C'mon, on any start where you are boxed in by multiple AIs strategic use of DoFs is a good option. Conquering one neighbors with the knowledge that Gilgamesh or Montezuma won't attack you when they are at the peak of their power, while they are building an empire for you all the while, is a very good thing.
Yeah, it's a bit too good, actually. Especially in early-to-mid-game where things can change fast, a couple of consecutive friendships with a neighbour can leave you too much at peace to do whatever you like elsewhere.

Top Bottom