What's Your Army?

I've just had an idea. I think im going to use enslaved Imperial Guardsmen as a Gretchin Mob in my army. I have several thoughts on how this could work:

1) The NiteHorkz have an unusually low Gretchin population, so those few Grots are either helping Mekboyz, repairing vehicles or carrying ammo, and can't be wasted as cannon fodder.

2) The difference in stats (IG are WS:3, BS:3, S:3, T:3, W:1, I:3, A:1, Ld:7, Sv:5+, while the Grots are WS:2, BS:2, S:2, T:2, W:1, I:2, A:1, Ld:5, Sv:) is due to malnourishment and the conditions in which the oomies are held, making them weaker, slower and (obviously) demoralised.

3) Cap'n Jakk and his Piratz are so hated by other Orks (even Blood Axes!) for their looting and pillaging that they captured the slaves and gave them, and their services, to Warboss Pee-Joo in exchange for protection.

If i go ahead with this plan (i want to find out if it would be legal in 'official' battles first), i'd probably use catachan jungle fighters, since they are wearing sorta raggardy clothes, and certainly wouldn't be using the IG armour, since that would've been looted for other uses.

On of the main reasons for this plan is that in Oz, four Grots cost $18, while 20 catachans cost $50. since i was going to have a mob of 20 anyway, $50 beats $90 every time. plus, the grots are metal, while the catachans are plastic, so conversions and differentiation would be soooo much easier.

Just carve down their arms a bit- them boys are well built I tell ya @_@
Imma go get some pics of some bits of my armies up soonish too :)
A City of Death style Chaos army, A Nurgle death squad, some custom built plaguebearers, lava themed tyranids, a trator imperial force, and one dwarf.

"this, some that, lotsa those... and one dwarf"... :rotfl: How come you have only one? :)

I think that arm carving suggestion is pretty good. I mean, a catachan could take on an orc just with a good knife. Or so the novels claim.. Not to mention Sly Marbo. He could probably kill an ork with its own tusks or something!

Does anyone know if a man-at-arms as a WH pikeman unit, and the battle pilgrim as an "infantry" unit would make sense. I mean, do the tabletop rules and stats support this? Disregard the Grail Knight enlsavement for now. I`m trying to sort something out.

He's the Stuntie that came free with White Dwarf :D Pretty well painted if I do say so myself...

I got ze High Elves, but I also play with the Brets and some Emps and some Orcs. I love Pointy-Eared Guys because they are kick butt. They are mainly militia and they can school some of the warhammer world's best pro soldiers of other races.

They are my most rewarding race, you can't charge with everything you have(like orcs), and you can't stand back and only pummel enemies from afar(woodies). They look awesome on the Battlefield too.

The bad, bad, bad, thing about them is that they are freakin' expensive. A Brettonian Man-at-Arms costs around 5 points. A High Elf Spearman costs 11 points. Not to mention Orcs are like 2-3 points.

But anyway I have a Mounted Prince(My General:)(trying to find Dragon!!!) and 2 Foot Heros and 2 groups of 20 spears, 1 group of 16 Archers, 1 Bolt Thrower. My army is still growing.

I hope to get a 4,000 pt. army. With at least 1 group of everything(2 groups for core).

Sounds good DragonBird. Any pics? :)

I ended up getting Cadians instead of Catachans for the very reason you stated: they are just too buff! Im gonna really beat up the IG armour, big bullet holes, scratches, maybe some branding scars and welts and stuff, as well as add chains to their ankles, maybe some ball and chain stuff, and i was also thinking wires and stuff going into their helmets, kinda of a crude Ork version of a electro-shock collar, to keep da oomies in line.

The Slaver would then have a "Big Red Button" hanging off his hip, to push when the oomies get roudy. i checked with the guys at my local Games Workshop and they said as long as a let an opponent know they are a Grot mob and i dont use them as anything else, it should be fine.

on another note, i was the 100,000 customer at the store, so i won a limited edition Warhammer 40,000K rulebook :D

Thanks! My mate was especially pissed off at me, since i've been gaming for only a couple of months and he has for several years!

What colours do you think the slaves should be wearing? they still have their armour, albiet pretty badly damaged, so should it just be caked with mud, grime, oil and blood?

Slaves aren't treated very well, I'd imagine if their slavers were Orks that they'd have a few gashes, a lot of bruises, and yes, very dirty. So I'd suggest that you start with neutral colors than mix it up a little.

And about the pics, I'll see what I can do. (Maybe in a week(No Camera :())
I'll look through my pics already on the computer. I think I may have my fav. Model. (think)

@ dragonbird: what is your favourite model? the Mounted Prince?

I reckon i'm going to paint the slaves uniforms a little lighter than those in the "how to paint" articles at various WH40K sites, so the blood and mud stands out more

and i think im gonna give the slaver a cattleprod :D

ZZAAP! (would the Orks have cattleprods. Give him a Squiggith prod)

May fav is this model type,
Spoiler :

painted very different thou, I got this off the warhammer website

I'm not the best painter by any means. But if you want to see horid painting you should battle one of my friends Orcs & Gobbo armies... I mean WAAGH!s. It looks like an Orc painted it!

Is that an Archer or a Shadow Warrior?

A mate of mine says that for $50 he'll give me his Orcs and Goblins army, which has two mobs of boyz, arrer boyz, nightgoblins and some black orcs, i think. 1000+ points i've been told. he had two chariots, but apparently one got stepped on and he ruined the other one by trying to take it apart after sticking it together :sad:

Its neither, Its technically a Hero. I use him as a commander.
High Elvish Chain-o-Command:
1. Prince
2. Commander
3. Archmage (#s 2&3 are switched sometimes)
4. Mage

Be sure to inform us with your progress :)

Oh, and photo-documented battle reports would be neat too ;)

I want to see how much the guys in GW use Photoshop in mini previews, cos I`ve been on some gaming forums, and saw some horrible, horrible painting. Like.. you broke an egg all over the mini or something.

My 2nd Space Marine even without touching up looks better than that. And those Golden Daemon people are ... they are not humans. I`m sure of it.

Top Bottom