What's Your Army?

To win a Golden Demon award you must be possessed by one ;) They are masters, but they must have had sooo much practice to get that good.

I shall keep you informed, and i was planning to photo-document my next attempt at the black templars. i'm starting to paint the second mob of boyz now. i've done their skin and metal parts, and some of them i have painted the clothes.

The armour that Lukky Pegz is wearing looks great. i gouged chunks out of the shoulder pads, chest plate and a shoulder pad i put over his spine, then lightly drybrushed boltgun metal over it, leaving black in the recesses. i'm gonna go over the boltgun metal with possibly tin bitz to add a little discolouration, then dab some red gore. i shall post a pic of the progress soon.

Ok here he is:

Lukky Pegz: he is lucky cos he has lost an ear, an arm, a leg, and got nasty scratches down his face. his armour is also hell beaten up, and (although you cant really see properly in the back shot) he has collected the heads of his enemies: a space marine head, a rival ork, and a lizardman head that is just a random xenos. he is also standing on a severed human head :D

Make sure not to leave the leg so shiny and new in particular for several reasons - its down there in the dirt, gun-barrels or exhaust pipes are ne`er so clean, especially if he helped himself with something of ork produkshn.

He lost an arm and a leg.. Sounds like he got divorced and his wife had a good attorney :D

You know what I don`t get? How the hell do they paint SM eye lenses.. and then even highlight them! Then again, I only have the GW Starter Brush - "makes yer boyz look decent!". I suspect the detail brush could be usefull ;) But how do you get just the slightest bit of color on the brush? Drybrushing?

I`m eager to see your BT project :)

a very fine, well-cared for brush, i would say. i've only got a start brush too, and its all haggard already :p

i dont really use drybrushing to highlight, i wet my brush and make it a fine point, get a little bit of paint on it, then carefully run it along any edges i want to highlight. it takes some time and patience, something i didnt have with some of my earlier models...

You know what I don`t get? How the hell do they paint SM eye lenses.. and then even highlight them! Then again, I only have the GW Starter Brush - "makes yer boyz look decent!". I suspect the detail brush could be usefull ;) But how do you get just the slightest bit of color on the brush? Drybrushing?

I`m eager to see your BT project :)
I've never used a GW brush, but as far as i've gathered they're quite bad. There's other stuff available that's cheaper and/or better.

As for dry brushing I'd recommend using a square brush. Put a little bit of paint on it, and brush it off on a newspaper or similar. A square brush is much more sturdy, and thus you won't be ruining your ordinary brush.

BTW, I ordered Chaos Warriors, another Beast Herd, and a blister of Bestigors yesterday. :)

Chaos Warriors? I thought you were pure beastieboy player :) Undivided?

Mrtn - the thing is, there aren`t really any hobbycraft shops here, `cept the one that has little or no GW stuff. The thing that saved me (and doomed my wallet) is the fact that GW now accepts Maestro (tho I am having troubly with that, my first transaction has failed, and their customer support is not quite... supportive.). And since I`m a totally newb at all this, I suppose I should follow their advices and use what they offer. I can experiment later, when i`ve got the basics of it. Also, the Starter Brush really made my Ultramarine looks "decent". Maybe it just depends on the person?

Anyone uses those new paints, btw? They seem cool.

I'm more of a painter than a player, actually. So I'm buying Chaos Warriors because they are some of the coolest models ever, not because how they handle themselves in a beast army.

As to paints and brushes, I use what is relatively cheap and good. Thus I use mostly Vallejo colours, and non-GW brushes. If you have a hobby store in town (selling Märklin model trains and stuff like that) then check them out. I imagine that it's much cheaper to buy a pot of Vallejo* colour than having to buy GW paints from abroad.
Use the starter brush until it's finished, and then, when you've learned a bit more too, you can buy another pencil from another company. BTW, all brush sizes are standardised.

*Vallejo has a paint series called Model Color, which has the same colours as the GW set (and similar names, like Bone White instead of Bleached Bone), which comes in better bottles, and (here at least) cost about 60% when comparing money per ml.

I`ll go snoopin around. I still haven`t visited the "gaming club" that is apparently located a few miles from my house. Maybe they could offer me some useful info, like you did, thank you, I want some ice-cream, there`s a giraffe, and a pony, can`t stop typing, help!

Ah there.. all good :crazyeye:

LMR! - basecoating is what they are there for. Oh, mrtn? Does the Vallejo range include such colors too? I presume you know what I am talking about.

As far as I've heard Vallejo generally gives better coverage than GW paints, but of course there are differences from colour to colour. :) But no, I don't think they have any special base colours, apart from white and possibly black primer.

Found them! You`re a lifesaver mrtn! :)

A pot of GW color is 30,00 kn and a pot of Vallejo is 20,00 kn!! Its good if they are both 17ml like the Vallejo. Have to go snoop around GW site to see what they say. Not so lucky on the brushes tho. Oh well, I`ll look some more.

Thank you!

Congratulations LMR! for having the coolest thread on CFC! :D

Why thankyou Stormy :lol:

I might go and have a look see at some of the cheaper paints too. although i usually go to my mate's place and use his paints, since he is paying me back 'cause he was lazy and didnt get his drivers license til late, which meant i had to drive him around everywhere.

now i drink and paint at his place for free! :D

Yea I have a prob too, the nearest hobby store that supplies GW stuff is 45 min away. With gas at the prices it is, its kind of hard for me to get there.

As far as primers in paint go... First I paint a very thin layer of white. Then use 3 dollar white spray paint and make it white (tip! Use the spray paint in several thin layers). The last thing just for overkill I paint another thin coat of skull white over the sprayed, just in case the spray isn't exactly white, and to help hold the spray on too.

Or if you play a less... happy race, and/or you're not too pro a painter, a black undercoat works best. Maybe that's just my tendancy for a darker, eviler army :D

Happy race, I never thought of it that way... Heres an excerpt from the High Elf army book. Even in times of relative peace, the High Elves are never at rest. They constantly patrol the barren shores and bleakest hills as they watch for the inevitable Dark Elf raiders; the evil Druchii who sank their homeland beneath the waves and who steal their children and slaughter their kin. Little wonder then that battles between them are bitterly fought with no quarter asked or given. Yes that sounds happy. yep;) . And yes, I know that I'm not a pro painter, mrtn's beasties are 5 times better than mine.

Top Bottom