What's your biggest blunder?

Apart from the UN blunder, which was a mis-click, I also have some good ones on the tactical level. In my very first PBEM game I was eager to conquer Sun Tzu, that was just built by the Celts. When I delcared war, I cut the trade route that I had to Arabia. The trade route went trough Celtish land and the Arabs didn't have harbours yet. My rep was shot and I was never trusted since then :eek:

In another game I sent about 60 cavalry towards the other human opponent, only to find out that the Iroquois blocked a crucial choke point. The other human immediately got the world against me and the Chinese and Iroquois killed 30 units in the interturn. :wallbash:

@Sabo10: that's a good one :lol:

Originally posted by sabo10
Mine was when I first started playing Civ III a long time ago ;) and I was making a gold per turn deal with an AI civ, well you know the two sides say "We'll accept" and "We'll give" well I forgot witch "We" was who, I ended up thinking I got a GREAT deal, the next turn my gold is draining at about 150 GPT, I was GIVING the gold rather than TAKING the gold... yeeesshh

That's terrible! I am always worried that I'm going to do that one day. Just forgot who "we" are and pay money I don't wanna give. Just declare war on em' for a little while and everything should be peachy. :lol: How come the foregin advisor never let's you know when you are making a lopsided deal to your detremint, but will let you know when you aren't giving enough? Someone is a double agent...

@Aggie: I'm not even going to try to mention some of my tactical blunders, there are way too many :)

@Superevie: "we" (as in the royal "we") is always the person speaking (as in the player). If you just remember that you, as a leader of a civilization, are royalty, you will not mess up ;)

Why does the foreign advisor never tell you about ripoffs? Because when the foreign advisor says the deal is acceptable, most players then go ahead and try to reduce their offer, until he says that it is not acceptable. Therefore, most trades happen at the barely acceptable to the AI level, which means there is no need for letting the player know if a trade is horribly lopsided towards the AI.

Originally posted by Coorae
I renamed my victorious knight to "Knight in Galley". that didnt work too well
LOL!
Dont have any huge 1 mistake blunder to mention. Though I can say that I frequently get myself in trouble by not building enough military. Find myself playing catchup all the time. :sniper:

I've misclicked when intending to ask the AI what they would offer for something and instead clicked "accept as a gift" It's happened several times.

I also forgot to turn on auto save and played 100+ turns w/o saving, then have the game crash on me. I only made that mistake ONCE.

I usually make half a dozen small blunders and at least one giant one per game. My favorite lately has been gifting things to other Civs by mistake, I done it twice in my current game already. DOH!! :rolleyes:

Lets see. If a game takes about a month then ..... (blunders per game * 12) * the number of years playing = ......... wait a minute. Im a Diety, my people worship me (they are always having WLTKD celebrations for me) I can not make BLUNDERS. I make strategic decisions that may seem strange or erratic to meer mortals but are a necessary part of a long term strategy that is beyond the comprehension of simple folk. If I decide to just give away my total Ivory and Incense production to the Romans then I have a very good reason for doing it. Anybody want to question that :whipped:

Originally posted by RegentMan
Well, there are some cases in which voting for your opponent might be smart.

Please enlighten me.

Straying from/using modified (my own) versions of Grout Tactics. Gotta keep it simple and follow the rules, but I always think that I've made some 'genius' modification to the tactics.....and then I beat myself and have to start all over again.

when i nuked the top 20 largest citys in the game (excluding 1 of mine that was revulting:p and no, im not jokeing..) and every one teamed up aginst me.. ( it was a real world map, i had controled all of europe, all of russia but aiberia all of china but the cost, korea,all of mid east, india, southeast asia, all of n. afiraka, to central africa, every thing from pana down the weast cost of s. america and northern part of s aerica, only the the aztexs and irqua wher on my siade, both atacking america from the north and the sound forcing the loss of all of maericas weast cost.. so realy only china, japan, aerica, and the 2 citys indai had left was at war with me, i ges it wasnt that big of a blunder, till u nuked my allies too :p )

my biggest was invading the egyptains thinking that i ahve enough unit. i had about 30 rider and a couple of artilley. but the next turn the egypatinas quickly captured my arilley an dmove it to their city. but thank goodness. i have MPP with the rest of my and egypt's nebor. the japanese , greek and the roman declare war on the egypatians the next turn. we were in continenatl map. just four of us. i'm in the middle. greece to the north west, egypt tot he northeast. japan to the southwest and roman to the south east. ofcourse the roman signed military alliances with everybody ealse int he othe rcontentient. so it bascilly the world world agains tthe egypatians. so that was my biggest blunder. i could have lost my entire civilization becaus eof that.

Build up a huge army to invade my only real competitor, Carthage, in a border city. Declared war before moving in order to avoid violating my ROP with them and then accidentaly ended my turn. Hannibal nuked me immediately and my beautiful army of MA was in tatters. He rolled his forces in quickly and I was suddenly suffering from deep, thrushing rectal pain. My game never recovered.

Me and 2 other civs left. I'm at war with both and winning. Build UN, it asks "Do you want to call a vote?" Stupid me clicks yes. Outvoted 2 to 1, I lose.

Originally posted by Hygro
Please enlighten me.
There are six civs. You are civ "A" and you're not one of the top dogs. Civs B, C, and D all have a MPP with each other, and B is a candidate. You can deduct that there'll be three votes for B. Civs E and F also have an MPP, and E is the other candidate. Now you can deduct two votes for E. Who will you vote for?
If you vote for B: It'll be 4-2. You lose.
If you abstain: It'll be 3-2. You lose.
If you vote for E: It'll be 3-3. A tie!
So voting for an AI may be smart in the right situatuion. You just need to pay close attention.

My biggest blunder was on my first ever regent game. Ghandi was about to build the UN (and win), I freaked and nuked his capitol. Needless to say, he didn't like that too much. For the next 10 turns, I got mercillesly wooped by the Indians who nuked everything I had and rolled me up with their MA's. I hastily tried to get some Military Alliances goin', but apparently people didn't like my treatment of India. I lost... badly... very very badly. :(

Originally posted by RegentMan

There are six civs. You are civ "A" and you're not one of the top dogs. Civs B, C, and D all have a MPP with each other, and B is a candidate. You can deduct that there'll be three votes for B. Civs E and F also have an MPP, and E is the other candidate. Now you can deduct two votes for E. Who will you vote for?
If you vote for B: It'll be 4-2. You lose.
If you abstain: It'll be 3-2. You lose.
If you vote for E: It'll be 3-3. A tie!
So voting for an AI may be smart in the right situatuion. You just need to pay close attention.

Yes but in this situation you do not have the option of voting for yourself.

yes i know but its obvious that you are not going to vote for yourself if you are not one of the cantidates, i see your point i was jsut trying to clear up some confusion

Biggest blunder, when i first got the game, thinking I'm safe because the Apollo Program hasn't been built yet and then losing to a SS launch (think it was a Great Wonder in Civ1 and II and didn't realise it's a small one in Civ 3)

Top Bottom