What's your biggest blunder?

Biggest blunder to date: Thinking it was possible to cash rush Space Ship parts! I had loads of cash, over 70K , and, boy, was I ready for a high tech spending spree! Gettin' ready to party down in outer space.

Not.

:faint:

:aargh: :wallbash: :deadhorse:

And that was in an HOF attempt (which got accepted, despite my blunder).

Ever rushed a settler with your first MGL?

That was pretty special.

only allowing cultural victory and in the same game i destroy all the other civs, only if I had allowed conquest and domination victory :|

similar to Sashie's, my first civ game, i don't remember it that well, but I have a particular memory of a warrior in the middle of american (who I was at war with) territory somehow beating a fortified musketman and getting an MGL. Then something about it falling over for some reason when a guy mounted on a horse with a gun moved onto his square. Then again, I didn't realize it was a blunder when that happened.
Oh, those good ol' cheiftain games...

Not my biggest blunder, but in one of my first games I had a size 2 desert city with fair shields and minimal food set to build a settler. Oddly enough, the settler never developed and years passed till I realized you need 2 spare population.

My biggest (and most often repeated blunder) is warring with inadequate forces. The AI gets a ton of vets and eleites and I go home with my tail between my legs.

Ever rushed a settler with your first MGL?

That was pretty special.
I disbanded my first MGL to try to rush a Wonder (PTW).

:eek:

Yep, disbanded my first ever Roman MGL to build the Pyramids and it didn't work.

Either I didn't see the right button or it wasn't there. Well, when the Wonder wasn't built I knew I had done something wrong. I didn't really think that disbanding was the right thing to do, but it seemed to be all that I could do.

:shake:

I had also automated my workers in that first game, until I saw them spending 10 turns walking from one corner of the empire to the other to build a road.

I didn't win that game.

I disbanded my first MGL to try to rush a Wonder (PTW).

:eek:

Yep, disbanded my first ever Roman MGL to build the Pyramids and it didn't work.

Either I didn't see the right button or it wasn't there. Well, when the Wonder wasn't built I knew I had done something wrong. I didn't really think that disbanding was the right thing to do, but it seemed to be all that I could do.

:shake:

I had also automated my workers in that first game, until I saw them spending 10 turns walking from one corner of the empire to the other to build a road.

I didn't win that game.

:lol: :rotfl: :lol:

Not my biggest blunder, but definitely the stupidest: I built a city, didn't defend it. The Germans landed 2 Longbows, which I bombarded to 1hp. I then forgot about them and ended the turn. Next IBT, the city is destroyed. Kill the Longbows easily, move a settler in and resettle. 2 turns later the Germans return, and damned if I don't repeat the entire sequence. In that game, that same city was burned and resettled at least 4 times. One time, I even put 2 Guerillas as defenders. Whaddaya know, they were easily whupped by 2 Longbows. All this over 6 Domination tiles that were not needed in the end, as I won by Domination before I got to resettle that cursed land.

Aside from the occasional worker pair unintentionally joining the invasion force (not that it's a bad thing...), I think once I left 1/3rd of my invasion force at home (on ships), thinking they were on the ships that I had selected (after transfering injured and healed units over from ship to ship).

Here's another blunder that sticks in my memory. Not the biggest, but funny nonetheless. Before I started using the keyboard to control worker actions, (obviously) I used the mouse. I had a stack of workers roading a mountain somewhere, guarded by 1 cavalry, IIRC. I had a big ol' stack of workers, and there I was, happily clicking along, and forgot that a cav was sitting in the pile of workers. It went something like this:

Road
Road
Road
Road
Road
Road
Road
Road
Road
Road
Road (completes)
Pillage
D'oh! @#$#@#@!!:wallbash:
Road . . .

^ He he...

Many times!

Another thing that's extraordinary painful is to accidentally set one or more workers on automation once you have railroads all over. They'll happily go on doing all the things you don't want them to do!

@Aabraxan: I recently had a similar issue. I was busily destroying the Mayan homeland, and I had used a combat settler to build a little home for some armies to heal and my artillery stack to bombard from. In the middle of bombarding away, my next combat settler (intended for building a new town once I razed Copan) pops up. I hit "b", and my town goes from size 1 to size 3, and I have to wait for the next set of transports to cross the ocean to build a replacement city.

Here's another blunder that sticks in my memory. Not the biggest, but funny nonetheless. Before I started using the keyboard to control worker actions, (obviously) I used the mouse. I had a stack of workers roading a mountain somewhere, guarded by 1 cavalry, IIRC. I had a big ol' stack of workers, and there I was, happily clicking along, and forgot that a cav was sitting in the pile of workers. It went something like this:

Road
Road
Road
Road
Road
Road
Road
Road
Road
Road
Road (completes)
Pillage
D'oh! @#$#@#@!!:wallbash:
Road . . .

Oh man, I hate that - I still do that. I use a laptop with a touch pad and it's brutal sometimes if you use a lot of slaves.

Plus, the program screws with you. If you move a stack of workers from a stack with other stuff in it, it toggles between your moved workers and what's left behind in the original stack, so if there's say a horseman there, clicking away could result in pillaging a road.

Further, if you go to some workers and want to road first when you have control of some other workers, the program sometimes yanks you back to that other stack and you have to keep switching over if you want other workers to do something first.

Yes, I hate fighting the game over which units are to be selected, if I select a stack, don't yank me away from it.

Yes, I hate fighting the game over which units are to be selected, if I select a stack, don't yank me away from it.

Amen, brother. There was a thread about the element you'd like most to see fixed--this one tops the list for me. I swear my games take twice as long to finish because of this.

Biggest blunder? Getting addicted to this! :lol:

Seriously, my biggest blunder was building the UN & agreeing to an election without exactly knowing what was going on. I figured the 3 of us that were left would just vote for ourselves & that would be that. surprise, surprise! I had been cruising to an easy win before that.

I turned off diplo wins after that :lol:

kk

No need to turn it off. All victory conditions should be in the game to make it more challenging IMO.

Just make sure that you build it and don't hold the election - or, even more fun, make sure that the AIs never build it (keywords: war, pillage, sabotage).

^ He he...

Many times!

Another thing that's extraordinary painful is to accidentally set one or more workers on automation once you have railroads all over. They'll happily go on doing all the things you don't want them to do!

This one really bugs me. Sometimes I spend half an hour scrolling all over the map to try to see where an accidentally-automated worker ran off to.

Amen, brother. There was a thread about the element you'd like most to see fixed--this one tops the list for me. I swear my games take twice as long to finish because of this. . . .
I'll join in this chorus, too. When you've got large stacks roading and railroading, this is what drives me nuts:

Right click.
Activate worker.
Build road.
Scroll right from the far side of the world.
Locate stack that I'm looking for.
Right click.
Activate worker.
Build road.
Locate stack . . .

I'll join in this chorus, too. When you've got large stacks roading and railroading, this is what drives me nuts:

Right click.
Activate worker.
Build road.
Locate stack that I'm looking for.
Right click.
Activate worker.
Build road.
Locate stack . . .

Drives me nuts too.

The Zulus started a war with me. And I launched an amphibious assault with twelve units without any preparation or recon. I lost 4 samurai, 3 swordsman, 3 longbowman,and 2 catapults. DOH!!!

Edit: Later in the same game. I was able to get 16 or 17 more units on the Zulu shore. I was counter attacked by16-20 units. It turned into a slugfest. I walked away with 3 injured samurai. Zulus left with 2 injured horsemen.

Top Bottom