1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What's your biggest blunder?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Matrix, Sep 28, 2003.

1. DS_Legionary

DS_Legionary King

I'd say mine was when I launched my first nuke(s). I was originally only going to attack Japan. So, I launched one of my 30 or so ICBMs and then the Aztecs declared war on me. So I launched some nukes on them, and on and on it went. Until I had gotten every civ mad at me, and I used all my nukes. Needless to say the AI's were hurt very badly, and they were all on diferent continents.

So I finished up my last component for my Spaceship about 3 turns later. And I went ahead and launched it so I could leave all the nuclear winter I had just created behind (not to mention all the civs who hated me for turning about 25% of their land to desert, and creating MASSIVE Global Warming)

Man, for a blunder I think that ended up working out good for me. :)

2. rilnator

rilnator Emperor

Accidently pressing the wrong button when Elizabeth offered me dyes and horses for an absolutely outrageous price ( I'm talkin like over 100 gold per turn plus a couple of techs.) and also forgetting to save a game that I played from about 100 AD thru till 1400.

3. Matrix

Matrix CFC Dinosaur Retired Moderator

Couldn't you load an autosave, rilnator?

4. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

My greatest blunder was in my first Monarch game while I was still learning how war works. I built up a decent sized army of cav, musketeers and cannons. Then I tried to march straight on the Viking capital located three city rings deep into their empire without first taking out the cities in between. The attack went in piecemeal. I got flanked so bad by their cav and tons of my straggler units were picked off. I didnt know how to travel and keep my men alive. They had rifle men in their cities on hills too.

5. LouLong

LouLong In love with Rei Ayanami

First, I must say this thread is extremely funny :lol: :lol:

Now, my biggest blunder ? Well, I think it was a disband initial settler (by wrong clicking). Any takers on that one ?
    Stupid enough but at least I did not get the frustration some had at the end of a long game ;)

6. Superevie

Superevie Latina Goddess™

What happened then? :eek: If you get rid of your settler, how do ever make another one again??

7. budweiser

Your only chance is to pop a goodie hut.

8. Superevie

Superevie Latina Goddess™

I think it's time to restart the game when it comes down to that. :lol:

9. budweiser

Not necessarily. The ai is a gimp. It would boil down to luck. I would try it on Monarch. A really good player might make it work on Emporer. An expasionist civ would be even easier.

10. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Trekkie At Large

On the turn before I launched my SS, I decided to celebrate by nuking everyone. So I used all of my ICBMs- I had dozens of them in my core cities- on my neighbors, allies, trading partners. Didn't matter to me- they couldn't get to my capital in one tun.

During the interturn, the Persians sent some bombers at me, trying to get my improve tiles.. The Russians sent some tanks into my border. I waited for the SS screen to show up, and it didn't! Then I remembered- I had won the game prior with the UN vote. :lol:

11. Xerol

Xerol Emperor

One event where you would want to force a UN tie, even if you are a candidate, is if you're going for some other type of victory(i.e. in a tournament game). The only problem is engineering ties repeatedly until you can achieve your desired victory condition.

12. rilnator

rilnator Emperor

No, no autosave.

13. LouLong

LouLong In love with Rei Ayanami

Well, as some say I tried getting one with my worker (I had no scout). Obviously when you are not expansionist, you are more likely to spawn barbarians which I did on my first goody hut --> shortest game I ever had. I would not have waited for a second goody hut anyway because it would have been real late for me to settle but I did not have to restart, the barbs help me do it. :(

14. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

Placing a wounded army in a rioting city.

It couldn't heal that way anyway
    City flips, I lose my only Army :(

15. FrozenTitan

FrozenTitan Chieftain

ooo rough.

I declared war on Egypt before knowing how much land they truly had. Needless to say, their empire was at least twice the size of mine at the time (early game) and I got completely annihilated.

16. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

Playing on Sid.

17. Nergal

Nergal Prince

Naah playing on Sid is fun, I do it once in a while to see if my game is improving. My most frequent blunder is putting towns in the wrong place. Then realising a lot later. Or moving a whole pile of workers onto a town just as the AI declares war and steals them. Note, dont place workers near possible enemy Civs. Or landing on a mountain next to a Jap city, then finding 30 grinning Jap Swordsmen waiting on the next mountain. The list is endless.

18. Sweetchuck

Sweetchuck King

Realizing I clicked "feudalism" instead of "republic" by accident a thousand years earlier when I started to wonder why my cash flow was sucking.

19. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

I seem to recall clicking "Despotism" when I came out of anarchy one time. . . which may or may not qualify as my biggest blunder. :p

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  20. Sashie VII

Sashie VII Balance of Power

Funny stuff :lol:

I can't really say what was my biggest blunder, but there was this time during my first civ game that I built only warriors and catapults and fortified them all around a Carthaginian town in anticipation for a fight. I was wondering how their border kept expanding and why the military advisor keeps saying they're stronger when I had so many warriors laying seige! Needless to say I have since learned about the wonders of research, resources and strategic warfare.