1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats your favorite Starting Area?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Hakuoh, Nov 23, 2013.

?

Favorite Starting area?

1. Grassland

41 vote(s)
    44.1%
  2. Tundra

3 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Desert

22 vote(s)
    23.7%
  4. Coast

43 vote(s)
    46.2%
  5. Plain

16 vote(s)
    17.2%
  6. Jungle

6 vote(s)
    6.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. VicRatlhead5199

VicRatlhead5199 King

Doesn't matter, just anywhere with lots of salt. :) I can't really get on board with the desert thing though. If you don't get desert folklore and/or Petra desert starts kind of stink and both of those are a crapshoot.

2. jogi

jogi Chieftain

Well it makes sense to a degree, humans do love their salt. Sugar should also be OP, though.

My favorite start is desert floodplains and hills, combined with Morocco, Petra and desert folklore. :king:

3. Arachnofiend

Arachnofiend Perturbed Pugilist

Does salt appear on grassland? I've only ever seen it plains, desert, and tundra. Grassland gets stone and marble instead for its production needs.

4. cpm4001

cpm4001 Goggleman

Salt can only appear on Plains, Desert, and Tundra tiles.

5. orasis

orasis Prince

Coast or plains although the desert has it's charms with the proper pantheon.

6. Blitz Spearman

Blitz Spearman Warlord

Grassland with at least one nearby hill to settle on, with at least 2 stone and 1 cattle around, both of which are pretty common on grasslands. If I have 2 stone and a marble, it is already as good as a desert start for a religion. Also grasslands is more versatile, the Iron and Horse tiles get insanely good when improved, and every single luxury tile will be workable. Desert starts may be op in the right conditions, but I had my share of frustrating starts in flat desert with all the luxuries being those unworkable incenses and non-hill gold in the middle of the desert (2 gold unimproved, 3 gold improved, no food at all).

Also grassland is the best terrain to settle academies.

7. bevelnator

bevelnator Chieftain

While definitely not the best starting position, I'd say Jungle is my favorite start, especially since I like playing as Brazil.

8. Blueboots

Blueboots Chieftain

Are some Civs meant to be much more likely to have certain resources? Like, if I have a grasslands or avoid forest/jungle bias, does that make me more likely to have marble lying around (innate wonder bonus)?

Or, are plains Civs naturally better at expansion and empire maintenance because of circus-spam (horses)?

Or am I just imagining this? :confused:

9. Vitruvius

Vitruvius King

Yup desert floodplains starts are the best.
    1. You will get mining lux
    2. Salt usually found on desert
    3. Build a shrine and desert folklore is yours, AIs dont like it.
    4. Rush petra.
    5. Win.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

10. darkpigraph

darkpigraph Chieftain

You may very well be alone in that :)

For me, definitely plains, for its inherent production potential. you will generally have some wheat and deer around for food.

Second choice is grassland, provided there are plenty stone or horses around to make up hammers.

oh and always coastal. crab ir whales with a lgthhouse are nice.

11. darkpigraph

darkpigraph Chieftain

Another reason salt is so powerful is that it's a mining lux that gives food, so its improvable early and you're not shooting yourself in the foot growthwise by doing so. coupled with the fact that its often quite liberally dotted around you have potential for a lot of lux tradingearlier than you might otherwise. i daresay it might be preferable to have salt as a bonus resource like wheat or cows rather than a lux. Also, i have seen salt on grassland exactly once, around an otherwise plains city that had 6 (!) salt around it.

12. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Emperor

Mountain, hammers, river. And a lot of salt.

13. Merciorum

Merciorum Prince

Desert Coastal Floodplains/River Hill. Especially if I'm Morocco.

14. DutchJob

DutchJob Prince

Every game I start at a plains river with salt is a blast.

I hope they don't nerve it.

15. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Desert. I don't know why, but I simply love deserts in games (IRL I prefer cold places). I don't only mean all those flood plains, desert folklore, Petra, oasis, cool desert resources ETC... It sounds extremely silly, but desert terrains in Civ5 seem so "sunny" and "happy" for me, while tundra or even plains are so depressing :crazyeye:

16. MarauderCH

MarauderCH Warlord

I'll make any start with a river work!

17. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

I tend to favour starting areas with a good defense like mountain ranges or choke point thin bits of land, possibly with a river (also good for defense), hopefully with some other nice resources nearby, but defensive terrain is a priority for me. If the terrain is defensive enough I don`t have to worry about making military stuff as much and can go full on with social and economic speedy development.

I don`t see an option in your list. Rivers I guess.

18. JimBobV

JimBobV Warlord

I actually don't play with BNW or Gods and Kings :blush: I was going to get BNW world soon, because from what I understand it gives you a lot of what Gods and Kings gives you, but with just a few less features

19. Quineloe

Quineloe Prince

I don't even remember how Vanilla Civ 5 worked. It's like talking about a different game, really.

20. JimBobV

JimBobV Warlord

Yeah, I know. I've seen videos and the expansions add so much into the game.

Completely off topic, but I think it was kind of funny how I said "BNW World" by accident, like its some kind of theme park.