What's your worst military disaster?

Naval invasion fleet consisting of about:

4-5 missile cruisers
6 destroyers
3 carriers
transports with around 25 modern armor, 10 mech inf and some mobile sams and arty.

+ wrong end of some tactical nukes.

Wow, this about made me cry! :cry:

I was egypt and I was attacking an overseas Mayan army that was, in numbers, stronger than me, but I had the tech and actual attacking units.

I send an invasion force, as I needed to get rolling to stop others in the area from winning. I'm nicely rolling through, as he left his coastal cities fairly undefended while his inner cities were more heavily armed. I take a couple of cities, and send an invasion force continent side (it was one big continent from west to east, I was west, he was east).

At the time, I was only just getting transports & destroyers. Only had a few on my west coast that were assisting in sending in troops. He's still stuck with galleons and frigates.

Doesn't really matter though.

He somehow ninjas a stack of 10 galleons in my one blind spot in the entire ocean in the area, blasting my west coast with dozens of cavalry, riflemen and artillery, while all of my troops were either heading east to kill him continent side, or heading overseas to ATTACK HIS LIFE POINTS DIRECTLY!

Managed to kill off a couple boats, but didn't have the numbers or blitz.

Would've been torn from the inside out (I leave my cities fairly undefended, as the AI could only really attack strong defended areas), but I went back in time 5 turns and killed most of his invasion fleet >_>

well im here agian. this time im talking bout my last game that i just gave up after what happened.

its late in game and alot of us got rifles and blimps. i in tech lead so i have infantry. i am doing great till shaka wars me and to make matters worst ethiopia fights me too.i see a nice sise sod from shaka moving to one of my outer citys with huge def in it. i send more and then crank out more units. well i thought my 50infantry and 15 cannons would do fine to his 70 rifles and cannons.

in a few more turns after he attaks the city lightly he now has over 100 units and zara finaly pulls up with a 100 sod as well.... i didnt know that many infantry could die so fast.. after seeing that i played on but was in disbileif. i restarted another game after that

Not necessarily my worst military disaster, but certainly my latest.

Drew Stalin of Russia as my leader. Had a decent start spot with river gems (not in a jungle due to capital BFC rules), and 2 close city spots, 1 with rice and river gems x2, the other with 6 flood plains and desert hill gold. No copper, but found iron. Had 6 cities down by 75 BC, with warrior/settler teams in place at 2 other spots.

I'm sandwiched between Ragnar to my southwest, and Genghis to my northeast. There's not much culture pressure on the Mongolian side, but Ragnar and I are in a dogfight for the gold hill. I was winning the culture war due to Islam being founded (intentionally) in that city, with a quick monastery followed by the holy building there. Genghis is Jewish, Ragnar is Confucian, I founded Islam but declined to convert in hopes of staving off the inevitable until I could build a military.

I failed.

75 BC Genghis declares with 3 Keshiks, 2 Swords, and a chariot. Rice/gems city falls next turn with no losses to Mongolian forces. (They killed 2 archers and a chariot and a warrior, but none of my forces had even a single promotion.) As that group then moves toward my unpromoted warrior defended capital, Ragnar declares on me with 3 swords, 2 axes and a spear. 2 turns later I lose capital to Mongolia and flood-gold city to Ragnar.

Sigh.

Technically I wasn't dead yet, as I still retained 3 cities at that point, but there wasn't much point in continuing.

-Sinc

I would say my first real game on settler difficulty :p

Apparently, warriors are not good attacking units. I was ready for my first war with something like 10 warriors, declared, attacked a city (on a hill defended by 2 archer units, oh, and I was attacking across a river.)

Long story short 10 warriors died to 2 archers and I was baffled.

So, around 4-500 AD four people (Charlemagne, Zarob Ethiopia guy, Kublai Khan & forgot who else >_<) declare war on me within about 10 turns. Soon the SoDs start appearing on my border. I have been boosting my military for a while now, suspecting a barbarian wave since I thought I had raging barbs on, plus a lot of neighbors don't like me much. Anyway, every city has 2 archers and some have an axe or spearman. I have recently fought off a 6 unit stack from Charlemagne, a mix of swords and chariots, and just discovered Civil Service. I have a large treasury, so I upgrade all four of my axeman in that defensive SoD to macemen.

As soon as I do that, Charlemagne has another SoD (12 or 13 units) with the same mix of units as before, plus one axeman. I have five macemen (built one extra) and one spearman. I send them out onto a hill and fortify them so Charle won't pillage all my stuff. He attacks me, charging his six chariots up the hill: My macemen defend against them. Well, the macemen all won their fights, but they were weakened. My spearman won as well, but then the swords come... my weakened macemen don't fare too good and my spearman didn't do any damage at all. By the end of the day I lost the whole stack, and this was when Kublai DOW'd me and brought two groups of keshiks protected by swordsmen into my northern territory...

Not to mention that Mansa Musa to my south is pretty pissed at me and will probably join the dogpile any day. The one other guy has a swordsman incoming from the NW and probably a SoD on the way.

So my 'mobile garrison' I guess you would say is gone and I'm being dogpiled big, my spies report more SoDs incoming :lol:

I was #1 but now #2 cause my buddy Ragnar passed me. He and Frederick are my only real friends now.

interesting thread :)
once, in the early days of BTS, i was backstabbed by Suryavarman II, by the way he's so ugly :)

I picked Frederick. i started the game with early rushes and expanded fast after I kill 1/2 neighbours. Then expanded enormously and had a good army. I was about to end the game when Surya backstabbed me. he was my only neighbour and was friendly with me and suddenly I saw 3 stacks in my borders. Each stack had ~15 cavalries and support units.
He captured 2 border cities in his 2nd turn in my borders. In fact I was strong enough to beat him back out but I was so furious with myself why I traded with him before instead of just killing him, I didn't want to continue the game. I was about to finish the game (~30-40 turns to cultural win maybe), that's why I just didn't expect an attack at that time, I really didn't believe it.

After that game, i became even more war-oriented.
There are many leaders in BTS who doesn't declare war before he's in your territory. And they attack at friendly. So, some AI leaders are smart. Well, in fact this is what I do to AIs now.

Chariot-rushing Pacal after seeing he had no copper :rolleyes: Holkans all over the place, killing most of my chariots and then going for my capital using the road I had built. I had no copper either but researched archery soon enough to survive.

Replying to a 4 month old here, but ...

I just had my worst disaster 5 minutes ago. Roosevelt launched his spaceship a few turns before I completed my, but I had an epic invasion force ready at his capital.

This doesn't stop the spaceship from landing, does it? It's already flying through space!

I assume that if you destroy the American Empire, the spaceship doesn't succeed. Vassalizing Roosevelt would still let him win.

(I know you can destroy all spaceship component progress by capturing/razing the capital before it's launched.)

^ Well your reply missed, since taking the capital after launch but before it reaches its destination aborts the mission (maybe they break contact or something). Not taking it before launch. :)

^ Well your reply missed, since taking the capital after launch but before it reaches its destination aborts the mission (maybe they break contact or something). Not taking it before launch. :)

Interesting.

I tried doing a pinch on Zara Yaqob by placing a warrior on a forested hill, and hoping that I could settle some territory next to his capital. Well good ol' Zara decides, to build 2 archers and a worker. The worker missed maybe 4 turns of doing stuff, before the archer attacked. And beat my warrior! I really don't know how this pinch thing is supposed to work!

Chokes rely on the absence of bad luck when they must, and on backup warriors after the first if they can.

In RFC,i sent my Roman Army of 3 Legion's,6 Spearmen and 2 Axemen to attack Arabia.After killing the 2 Longbowmen in their Capital with that army,1 Legion and 1 Spearmen were left.

Happened pretty recently, actually!

38 turns before I was set to win a culture victory as Darius, Hammurabi on my Western frontier decides that he'll have none of that and sends the largest army I've ever seen at me in one SOD. I have Rifles and Infantry while he has Knights and Muskets, but with that many dudes it wouldn't matter if I had death ray squads. Serves me right for attempting to play with a country with no coal, iron, or oil :rolleyes:. He smashes through the two cities I took from him in my last war with him, and then moves up and takes the barb city I took out from under his nose that started the last war in the first place (I had it under siege when he showed up, and if he leaves one injured longbow at the end of his turn, what exactly does he expect me to do?!), while I continuously try to damage his stack with rush-purchased artillery and constant airship bombardment.

He fortunately gets distracted by a barbarian city in the ice flows of the north, giving me time to amass a truly disturbing number of guns, so when he came down to finish me off in three or four spaced out waves I return the favor with a massed cannonade that sends his army reeling and allows me time to swing momentum into my favor. My troops slowly retake all of our lost cities, and the war ends just as I retake the first city I lost and win the game from culture. So millions died to accomplish approximately jack s*** on both sides of the border. I have never seen a more tragic and ultimately pointless loss of life. :(

It makes sense, you know.

Space ships are controlled by they center. If you capture that, an "accident" might happen.

:king: It's evil, but you won't lose because of that! :lol:

the thing with the space ship got clear to me with the following thought:

If you capture the capital, the contact with the alpha centauri team breaks... it doesn´t matter for the spaceship of course, it is on its way, but who on earth can tell if they succeded in their mission? maybe a few hundred years later when another mission finds whats left of your space ship (or maybe they find a colony) you get a "yes you actually did win" title :)

for the worst military disaster I have one, and of course it was because of human blind arrogance.

An Emperor game, my start didn´t turn out to be that good (thought capturing a few cities of Shaka will do it). So I struggled my way in history until I finally reached tech lead. With tanks I got Shaka bow before me. The Island was all mine, so I started an invasion of the neighbouring Island, also Shaka (this guy breeds cities like rabbits). I got most of his Island without problem and made him my vassall. Also I´ve been in war with Stalin, so I sent my stacks of Destroyers, Battleships and Carriers to cut his frigates into pieces. Meanwhile I rebuild and make plans to land my troops. With newly upgraded modern armors I finally began the invasion. He also got Destroyers now, but thats nothing I couldn´t handle. I landed with 40 super promoted modern armor and 10 infantry next to his capital and was really surprised as I saw none of his cavalry but tons of helicopters... you know this sound when a unit beeing defeated turns really loud when lots of units are defeated... 3 tanks survived...

Top Bottom