When standing on the shoulders of giants, don't jump

EmpireOfCats

Death to Giant Robots
Maybe the most annoying aspect about Civ V for me long-term has become the number of things that are worse than Civ IV BtS. I'm not talking about things they left out and shouldn't have, like religion. I'm talking diplomacy, yields, and resources, which work so much better in Civ IV and are now screwed up or a pale shadow of their selves. This is change for change's sake, and it didn't work.

I know what a lot of people are going to say now, because we have been hearing it over and over again: Civ IV was released in a terrible state, too, wait for the patches. And this is the argument I have the least sympathy for, and am frankly tired of reading. Firaxis started with the code base of Civ IV, which was very, very good. From there, it should get better, not worse, just the same we expect any other new software product to be better, not worse.

There are, of course, some examples other than Civ V of just that happening. Apple replaced iMovie HD with a dumbed-down version with less functions, probably because this iLife program was eating into sales of Final Cut Express. People howled in rage, but nobody tried to say "that's fine, remember how bad iMovie was at the beginning, wait for the patches" (Apple gave everybody the finger, of course, which I expect is what we are going to get here, too). Windows Vista would be another example of a product getting worse, and might be the best comparison for Civ V: A pretty face with screwed-up functionality.

At this point I can only hope that when Firaxis gets to the point where they stop fixing all the bugs and are ready to repair the core game mechanisms, they go back to the best game of the series instead of trying to invent everything over again from scratch. As we have seen, that doesn't work too well.

I think they'll be doing all those changing core game thingy's when they will notice that they are losing money... lol.. sad...but true..

Maybe the most annoying aspect about Civ V for me long-term has become the number of things that are worse than Civ IV BtS. I'm not talking about things they left out and shouldn't have, like religion. I'm talking diplomacy, yields, and resources, which work so much better in Civ IV and are now screwed up or a pale shadow of their selves. This is change for change's sake, and it didn't work.

Change for changes sake? Perhaps not.

Snipped this from http://www.garath.net/Sullla/Civ5/whatwentwrong.html

1) One Unit Per Tile: Yes, the largest change in Civilization 5 is ultimately its largest design flaw. This will be a controversial point, as I know a lot of people really enjoy the new combat system, but it has to be said: the One Unit Per Tile restriction is the core problem with Civ5's design. Everything is based around this restriction. Everything. It determines how city production works, it determines the pace of research, it explains why tile yields are so low. Civilization was completely rewritten from the ground up to make use of the One Unit Per Tile limit on gameplay. Luddite has written the best summary of how and why this system doesn't work, so I'm going to let him explain further before I continue:

"I believe that these problems stem directly from the decision to make civ V a one-unit-per-tile (1UPT) game. 1UPT allows a lot of flexibility in how you arrange your army; however, it only works if your army has empty space to move in. It requires an army smaller than the map. 1UPT led to small army sizes, which led to lower production and faster science, which led to the broken economy system that this game has now. The combat in civ V was based on panzer general, but that doesn't work well in a civ style game. I tried to explain why that is in this post: (In PG, England is about 500 hexes. That's enough room for very large armies to maneuver around in (and even so, things get pretty congested when you're fighting over london). In Civ V, England is only 6 hexes! What am I supposed to do there? That's not even enough room to build a proper city! The English channel is only 4 hexes and one hex wide, so you can shoot across it with archers. Poor Italy has it worst though- only 2 hexes for the Italian peninsula! And the mediterranean is only 1 tile wide! Now that's an earth map, but the same sort of problems happen on any map I play. Tight spaces, bottlenecks, absolutely no room to maneuver. Civ V warfare is just a traffic jam.)

Clearly this was a decision made early on, since it's such an important part of the game. At the same time, they wanted to keep the "civ" feel to the game, where you settle new cities, build improvements and city buildings, and go in to the city screen to adjust your citizens. Combined, this meant that they had to limit the total number of tiles in the game, and so they tried to force army sizes to be very small. A typical civ 4 army of ~50 units would be incredibly annoying to manage in the Civ V style, so they wanted to encourage armies of only 5~10 units. I hope this succession game showed how clunky warfare becomes in this game when the army sizes get large (I enjoy the early wars with small army sizes). The AI can't handle it, and the player doesn't enjoy it.

In order to do that, they had to limit production. You can see that in the decreased yields- production and food yield have been decreased compared to civ 4, whereas the food required to grow a city was greatly increased. The early units like warriors don't take very long to build, but the cost of units quickly increases. The high upkeep costs for units, buildings, and roads factor in to this as well (see my sig: Civ5 is the first Civ game that is about NOT building instead of building. Don't build troops since support is so high, don't build buildings because support is too high, don't build roads because.... yada yada yada). The idea was, I think, that every new military unit would take about 10~20 turns to build, just enough to replace your losses while you continually upgraded your original army. As a result, your army size would stay almost constant throughout the game.

Also, it's worth pointing out that there's two ways of effectively decreasing production. Either decrease hammer yields while increasing costs- which they did- or to make science go faster- which they also did. The beaker cost of techs decreased, great scientists became more powerful, and research agreements were added. All of these accelerated the tech pace, giving less time to build the units/buildings for each technology, which effectively decreased production.

So now the developers are stuck with a game that has greatly reduced production values. That's fine, except for one thing- what do they do in the early game? They can't expect us to just sit around clicking "next turn" for 40 turns waiting for our worker to finish, or 100 turns for a library to finish. It's bad enough that it already takes up to 15 turns to finish that first worker. So, they had to make the early stuff a bit cheaper. You can build a warrior in ~6 turns, and you can build a horseman or a library in ~10. Even a coloseum only takes ~20. The idea was that a small city was efficient enough to produce the early game stuff in a reasonable amount of time, and as the city grew, it would produce the later stuff in the same amount of time- keeping army size constant while the cities grew and built infrastructure. There would be no massive increases in the power of a city with its size (like civ 4 had) because if a city became really powerful, it could create huge armies which would break the 1UPT system. If large cities were only modestly more powerful than small cities, the army sizes would stay small. That's pretty much what I discovered when I tried a game limited to just 3 large cities.

What the developers overlooked was that we're not limited to just a few large cities- we can build as many small cities as we want! Granted, we're limited a bit by happiness, but there's a lot of ways to solve that little problem (like keeping the city size small). And since small cities are so efficient at building the early game stuff, and large cities never become vastly more powerful, the many small cities with their trading posts (even without any multipliers) will quickly outproduce the large cities with their mines, despite their forges and workshops.

The game is in an awkward situation where large cities can't be too good because it would imbalance the middle and late game, but small cities have to be good or else the early game would be boring. And of course science is shared between all cities, so the more cities you have, the faster science goes, without any corresponding increase in city production. The result is what we've got now- a large number of small, undeveloped cities can produce a collossal amount of gold and science, which allows us to outtech even a large deity AI, while producing anything we want.

I know a lot of people will suggest balance tweaks to fix this. But I don't think this can be solved adequately without somehow addressing the issue of 1UPT at civ scale. You can't give an incentive to make large, developed cities better because that will just make that late game even faster and more unit-clogged than it is now. You can't make small, undeveloped cities weaker because than the early game will just be excruciatingly slow and boring.

So what do we have now? Thanks to 1UPT, we've got a game that tries hard to limit production because large armies break the 1UPT system. To limit production as the game goes on, large cities increase their production very slowly relative to science. This means that small cities remain competative throughout the entire game. This, combined with the many loopholes in the happiness system, allow an empire of many small cities to massively outproduce and outtech an empire of a few large cities, so the 1UPT is broken anyway with a massive clog of advanced units, early in the game. In my opinion, this is not fixable without severe changes to the game, such as bringing back stacks or greatly increasing the minimum distance between cities."

This is such a devastatingly effective critique of Civ5's problems, I just had to use it here. Very well said, luddite! As he said, Civ5 absolutely has to limit the number of units on the map, or else they begin to clump up together and form traffic jams, getting in one another's way uselessly. When this system breaks down in the lategame, or when playing on high difficulty level, the result is the infamous "Carpet of Doom" scenario (pictured at the top of this section), with a unit on every tile and 90% of them standing around in the back completely uselessly. So the game must limit production, therefore crippling tile yields compared to Civ4 and making all units/buildings vastly more expensive than in prior versions. But this isn't fun either, because it takes forever for the player to build anything, and anyone who is not going to war is going to be bored out of their minds. It also creates the problematic dynamic between small and large cities that luddite pointed out, with small cities much too good compared to large cities. The design team is trying to fix this with patches, but they aren't having more than modest success, because these problems are inherent to the design of Civ5's One Unit Per Tile restrictions.

Of course, I also need to make the obvious and most important criticism of the One Unit Per Tile system: the AI in Civ5 has absolutely no idea how to play the game under these rules. This sort of tactical combat requires more calculations on the AI's part in order to maneuver intelligently, and the combat AI has proven to be a dismal failure at meeting this test. Killing AI units at a rate of 10:1 is routine in Civ5, and I achieved a 37:0 kill ratio on one of my succession game turnsets (against Deity AIs!) Clearly, when the AI is unable to wage wars effectively and present a credible threat to the player, it undercuts the goals that Civ5 is trying to achieve. Game reviewer Tom Chick of 1UP (the only professional reviewer who had the balls to write on release that Civ5 had significant flaws) pointed to the game's AI in naming Civ5 as his most disappointing game of 2010: "This was the most disappointing game of the year because it brought to the Civilization series a really cool new feature -- tactical combat -- and then utterly neglected the AI needed to make it work. From there, the game fell apart entirely. Imagine a shooter where the AI enemies can't aim their guns or a racing game where the other drivers can't steer. The other questionable decisions -- watered down diplomacy, no religion, that strained policy tree -- all take a back seat to the very simple fact that Civilization V simply didn't work as it was designed."

That raises a very good question: why can't the AI handle this tactical combat system better? Yes, it's more involved that past Civ games, but it's not *THAT* much more complicated. I have read innumerable apologetics for the Civ5 AI, arguing that we shouldn't expect too much from it as it strides into this bold new frontier. However, that's simply not true! AI for tactical wargames has been around for decades; I remember some hexagon map PC games based around older tabletop board games that were released back in the 1980s. This system is supposed to be based around the Panzer General games, and the first one in that series was released back in 1994. Seriously, how hard can it be to program an AI that doesn't mindlessly walk its ranged units right into entrenched defenses? I saw better AI stuff in Advance Wars for the Gameboy Advance, and I'm not even kidding about that. This isn't a good system, but that's no excuse for how poorly the design team did.

The Civilzation series had to give up so many things to put the One Unit Per Tile system in place. It meant giving up the ability to stack workers, which was a staple of early game play and created many interesting decisions. (Do I pair up two workers together to get one improvement done faster, or split them up to improve two different cities at once?) It took away the question of stack composition, balancing melee against mounted against siege to get the proper proportions to take down an enemy city. (What units is the enemy building and can you counter them? Do you have enough spears to prevent flanking? And so on.) Speaker has argued that combat in Civ5 is significantly less intelligent than in Civ4, because in the former game all you have to worry about is what unit to put on each tile. In the latter game, with stacking, you have to consider how many units, and in what combination, to place on each tile. Personally, I don't think that Civ5 has improved combat at all over Civ4. Anyone who believes that Civ4 combat consists of "walking all of your units together in one big invincible stack" is a fool who has never played against other humans. Try reading this page on India's defense in the Pitboss #2 game to see just how shortsighted that opinion truly is.

Civ had to give up a lot to get One Unit Per Tile, and what did it get in return? An AI that can't play its own game. Crippled production and ridiculously long build times. Traffic jams and the Carpet of Doom phenomenon. Human-controlled units that never die. It's especially hilarious how the developers have tried to "solve" these problems in the patches. Horsemen too powerful, and the AI cannot use them effectively? They get nerfed into the ground. AI doesn't understand how to use Great Generals? Their bonus gets nerfed. AI can't use Flanking bonus? Nerfed. AI can't make use of Discipline combat bonus? Nerfed. AI can't defend its cities? They get their defenses massively boosted. For all of the talk about how Civ5 was going to bring us this awesome tactical combat system, it sure looks like the patches are doing everything possible to water down or remove those very tactical elements. Yeah, let's do everything possible to cripple the human player to make up for the fact that the AI has no f-ing clue how to play this game. Gee, that sure sounds like fun, doesn't it?

The fact of the matter is that Civ5 is trying to masquerade as a tactical combat game. But it isn't a tactical combat game; the Civilization games are empire-building games, and combat has never been more than one element among many. The designers of Civ5 tried to turn the game into something that it isn't, and they ended up breaking the game in the process. We ended up with a very mediocre wargame mashed together with a subpar empire-builder. I give them credit for trying - they had good intentions, and they were going for something genuinely new. It just didn't work, and we're left with a messy game that plays rather poorly. They would have done better to rework the stacking system than create the ugly blob of units pictured above.

Please don't post Sulla's work as if it's gospel, it's not. If you agree/disagree with a point that's fine. But don't copy and paste stuff like that. Besides.. that was his opinion. Nothing more, nothing less and you know what they say about opinions....

haha

Civ IV = WinXP

Civ V = Vista

that's the best comparisation i've read till now:D

let's just hope for a Win7 of Civ...

Please don't post Sulla's work as if it's gospel, it's not. If you agree/disagree with a point that's fine. But don't copy and paste stuff like that. Besides.. that was his opinion. Nothing more, nothing less and you know what they say about opinions....

I´m sorry, I wasn´t aware that I was (preaching that is). I simply thought it was a comment on the thoughts behind changes. If I offended anyone I am deeply sorry.

For clarity: when I wrote *perhaps* I really meant it.

haha

Civ IV = WinXP

Civ V = Vista

that's the best comparisation i've read till now:D

let's just hope for a Win7 of Civ...
Interesting how you end by wishing for a Win7 equivalent. Win7 is just a patched up version of Vista. They had to rename it because the name of Vista was too far down the drain.

You are basically saying you will be happy to play a patched version of Civ V, just as long as the call it Civ VI.

You are basically saying you will be happy to play a patched version of Civ V, just as long as the call it Civ VI.

Maybe at this point I should step in as the original poster and point out that I'm an Apple user. It's time to switch to OS X -- whatever that would be in this scenario :).

Firaxis started with the code base of Civ IV, which was very, very good. From there, it should get better, not worse, just the same we expect any other new software product to be better, not worse.

Im not going to write ''IMO'' every know and then, but just so that everybody knows: This post is just my opinion and that it might not be even true at all, but this is how I see it.

Civilization is a game series and the purpose of a game series (talking about game series that goes beyond 3) developers is not to polish the same god dam game mechanics over and over again and just simply add new stuff to that same old game. That’s perhaps what the other software tends to do but they are not games, usually some ‘reason software’ are NOT used the same way like games are being used, wich is -just for the sake of using them- a.k.a. playing. At least when im in the mood for -using a software just for the sake of using a software- (a.k.a. playing with computer), im more likely to try and have fun with a civ game, rather than to try and have fun with Microsoft EXEL. Although EXEL might be more polished than civ game and altough EXEL has the same basic unchanged mechanics it had for ages and even though they just have added features&stuff on top of that old EXEL system wich makes it deep, i still I prefer civ for enterntainment over EXEL. So because they are used in different way they are not developed in the same way.

IMO, ‘reason softwares’ do avoid changing any basic concepts just for the sake of changing them and they have their reasons for that. But that’s not exactly a mantra for long lived game franchise designers.

IF any game franchises weren’t to be changed from time to time just for the sake of change, then we would propably still be playing civ1 (or perhaps civ2 wich was pretty much just civ1 with added stuff) with better graphics, added stuff and different number behind the games name. Also, when the unchanged+added stuff -series would get to its fifth or maybe sixth game, it would propably be SO complex that no normal person wouldn’t want to start playing that game due to all that added stuff wich makes it a very complicated and therefore kind of hard to learn. Then only the ‘true fans’ of the series would have the energy and time (and also the knowledge from earlier civ games) to actually learn and play the latest civ game.

IMO, change just for the sake of ghange is not necessarily all wrong in gaming world nor is it always wrong in real life. Its refreshing.

Windows Vista would be another example of a product getting worse, and might be the best comparison for Civ V: A pretty face with screwed-up functionality.

So let me get this straight: Vista (civ5) with patches, a.k.a Windows 7 (patched civ5) is good?

IF any game franchises weren’t to be changed from time to time just for the sake of change, then we would propably still be playing civ1 (or perhaps civ2 wich was pretty much just civ1 with added stuff) with better graphics, added stuff and different number behind the games name.

The rule for a good sequel, as a book, TV show, or game, are "more of the same, but different". The previous Civs have all been "more of the same" -- build an empire to stand the test of time -- but with important, and generally constant, improvements.

Civ V is not "more of the same". It is too different. That is okay -- here, I agree with you -- but then they shouldn't have called it "Civ V", but "Civ War". Then, everybody would have known what they are getting into, people could decide if they wanted a Civ version that is basically only war, war, and more war, and the rest of us could stick with Civ IV BtS -- still the last "full real" Civ. Civ V claims it is a sequel, but it isn't (which is why so many people are upset). It is outside the main franchise.

So let me get this straight: Vista (civ5) with patches, a.k.a Windows 7 (patched civ5) is good?

Again, your talking to a Mac fanatic here, so probably no. Win XP was Civ IV BtS -- nice enough for its time, though by now hopelessly out of date. Win Vista is like Civ V, a pretty disaster. Maybe we could keep the analogy going with serious patching to Windows 7 (we're not there yet), but personally, I suggest switching to OS X. Feel free to feel that this means the Windows activation crap should be dumped, though I'm very happy with Steam.

I like 1upt but iam aware of the army size problem, i think the best way is to use food for upkeep (like in civ1). This would keep army sizes low (at least it can, when done right).

Maybe some more units per tile (maybe 3) could be a good way too, but then even with some civ1 combat loans: stacks not in fortresses die completely when the defending unit dies.

The rule for a good sequel, as a book, TV show, or game, are "more of the same, but different". The previous Civs have all been "more of the same" -- build an empire to stand the test of time -- but with important, and generally constant, improvements.

Could you give me an example of how does previous civs (lets say like civ2 compared to civ3 and civ3 compared to civ4) give this "more of the same, but different" -thing? Id just like to know this so that I could get the full picture of what kind of things are we talking about here, and also to confirm that this truly has happened every single time (up until civ5 of course). Also, to fully understand your point of view, I really think you have to give me an example of how civ5 does NOT accomplish in this "more of the same, but different" -quest of yours. If it isn’t too much to ask for, otherwise I just need to take your word for it, wich exclusively is never really a good argument.

Civ V is not "more of the same". It is too different. That is okay -- here, I agree with you -- but then they shouldn't have called it "Civ V", but "Civ War". Then, everybody would have known what they are getting into, people could decide if they wanted a Civ version that is basically only war, war, and more war, and the rest of us could stick with Civ IV BtS -- still the last "full real" Civ. Civ V claims it is a sequel, but it isn't (which is why so many people are upset). It is outside the main franchise.

The 1upt, hex grid, no religion, longer building times, lead designer being a huge fan of Panzer General.. etc. etc. were all told us before the launch and this knowledge was available to everyone, especially for civfanatics. So I must say that people were given a very good picture, as you said it, to “know what they are getting into”. Altough given all that 1upt, hex grid etc.. I must say that IMO, civ5 is not war, war and more war. IMO, it improved the war aspect though but its not a war game. But even if it were an all out war game, I really don’t understand what is stopping you from playing BtS?

I like 1upt but iam aware of the army size problem, i think the best way is to use food for upkeep (like in civ1). This would keep army sizes low (at least it can, when done right).

I agree. I think civ5 could use similar system.

about Sulla's post:

I think the way to fix the 1UPT problem whilst keeping the game fun to play is to actively give a limit to the number of military units a player can have. Let's say the first three cities you build increase the limit by four (stars at zero), they then increase the limit by two. At eight cities, they increase by one. You can also build improvements (house) to increase the limit by one, but it has to be worked to do anything gives no yield whatsoever, and gives an unhappiness of -1 (maybe?). The higher the limit, the longer it will take to complete the improvement and the more the unhappiness. Also, the larger the army, the higher the war weariness. This makes 1UPT still work without destroying the game mechanics and I think it adds a nice twist to the game. Furthermore, ranged units should not be able to defend themselves, but should be able to stack with melee. Thoughts on this?

(edit) Obviously, there would need to be far more buildings to compensate for less units being built, and said buildings need to be far more attractive than they currently are.

civ4 was far from a giant... imo civ5 has better design than civ4...

lots of things are terrible, but the end result is that the game is more about strategy and less about optimization

in civ4 you would survive a very very long time with the wrong strategies because the attacker needed 2x or 3x as many units. in civ5 you actually need to play strategically to do something non-militaristic.

talking about multiplayer here. forget the fact that the AI is atrocious in both games

Meh, in my eyes, SMAC was the pinnacle of the Civ type games prior to Civ IV BTS. For me, that means they released Civ III, Play the World, Conquests, Civ IV, and Civ IV Warlords before they "got it right" to a degree greater than what they did with SMAC. You can sit there and say "Each successive iteration of the series should improve upon the previous because they had the previous code base to examine" until you're blue in the face, but it's pure idealism. The only way they can ensure that is if they literally take the old game and just add more features, and just build on it without changing it from the ground up - and game developers even manage to mess that up.

Whether or not you like the argument of "wait for patches," that's the way this series works, and has for a long time, and it's not nearly the simple "just improve on what was done before" that you're painting it to be.

And concerning Sulla's little web-page rant, another poster nailed it - it's an opinion. He didn't like the game and thinks it's fundamentally flawed. Good for him. Not all of us are in the same boat, though I guess we're all going to have to live with it being spammed around... Civ V still has years of life left in it, and the game will evolve substantially over months and years to come, if the history of Civ games is any guide.

Meh, in my eyes, SMAC was the pinnacle of the Civ type games prior to Civ IV BTS. For me, that means they released Civ III, Play the World, Conquests, Civ IV, and Civ IV Warlords before they "got it right" to a degree greater than what they did with SMAC.

I couldn't agree more.

Top Bottom