When was the last time New York stopped building a library to train one soldier?

Exsanguination

No longer here
I was walking down the hall (after going through a dreadful stalemate war that was barely on my side in civ3), and came to a conclusion. Civ3 is jsut NOT a warmonger's game. I am definetely not one, so its even worse for me. But then I had yet another epiphany:

I can't think of any big cities that have to STOP production on buildings in order to train/upkeep soldiers (eg. WEST POINT in NEW YORK). I had an idea: whenever a town becomes a city (>size 6), that city can build BOTH an improvement/wonder and a unit SIMUTANEOUSLY.

Ah yes... but what your production? Lets say for instance that "Megalopolous" is a size 7 city in the ancient era and is producing say... 12 shields/turn and is currently building a library and training a swordsman. I would allot so much production, say 7 shields to build the library, and the other 5 to the immortal. BUT, obviously this would be UNfavorable (much slower production times), therefore I would propose increasing the standard production from each tile (say.. forest=3/plains=2) - this is common in many standard mods anyways, so my method would be normal to some.

Also, I'd make it so that only certain govts have this option - like Democracy/Communism/etc. If this was to be implemented, I'd say more govts would be needed - esp in the ancient era, so ancient era war would be more fun.

Now, what would this allow? Now that we can produce BOTH military and infrastructure at the SAME TIME, I can now enjoy the benefits of libraries/temples, while maintaining a military to support/defend/warmonger my civ.

What do you think? Any questions? FIRAXIS?

I guess the smart-ass answer to that question is: "11 September 2001"....

But yes, you're right, if taken literally, it does sound silly that a big city has to curtail its efforts on a building just to pump out a soldier.

However, in my opinion, Civ3 is a "big picture" game and is not meant to depict the fine details. I like to think of the production queue as representing the general thrust of a city's budget over a period of years - some years, maybe even decades, the emphasis will be on cultural infrastructure (ie. not just 1 library building, but education in general) and later the budget may emphasize the military sector.

Maybe I'm rationalizing a clunky game design here, but this is one aspect of Civ3 that I don't have an issue with.

to get real life you would have to change a bunch of things. You could build more then one library Houston has at least for. Same with universities.only three of them. You would use up pop no matter what for troops. You would not just build one unit you would build platoons, then battalions, then regiments, then Divisions. You would have to change the time values for the ancient era and increase drastically the amount of research it would take to get any given tech during those ages. Have mechanization increase food production. It would just be to hard its better this way. Could you imagine that game. It would take for ever. You think turns are long now imagine that.

if you are not constintly building on a national level you would have to stop. We don't have cities building units we have nations. But when you do suddenly have to build an army production on Libraries stops. See French under Napoleon. He had to stop all industry in France that was not millitary related to build his Million man army.

Originally posted by Demetrias
to get real life you would have to change a bunch of things. You could build more then one library Houston has at least for. Same with universities.only three of them. You would use up pop no matter what for troops. You would not just build one unit you would build platoons, then battalions, then regiments, then Divisions. You would have to change the time values for the ancient era and increase drastically the amount of research it would take to get any given tech during those ages. Have mechanization increase food production. It would just be to hard its better this way. Could you imagine that game. It would take for ever. You think turns are long now imagine that.

ahh, but none of that interferes with gameplay.

Originally posted by Demetrias
if you are not constintly building on a national level you would have to stop. We don't have cities building units we have nations. But when you do suddenly have to build an army production on Libraries stops. See French under Napoleon. He had to stop all industry in France that was not millitary related to build his Million man army.

what you describe is called "mobilization" and is available in civ3.

Actually, I proposed the idea of being able to build a unit and a building at the same time about six months ago.

I always thought it a little odd that buildings are produced and units are produced. Like the military are made out of a factory (attack of the clones?). I haven't yet thought of an easy way of generating military out of population and then let your city make just buildings, but I wouldn't rule it impossible.

Hi all.

I've been lurking on these forums for about six months and have enjoyed it very much. Now for a post.

Exsanguination- I really like the idea you're getting at and I think it is at least partly possible. You would have to play with it to know the full effects, but you could try lowering the cost of units significantly but have them cost population. Maybe some time after gunpowder making them cost two population to represent the effect of the mass armies fielded from the time of Napoleon on. You may also have to compensate the later units by either upping their A/D values and/or hitpoints to make the later units more powerful.

Regards, Hasdrubal:king:

I disagree. There will always be a delicate balance between too much micromanagement (MM) and fun. Some people think it could use more MM, I think it has a good balance right now, but no need to push it.

When's the last time it took a battleship 100 years to circumnavigate the globe?

It's called abstraction. The ability to produce military units/buildings/wealth is abstracted at the city level. There's nothing wrong with the model in my opinion.

ok ok i thought about it :D

You can do as follows...

Make ALL your units eligible for "Draft"

And set the Draft limit for any goverment to the maximum!
I would prefer not more than 10, cuz too much military a round cuz flip the AI *gg*

Therefore you should be asked what kind of unit you want to draft..

And also make all your units "Join Cities" to reunite with them people after war :)

Is that ok?

Just use the Editor,...you got the power :)

Drafted Units have normal Status (Conscript)
And produced ones start with regular or veteran since they have a military education in form of a "production" :)

good?

But HEY...

Material units can NOT be drafted!!!!!

like ICBM's or Tanks!

Only soldiers

Top Bottom