Where are all the players?

Deathwing

Civilization
So moving from Civ 4 (with its list of around 40 lobbies at any hour of the day) to Civ 5 for my first game of multiplayer and... what's this? 3 lobbies??

Are there more lobbies somewhere or were there really only 8 people playing Civ 5 at 21:00 in the evening? Maybe everyone's still on Civ 4...

Well I have been trying to have a game for about an hour now. Lots of waiting then got into 1 with 3 quitters, then into another where it bugged out (someone else appeared typing under my name then it crashed).

As you can tell from a third post, this is getting really boring. The loading screen is taking (literally) 15 minutes again to load, and by the time it gets it no doubt most of the players will have given up and disconnected...

Civ 5 needs a multiplayer fix BADLY

Yes. 1up is very nice for multiplayer purpose, bringing more tactics and planification(long build time vs upgrades), making civ5 superior to civ4 for multi. That's my opinion. But severe lags and bugs destroy the joy in half of games started. Quitters will always exist in any games on earth.

Lobbies are quite calm on week's mornings and nights but on evenings and week-ends it's pretty busy. NY-LA-Paris are the busiest servers around.

Join a ladder or a group, make yourself friends on steam, and you will have higher chances to get fast games with few quitters.

There doesn't seem to be any option to add a buddy in this version. Am I in the same lobby as you?

Just played about 2 hours of a game before it crashed. That's enough for me I'm off to bed.

you can "hotjoin" a game in progress if you are friends on steam with a player in the game and they invite you. Or the host reloads the game and you get invited/ enter the setup again.
Are you running the game on min settings? may help.

They should keep the running games in the lobby like they did with Civ 4.

The settings won't make a difference. This rig can run it all and has no probs in singleplayer. It's the multiplayer lag that's the problem. It seems I'm not alone though, spoke to a few others in the lobby and they all pissed off at it :)

Try joining the CivPlayers League (www.civplayers.com). They have a chat room in steam that you can find a match pretty much all day, plus you can get yourself rated and see how you stack up against others.

I find lag is caused by the player with the worst connection, even if you have a good rig, the weakest link dictates the lag.

I find lag is caused by the player with the worst connection, even if you have a good rig, the weakest link dictates the lag.

I also find this to be absolutely true. Point in case is when the suspected slow player drops and all of a sudden the game starts running lightning fast again.

as it has been stated before, multiplayer is horrible for Civ5, overall a good game

me personally i loved playing Civ4 multiplayer and found it challenging when the AI became too easy

there is no such challenge (easily) with Civ5, you gotta give yourself 30 minutes just to start a game, then you never know if will lag out or drop or quit... not high odds

Try joining the CivPlayers League (www.civplayers.com). They have a chat room in steam that you can find a match pretty much all day, plus you can get yourself rated and see how you stack up against others.

Yes please join us in our active Steam chat room, you do not have to become a league player but you are certainly invited too, The link are all in my sig.

CS

anyone actually interested in real strategy probably left after the patch that removed SP saving

anyone actually interested in real strategy probably left after the patch that removed SP saving

I'm pretty sure Cntl S works on both MP and SP to save a game, and what does saving have to do with the strategic value of a game anyway? Unless your idea of strategy is reloading saves to change the outcome of key battles.......

CS

There used to be a save game ability??

Only yesterday the game froze and we were looking to save and rehost but couldn't...

I take it you can't put up a multiplayer game from a Ctrl+S save...

There used to be a save game ability??

Only yesterday the game froze and we were looking to save and rehost but couldn't...

I take it you can't put up a multiplayer game from a Ctrl+S save...

Well MP automatically saves games, but Cnlt S does work as well, but to load the save you have to add "autosave_" to the front of the file name, and put the save in the auto folder.

CS

Top Bottom