Where are the natural disasters?

Do you think there should be natural disasters in Civ III?

• Yes, that would be cool!

Votes: 23 62.2%
  • No, it'd just mess up the game even more.

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • I don't know/don't care

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters

WarlordMatt

Emperor
Shouldn't there be some natural disasters in Civ III? Like volcano eruptions, city-destroying tornadoes, floods, tsunamis, and asteroids. Because I would just love to see Babylon get pounded into the dirt by a huge meteorite. :D

Yeah, there should be some Disasters.
There is war ,so what it is the problem with random tornados
Tornados - would destroy land improvements.
Earthquakes - would destroy city improvements.
Meteorites - are a bit unrealistic, since nobody has ever died of a fallen meteor, and besides the 6.000 years span of the game are too short for any meteor cicle.
Volcanos - would after a while make the land more fertile

DISASTERS?? I consider Culture Flipping, Settler Diarrhea, massive corruptions, etc, quite enough. :D

Provided it's not of the boring "disease strikes city x, 4 pop lost" type, which is pretty unspectactular. Quakes would be cool - they've played a hell of a key role in history.

R.III

Originally posted by marshal zhukov

Meteorites - are a bit unrealistic, since nobody has ever died of a fallen meteor, and besides the 6.000 years span of the game are too short for any meteor cicle.

Estimates of meteor strike rates are notoriously uncertain, but according to one the Earth is hit by an object causing a blast the strength of of the Hiroshima bomb about every 100 years (yes, that's once per century). Now, most strike the sea, usually far from any shore, and the rest tend to end up in very thinly populated areas as the ratio of densely populated land to total land area is very low, but if a such object struck a city, well, you know what happened to Hiroshima.

I thought the disasters in SMAC were pretty good. Well, truth to be told, the volcanic eruptions and earthquakes were quite a bit over the top, but crop failure, the epidemics etc provided a nice piece of spice and uncertainty for the game.

The unexpected formation of some new land or an island through vulcanism would be interesting for game play. Imagine the land-rush. It might even tip the balance of power in a finely balanced game.

I liked the way diseses and epidemics were handled in CTP. All cities trading with an infected city had a chance to get infected aswell...I once infected an entire civ through just one city.

Frankly I don't miss them. But then, it would be difficult to program them so they wouldn't totally unbalance the game.

Yeah we need more random destruction. Oh look! My city has been struck by a flood and my work on the PYRAMIDS has been washed away. Sounds like a real good idea.

As long as they only happen to someone else.

I HATE it in MOO2 when I get targetted more often than anyone else by RANDOm events...

No, sir! No "Random events"!!! Can you imagine all the threads about how the AI never gets hit or the events hit at the worst times? There is enough for people to complain about, don't need to add more.

Originally posted by Myartar
No, sir! No "Random events"!!! Can you imagine all the threads about how the AI never gets hit or the events hit at the worst times? There is enough for people to complain about, don't need to add more.

If natural disasters are included in Civ IV, presumeably they'd go the SMAC way and include the option to disable 'em.

No natural disasters please! Cause I would just love building a huge army ready to destroy Germany only to have it blown away by a tornado or something! Now that would really just p*ss me right off lol.

Something less random though, like terrorism may have it's place. I mean, if I lost my palace to a terrorist bomb I would be very very mad, mad enough to completely destroy the little b*stard who sent them to attack me. Not sure whether that would be quite appropriate at the moment though.

Another option is the resistors when you take an enemy city. Why don't they do more, instead of just rebelling or destroying things due to the mob?

How about planned bombing attacks on your troops etc, things that don't automatically make the city switch sides, but lets you know there's trouble brewing.

And then give us the option to declare martial law(if you ask me there aren't enough options in Civ3 to be a nasty ruler, you have to be all sweet to your people. Well they flip to an enemy city, when I get them back I'll give them hell!).

Nemesis

Originally posted by uknemesis

Something less random though, like terrorism may have it's place. I mean, if I lost my palace to a terrorist bomb I would be very very mad, mad enough to completely destroy the little b*stard who sent them to attack me. Not sure whether that would be quite appropriate at the moment though.

Nemesis

I'm all for that! I'm mad they took out the destroy improvment and poison water supply spy missions. There have thier uses and would help alot in weakening a metropolis, hurting an enemy w/o war, and just for being an arse. Terrorists have been staging attacks for hundreds of years(maybe thousands?), just b/c we in the US get hit and get hit hard is no reason to take an element out of a game, IMHO.

I voted a big no on this one. I don't like random events. I also have a feeling that many of those who say they want them now would complain about them if they were included.

Originally posted by Chris_b_89
I voted a big no on this one. I don't like random events. I also have a feeling that many of those who say they want them now would complain about them if they were included.

No doubt about that.

Programming them should be very difficult, random should get some very strange and unbalancing results now and then and the result would be the same as culture flipping:
Good idea, great mess up in real terms!!!

Top Bottom