Where are these new units I'm reading so much about?

Buecephalus

Bolo Mark XXV
I haven't had much time go through the game or the scenarios included with PTW but I've been unable to find the WWII units that are supposed to be included, nor have I found the dinosaur units. I did play a scenario where barbarians are dinosaurs but surely that's not the only one? Any help would be appreciated.

On my computer those unit packs are in the "\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III\CIV3PTW\extras" folder.

O.K. pretend I know nothing about folders or extracting or anything vaguely technical concerning computers or software. (actually, there would be no pretending necessary) Is there a thread that would talk you through the process? Thanks again.

You don't know how to open the folders and see the units?
My apologies, but in what are you doing here?

ok.... Which hard drive did you install Civ3 to?

If it's in the C drive, then just copy and paste this into the address field and press enter:

C:\Program Files\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III\CIV3PTW\extras

If it's in D drive, then just change the first letter to D.

Originally posted by Buecephalus
O.K. pretend I know nothing about folders or extracting or anything vaguely technical concerning computers or software. (actually, there would be no pretending necessary) Is there a thread that would talk you through the process? Thanks again.

Really, it's not too difficult. And it wasn't too many years ago when little Cantankerous here was no more than a computer illerate brick himself. (Ahhhh, those were the days...)

Buecephalus, here's an even more detailed "mini instruction guide".

Double-click on "My Computer" on your desktop.

On the next screen, double-click on the "C:" drive icon.

Then double-click on the "Program Files" folder.

At this screen you can access the "meat and potatoes" of the files for many (if not all) of the programs (not just games) that you have loaded on your computer.

At this point double-click on the folder called "Infogrames Interactive".

You should see a folder called "Civilization III". Double-click on it, and now you're in the Civilization game folder.

At this point you can navigate around into the various folders, but specifically to find the extra units with PTW, you'll need to go into the folder called "CIV3PTW", and then go into the folder called "extras".

This gets you to the animations and sounds for the new extra units, but to actually use them in a game you'll need a lot more instruction than I can give here.

There are several tutorials available on how to do just that on this website that will take you step-by-step on how to use new units, create scenarios, and generally have fun with computers.

If I can learn how to do it, anyone can.

Good luck!

Sorry for the double-quote in the post above.

Buecephalus,

Thunderfall's post is the short and sweet way to do it, and gets you the same result.

He just beat me to the punch. :)

Originally posted by gugalpm
You don't know how to open the folders and see the units?
My apologies, but in what are you doing here?

What a ridiculous comment. I don't know either. As I have pointed out elsewhere, why should anybody have to sit and find the files and install them themselves? Isn't that what Firaxis is for? I'm here to play Civ3, not to assemble it - to answer your question.

R.III

Thanks to all for your help. I appreciate your comments Richard III and wholeheartedly concur. After looking through all the advice and steps you go through to add units it seems pretty technical. Why couldn't Firaxis put that stuff in a scenario for us?

As for you gugalpm, what I'm doing here is learning, sharing opinions and asking questions. Hope that clears it up for you.

Top Bottom