Where are you getting this "one unit per tile" idea?

Abood

Chieftain
All this talk about how different its gonna be with only one unit to a tile in civ5, has anyone ever stopped to think that the units were spread out one to a tile in the screenshots because it shows off more units in shot and is a better way to show off the graphics than just having a stack where only the top one is visible? People do it all the time when showing screenshots of their mods, why wouldnt firaxis do it when showing off their multimillion dollar investment?
Maybe you guys will be right but I havent seen anything to make me think that you can only have one unit to a tile...

Not from the screenshots, but from an interview with Jon Shafer, the lead designer, in a Danish magazine. Apparently it confirms a one military unit per tile limit. See this thread.

I'm just bumping this because lots of people seem to be under the impression that the 1 unit per tile thing comes from the screenshots.

We are relatively certain that archers can fire from several hexes away in Civ5. It doesn't take a rocket surgery degree to infer that huge stacks of archers would cause a problem. Combining this with some vague comments about "huge fronts" and armies "spreading out" tends to make one unit per hex seem very likely. It is also a solution to the Stack of Doom. I would assume any developer looking for a way to improve upon Civ4 would focus on eliminating the SoD.

Strictly speaking it is still speculation, but I am about 99% sure something like one unit per hex is in.

Not from the screenshots, but from an interview with Jon Shafer, the lead designer, in a Danish magazine. Apparently it confirms a one military unit per tile limit. See this thread.

Just to note, the screenshots do seem to help confirm those statements however.

I seriously hope this can be toggled off! I'm not exactly thrilled about that idea.

I'm still willing to give it a try, but I'm very hesitant to accept it as a good idea.

I seriously hope this can be toggled off! I'm not exactly thrilled about that idea.

I'm still willing to give it a try, but I'm very hesitant to accept it as a good idea.

I don't want to bum you out, but I doubt you'll be able to toggle it off. If the entire game is built around one unit per hex it wouldn't necessarily even play all that well if you just started stacking units. I doubt this is as trivial as tech brokering or city flipping after conquest.

Alps:

I suspect as much. Maybe it's just me being reluctant of the change, I will grant you that. Well, here's to hoping that the military aspect is still loads of fun!

Hexes + 1 unit/tile + units able to shoot more than a single tile away -> sounds like Panzer General II...

We are relatively certain that archers can fire from several hexes away in Civ5. It doesn't take a rocket surgery degree to infer that huge stacks of archers would cause a problem. Combining this with some vague comments about "huge fronts" and armies "spreading out" tends to make one unit per hex seem very likely. It is also a solution to the Stack of Doom. I would assume any developer looking for a way to improve upon Civ4 would focus on eliminating the SoD.

Strictly speaking it is still speculation, but I am about 99% sure something like one unit per hex is in.
Doesn't that all depend on the accuracy of the bombarding units. Basically, any large stack is a problem. I winder whether this is an attempt to stopc the AI making too many units.

The one unit per tile concept is great as long as there are limits to the number of troops you should realistically build as well. In the modern era I am not exactly looking forward to managing 50+ units as single units with stacking off... Imagine the frustration if you discover that unit #27 should forfeit their turn because unit #8 moved to a location so that #15 could only move to this one tile, blocking #23 from stellping out of the way... Having a huge army moving like that without the ability to stack them and move them all with one click will be a nightmare unless the number of units are more likited than ever before.

The one unit per tile concept is great as long as there are limits to the number of troops you should realistically build as well. In the modern era I am not exactly looking forward to managing 50+ units as single units with stacking off... Imagine the frustration if you discover that unit #27 should forfeit their turn because unit #8 moved to a location so that #15 could only move to this one tile, blocking #23 from stellping out of the way... Having a huge army moving like that without the ability to stack them and move them all with one click will be a nightmare unless the number of units are more likited than ever before.

I'm willing to assume Firaxis can work stuff like this out. We'll see I suppose.

How about... Units can stack if no foreign military units are nearby? Something like 3-5 hexes, to avoid abuses and provide the needed ease of movement. :king: You could still march with a single click but would have to disassemble and fight tactically.

I'm willing to assume Firaxis can work stuff like this out. We'll see I suppose.

I'm willing to assume one unit per tile does not, did not, and will not be in the game :p

Top Bottom