1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Where should we found the second city? - redone

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game V: Polls' started by Rik Meleet, Aug 8, 2004.

?

Where should we found the second city? - redone

Poll closed Aug 10, 2004.
  1. Location A

8.9%
  2. Location B

8.9%
  3. Location C

26.7%
  4. Location D

28.9%
  5. Location E

6.7%
  6. Location F

4.4%
  7. Location G

6.7%
  8. Location H

2.2%
  9. Other (please post)

4.4%
  10. Abstain

2.2%
  1. Real Pave

Real Pave Chieftain

With a fast look, I voted for B. C is a good place too.

2. Ankka

Ankka Deity

H, we can build C or something after that to get a coastal city.

*runs from the angry guards*

3. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

My thoughts exactly. :goodjob: We need to build a coastal city. In my thinking, C would be best and then you could put a city where the warrior is placed right now. That would give us options to all the resources their. Even though this is about one city, forward planning is good to get as many resource as possible. Well these are my thoughts of a lowly citizen. :)
    NOTE: The underline is my emphasis and not in the original quote.

4. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

:) I'm just a lowly citizen in this discussion too. My Office holds no weight here.

As I've stated before, we need a strong second city that will help us in many ways. Getting the diamond, helping with Culture, helping with expansion, and helping with the military are all ways in which Site D will be able to help. Site C will flounder (no pun intended) for thousands of years before any substantial growth and production are detected. We can build a coastal city to the North of the Capital. Coastal tiles are evident there.

5. Provolution

Provolution Sage of Quatronia

I am speaking from strictly a strategic viewpoint. Since the Capital had landed better than it did, I would not have recommended City C. However, with the limited information we have, and I still want Yotsubishi to be built (Epimethius proposal), C is the only option that enables us to transfer tiles from Fanatikku to the new city, and still keep the diamond. since we may go overseas until the end of term one, we would be a powerhouse in resources, so we can fight wars effectively with the future samurais, on land and on sea, and not close out our reach, limited to land only.
    Remember, term 1 is there to build for the 2nd term.

Yours sincerely

6. Sir Donald III

Sir Donald III Emperor

Honorable Minister of Domestic Affairs, and fellow Citizens:

Why must we limit ourselves to what is close, when we know that if we go a little further, we can ensure we have the resources we need to help our defense?

I hereby propose the City Site 1 Tile NW of the South Warrior in the Picture on the page. This will allow us to immediately secure the horses in our territory and allow us at least 1 Gems within the City Radius once we have a Temple, as well as have a coastal port, but only 1 Coastal port.

I know, there are many tiles not discovered yet within this city radius. But the maximum number of possible grasslands near this city is 2, and both of these in the Post-Temple Radius.

Phase 1: Pre-Temple: (Natural, Developed, Post-Despot)
    Top 2 Tiles:
    Tile 1: Horses (1,1,1; 1,2,2; 1,3,2)
    Tile 2: Connecting Road (1,1,0; 1,2,1; 1,3,1)
    Phase 1 Total: 2,2,1; 2,4,3; 2,6,3.
    Added with IIRC 2,1,2 for the city itself: 4,3,3; 4,5,5; 4,7,5.

The reason I am limiting these first 2 phases to 2 tiles is because this site will only support a Size 2 City prior to Harbor.

Phase 2: Between Temple and Harbor:
    Top 2 Tiles:
    Tile 2: Riverside Hill (1,1,1; 1,2,2; 1,3,2)

Phase 3: Harbor until Aquaduct:
    Tiles 2-5: Coastline Tiles. (2,0,2, same Post-Despotism)
    (Again, we can only see 3, and know of a 4th by a coastline near a mountain, but I also think there is likely a 5th.)
    Tile 6: Riverside Hill (1,1,1; 1,2,2; 1,3,2)

After Aquaduct, if there are no Grasslands, then we work as many coasts as we can until we hit a happiness cap, i.e. we get our first unhappy. At that point, we move the unhappy to the Riverside Hill. Of course, Grasslands and Whales can preempt this tile order.

And, yes, corruption is a concern. But not as much as it usually would be. The reason is: this will only be our 2nd city. This city will gain more corruption when we found more cities, but originally, I would be surprized if we had corruption before either Harbor or Government Change. And I'd say we would sooner have a new city before a Harbor or a revolution.

Again, I urge Japanatica to be Pro-Active. Let us settle farther and fill in after. Let us not risk losing what our South Scout has found!

7. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

Methinks we need to see more before being able to make a wise decision...

8. Noldodan

Noldodan 2 years of waiting...

What do you want? The settler is built right now, we don't have time to explore more unless we want to make it a 3-turn chat.

9. snipelfritz

snipelfritz Crazy about the Demogame

We don't have time to explore. We can travel far later. Now is the time for decision.

C is the right choice. We will have immediate access to the gems just near it. We will have mountains and hills for increased production. We will have grassland nearby for precious food. Also, it is on the sea, we can build ships as soon as possible that way. Then we can explore the coast and very likely meet other nations. Another pro with C is the possibility of the Colosus, once the city is up and running

10. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

It seems as if Site C is getting some last-minute support. This is great news, I say!

Let us forgo short term gains for a long term future. My job as Trade Leader is practically useless if we don't have a port to barter from. Our so-close-to-the-coast capital may as well be behind a wall if we force future tourists to brave our treacherous hills just to reach it.

Are we preparing an isolationist strategy already, or do we want to utilize our coastal origin near the equator as a gateway to the world?

Follow me, brave Japanaticans. Let's push just a bit farther west. The sea beckons......... :wavey:

11. Provolution

Vote C! So Japan can adapt if there is no iron!!

12. Sir Donald III

Sir Donald III Emperor

D is on the Sea? Are you sure you're using the same letters as the Domestic Minister? On this map, D is 1 tile away. C is on the Sea.

Speaking of the Ministry, I request that the Honorable Minister rate my proposal. I know that I will get a low score for proposing an area with so many tiles unexplored, but I think we should move in on the Horses ASAP.

13. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

For the record, snipelfritz is singing the praises of Site C, as that is what he voted for.

14. snipelfritz

snipelfritz Crazy about the Demogame

You're right I was talking about C the whole time. I'll edit that right away.

Edit: Sorry for the confusion everybody.

15. Civanator

Civanator Deity

Hmm... our starting spot looks oddly familiar to DG1. I vote A

16. Provolution

I have realized that if there is no Iron nearby, we need to hedge the risk by having a ready overseas colonization base nearby the capital. However, this does not rock with my doctrinal support of iron working and the monarchy route, but this gives a security vent given the chance we are militarily challenged, there is no iron and we need to find resources overseas. The inhospitality of Japanatica, except for the bountiful Zarnian basin, around the Fanatical River, is bordered by the Apathetic in the west, the Arid Zona in the East, the Gochibishi Massives in the South, with the barren Ume Highlands farther south, the Promised Desert in the Southeast and the Shady Fields in the North - in fact we need to diversify our risk. It is now very critical to know if we have iron or not, as that will be decisive to all our strategies for the next 4000 years.

With this, I officially ask to change from D to C in the polls, as I see no other recourse, and put an end to 1 tile distance from ocean cities! Japan will one day become a naval power, and the city will be the first step! I am sorry for having been in doubt on this one, but at least I admit I had committed a mistake. The same apply to the Ringi system the children of Japanatica was not ready for it in this age of despotism! :)

17. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

With a vote change for FA Minister Provolution, this is now a 12-12 race.

This is great news, Provolution, and I thank you for your 11th hour support. Hopefully, the Japanatican people will answer the call of our nation's diplomats and join us in our support for Site C.

18. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

Moderator Action: Vote changed as requested by Prov. (Vote was for "D", but changed to "C").

(Note: I had to ask TF if he could change the options so it would come out clean - i.e., no extra/deficient votes).

19. Sarevok

Sarevok Civ3 Scenario Creator

Im going for C. We need a position from which we can begin using a navy to explore. This will be a severe problem for us later if we do not have a port there as it will not have much corruption.

20. Provolution

Chieftess

Arigatoo gozaima****a :)

Besides, I trimmed down my signature as I think you requested to two lines, and I could not see any other violations I could have conducted in here compared to others.