Where to build roads

Melchizedek

Prince
I'm new to this, and it seems like villages and towns benefit from being on roads. Does this affect where you place roads or even cities? If the shortest path between two cities cuts through a nice set of farm triangles, do you consider building longer roads for the sake of getting good village tiles on the roads? My guess is the road maintenance won't be worth it most of the time, but I don't have late game experience yet.

I do not care for farm triangles but build shortest route and place villages as much as possible on the road.

do you consider building longer roads for the sake of getting good village tiles on the roads?

I absolutely do. Normally shortest is best, but if you can manage to squeeze in another village (that a TR runs over, that's key)….than its completely worth it.

Also, when preparing for war against a neighbor, you should spam roads on your border....I will often put one in every tile. I cannot overstate how much more powerful your army is when you can instantly swap units in and out because of the road network....I have engaged in an "unwinnable" war, made peace, built the road network, and on the next go around the war was a peace of cake.

I absolutely do. Normally shortest is best, but if you can manage to squeeze in another village (that a TR runs over, that's key)….than its completely worth it.

Also, when preparing for war against a neighbor, you should spam roads on your border....I will often put one in every tile. I cannot overstate how much more powerful your army is when you can instantly swap units in and out because of the road network....I have engaged in an "unwinnable" war, made peace, built the road network, and on the next go around the war was a peace of cake.
I'm lazy, I leave workers on auto and let the AI decide. Usually they do clean cross sections.

Top Bottom