1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Which CIV IV, V and VI civs should become mainstays?

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by IgorS, Oct 25, 2017.

?

Which CIV IV, V and VI civs should become series mainstays?

1. Khmer

60.9%
  2. Holy Romans

6.5%
  3. Malians/Songhai

63.0%
  4. Native Americans (as a blob civ)

6.5%
  5. Ethiopians

71.7%
  6. Assyrians

34.8%
  7. Brazilians

52.2%
  8. Danes

19.6%
  9. Huns

13.0%
  10. Indonesians/Majapahit

87.0%
  11. Moroccans

45.7%
  12. Poles

54.3%
  13. Polynesians (as a blob civ)

13.0%
  14. Shoshone

4.3%
  15. Siamese/Thai

37.0%
  16. Swedes

37.0%
  17. Venetians (not necessarily as a super city-state)

10.9%
  18. Australians

21.7%
  19. Kongolese

41.3%
  20. Macedonians

13.0%
  21. Norwegians

23.9%
  22. Nubians

28.3%
  23. Scythians

17.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Havendish

Havendish Chieftain

I wasn't aware of this, interesting. How do you disable a civ in order to be able to play as Austria?

2. IgorS

IgorS Your ad could be here!

Comfortably enough, Civ III came with a game editor.

3. Havendish

Havendish Chieftain

Thanks. I'll check out my CIII complete edition. A new civ for me to play as in Civ3, how exciting...

4. Equilin

Equilin Chieftain

My thoughts on Khmer and Siam is that: The mainland SEA (aka Indochina) has quite a long history of Rise & Fall of kingdoms after kingdoms, and out of them there are a handful number that can be used as a civ, which means the SEA slot should be rotated between them. Indonesia is far enough from them they get their own slot.
    I'm not too fond of Africa so anyone is fine as long as it fills the continent (and Egypt is a must anyway).

halfhalfharp likes this.
  5. halfhalfharp

halfhalfharp Chieftain

As the poll doesn't include all the civs in my list, hereby I present my ideal mainstays of the game.

In my opinion of basic Must have civs:
    (Red= rotatable civs, Green= unmovable civs)
    Euro(centric)pe:
    Britain
    Rome
    Greece
    France
    Spain
    Germany
    Russia
    Byzantine

Vikings (Denmark/ Norway/ Sweden)

Eastern Asia
    China
    Japan
    Korea
    Mongolia

South-eastern Asia
    India
    Khmer/Siam/Vietnam
    Philippines/Indonesia/Malaysia

Middle east:

Arabia
    Iran/ Persia
    Turkey

Mesopotamia (Babylon/Sumer/Assyria)
    Non arabic semitics (Israel, Syria, Canaanite, Levant)

Oceania:

Polynesia/ wherever the islands they are from

Africa:
    Egypt
    Carthage

Morocco (Islamic Africa)
    Other African civs (Mali/Kongo/South Africa)

North America:
    USA
    Native americans

Meso/south America:
    Aztec/Maya/Olmec
    Inca/other southern American civ

That will make up to approximately 30 civs, which are viewed as basic requirements in my opinion. There are always rooms to add extra civs to enrich the game.
    And I am not objecting to any addition of other civs, but these are the civs that I think, are essential to appear in the game.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  6. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Chieftain

They all are pretty comparable, sadly. Norway was strongest around the time of Harald Hadrada in the 1000s, spanning Norway, Iceland, Greenland, and (and disputably parts of Britain and Denmark). Denmark was the strongest around the time of Margaret 1 in the 1300s, incorporating the entirety of Scandinavia. And Sweden was strongest under Gustav Adolphus in the 1600s, conquering Finland, part of Norway, and much of the Baltic countries; less territory overall, but it has remained the dominant culture in the area since.

So really, the argument is over preference of time period. Do you want a naval civ that was more relevant in the distant past (Norway, Denmark), or in the present day (Sweden)? Both the vikings and the more modern Scandinavian powers are important, so picking between the two is impossible. And if you exclude that from the equation, how do you choose between three similarly sized empires, just in different centuries?

It's roughly comparable to asking players whether they think the Rashidun, Umayyad, or Fatimid caliphate should be a mainstay. Or the Qin, Jin, or Tang dynasties. Or Frankia, Prussia, and Bohemia. If there's no clear winner, the choice is arbitrary and not worth seriously considering. I mean, is VI honestly better with Sweden over Denmark or Denmark over Sweden, or without either of them? We have a viking civ already, so the majority of consumers' needs are already met.

EDIT: I actually thought of an elegant solution. Norway is ancient civ. Sweden is modern civ. Margaret of Denmark is added as an alternate leader for both civs. Two civs. Three leaders. Perfect balance.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    Xandinho and Guandao like this.