Which civ should I play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leoreth

Blue Period
I have decided that I should play the mod more thoroughly and regularly. So if you don't know, I usually only play the mod when I am working on something particular, and usually limit the interaction to what I need to test/balance whatever that is. It's very rare that I actually play a whole game from start to finish.

But usually when I do, I notice a lot of little things that can be quickly improved that I would otherwise not be aware of, and that people don't usually report. Also, it is actually a lot of fun, and I need a low key game for the laptop over the holidays anyway, so why not DoC?

So I thought, why not let the forum pick the civ I am going to play? That seems fun. I will always play the civ for the UHV and will do a whole game. It's not likely that I will do a let's play or AAR type of thing from it, beyond commentary on interesting things I notice. So you do not really get anything out of the decision you can influence here. That said, this directly influences which civ I will give immediate attention, so if you think something requires more work, has something not working right, or something like that, this is your chance.

I want to make this a regular thing where I ask at random intervals (let's say about once a month). For the first time, please suggest simply by posting the name of the civ. I will pick the most frequent suggestions and break ties based on personal preference (you can influence me by including arguments though). Next time, I will take all the runner ups from this thread and put them into a proper poll, and you can make suggestions for the poll contents of the thread after that.

Let's go!

China's long game spanning most of history is definitely one of the more interesting UHV games to me, especially since you have a fair amount of freedom to do things that aren't UHV-focused (very tightly laser-focused UHV games aren't that fun to me). The Byzantines are another fun one for being able to defy history and constant fighting.

I would agree with the first comment: China.

China is the only civ in the game that will span almost all of the world's history (from 1500-today). They will experience nearly all of the major events of history from the Barbarian invasions of the Xiongnu Confederacy, to the Mongolian Conquests, to the rising imperialism of the European empires, to the gridlock geopolitics of the 20th and 21st century.

In terms of gameplay, You will experience (again hehe) all of the mechanics of Dawn of Civilization. You will experience vast periods of instability, unhappiness, civic changes, plagues, religons, wars throughout your gameplay.

In conclusion, I think China is a good pick since it shows all the concepts of DOC and shows how far this great mod has come.

If you play just one civ, play a big, lasting civ like China, Greece/Byzantium, or India/Tamils like already been said.

If you play more than one civ, then I highly recommend playing one of the civs in the 1700AD scenario, though. Whenever I play 3000BC I seldom had the patience to play till the modern era (would have won/become invincible long before then), and the recent versions of DoC introduced many new features in the modern era (more than for other eras). England/France, Russia, and Prussia are all great choices there. Ottomans is another interesting choice to simulate how large empires can decay/resurge/modernize.

Overall I think the 1700AD scenario is kind of a hidden gem for DoC since unlike in other scenarios (or other historical strategy games, for that matter) it is difficult for any of the civs to build up to an invincible position before the game ends.

Last edited:
Last edited:
One suggestion. If you have multiple I will not count it more than once.

I play Monarch usually.

Greece and Japan are my personal favorite. Japan for a more long and relaxing game IMO but Greece is my most played because you're in the epicenter of almost every important event in the game and have so many different paths you can go down because your UHV are finished really on.

So I'd say Greece just because it's a unique playthrough whenever I play

3000 BC start Byzantium
- you still get rough picture what early civs done (city placement, wonders, how well roman conquest went etc.)
- centre of action
- need to balance all game mechanics to get UHV

Mexico. It could have a more interesting UHV.

England. It's fun to colonize the whole world.

Russia. However you play from the start will influence the rest of the game,needs more benefits or encouragement for espionage.

If only one has to be picked, I'll say Russia. BTW, are you uploading your games to Twitch or YouTube?

No, I just want to have something I can play on the side without much attention. I may share a post on a screenshot here if something interesting happens.

I vote for Russia with a 600 AD start.

There's the initial challenge of fighting off barbarians and then of course the Mongols. And then plenty of challenges in terms of expanding to the east, defending yourself against Europe/Ottomans to the west/south, and playing catch up technology wise.

I also like to use espionage against Poland to catch up technology wise (though I don't seem to be able to build up espionage points after successful missions to get a great spy).

For quick game to play on the side, I recommend Egypt. For a longer game, China, England, France, Spain or Rome are great.

BYZANTIUM 600AD, Its probably one of my favourite civs because its well placed to be an out and out superpower, but has almost everything going against it, everything about a Byzantium game is fighting to keep your position as top dog, but if you manage to make it, you are set to be THE world hegemon, the middle east oil is a stones throw away, if you are wily in the early game you can snatch up Singidunum guaranteeing a close source of Oil and Aluminium, your Anatolian heartland has Uranium. and just beyond your historical lands in Africa likes the oil fields of Libya, and Algeria.

I suggest Greeks, because their UHV it's a challenge that most of the time needs strategies out of the historical way. Also, playing with greeks garantee that you experience most of the game mechanics and events that happens during the ancient-classical age and doesn't take too long to end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom