Which game setup is your favourite?

kettyo

Seeker of Reality
I like Huge/18 civs/Epic the most and i turn time victory off.

My new laptop can handle such a big game very well with medium graphics.

And with vassals in now there's enjoyable to go for a domination victory even with such big setup.

For overseas conquest you only have to get through a huge army, raze some major cities and they will capitulate.
Much better than capturing them all.
Not to mention now you don't have to manage dozens of cities, it's enough that half the world is your vassal :king:

My favourite is Large/Inland Sea/Normal. But I do have difficulties with this. I tend to get a religion, spread it to one neighbour, fight the other and see how it goes from there. I like the fact you dont have much land and the choices that forces on you.

gigantic/any/churchill

terra-pre picked civs-huge - normal speed. prince dificultty- all victories off bar conquest and cultural. no tech trading, lots of barbarians. cities peacefully turn back. no city razing.

Standard/Fractal/Normal/Noble with the default rule settings. Now I've uprgarded my RAM, I'm thinking about moving up to larger maps though.

1. Large/Pangea/Low Sea Level
2. Large/Archipelago/Snaky Continents/Low Sea Level
3. Large/Fractal/Low Sea Level

Random/Random 12+ Civs.

Huge marathon, monarch games with 18 civs, raging barbarians, permanent alliances and no tech trading. Those settings are pretty much the same every time.

I use smart map, and tend to vary the terrain a lot, so I have wildy different land each game I play. I'm very fond of conquering archipelago's. I love all the excessive troop managment that the majority of players seem to hate.

Huge maps with pretty vanilla settings. maybe ~12 AI. But I've got a mod to start with 3 settlers instead of 1. Makes the ancient era more interesting.

I like playing on lots of different maps. Every once in a while, I try to throw in a new map script or style. I don't like playing on the same settings for every game. It gets boring and my play never improves.

My favorite Warlords leader is Cyrus (Imp/Cha). For Vanilla, my favorite is probably Elizabeth. I usually choose a random leader, however.

I sometimes set Permanent Alliances, No City Razing, City Flipping After Capture, and Lock Modified Assets (if no mod is being used).

I play on either Prince or Monarch, depending on the desired challenge. On perceived "easy" maps, I will often play Monarch. I win fairly easily on Prince, but I have not yet become bored with it.

Small / Continents / Random Sea Level / Temperate - I find it easier to tolerate micromanagement when I don't need to obsess over every detail in a dozen cities. Continents keeps down the number of cities, as well. Also, with less competition, you will have a much easier time of founding religions and completing wonders. Clearing your continent of pesky AIs takes less units and less real-world time. All-in-all, it's probably a more relaxed and less difficult game. I usually go for the defaults, but five or six civilizations works well.

Medium / Continents / Random Sea Level / Random Climate - I often think of this as the 'default' SP game.

Large / Continents / Random Sea Level / Tropical - With more AIs comes more challenge. Tropical worlds are fun, because your cities often balloon to gigantic sizes. Expansive is marginally more helpful. Cottage spam becomes a potent strategy. Watch out for runaway AIs on their own continents. Mansa Musa sometimes launches spaceship parts while everyone else is bickering back and forth with sharp pieces of iron. Ten civilizations works well for me. This keeps the continents packed full of angry natives to conquer.

Huge Oasis - Ever played one of these? It's a crazy experience. I bribed Mao and Alex into attacking my worst enemies over a dozen times, each time with devastating effect. I didn't often need to get my own hands dirty, which was good -- I didn't have many strategic resources! After allying the world against a rogue nation several times, I eventually came to possess a wide-reaching empire with several close allies and a few mutual friends who were quite happy to vote me in as General Secretary. It was not difficult to trigger a diplomatic victory afterwards, after unifying the world against the people who refused to vote for me.

Large / Pangaea / Random Shore / Low Sea Level / Temperate - This is great for warmongering. Doesn't hurt for builder games, but the presence of so many nearby AIs usually leads to at least a couple major wars. The lack of naval combat doesn't really turn me off, but sometimes the over-reliance on melee units does lead to one-sided strategies. Warrior rush, axe rush, sword rush, mace rush, and maybe a final cavalry or tank rush. But I suppose it's still fun.

Large / Custom Continents / One Per Team / Random Sea Level / Temperate - My girlfriend and I play these often, with several AI teams vs us.

I also like Tectonics and Smart Map. Random, Shuffle, and Fractal generate good, random maps.

Small or Standard/Terra/Noble/Any Civ

Huge / Marathon / Fractal / 11 or 12 AIs with random climate and sea levels. The only extra option is the "complete kill" one that requires wiping out the enemy civ down to the last unit. I generally only play for Domination/Conquest victories because I like to spend as much time in the individual game as possible (17 hours for my last one that took about 2 weeks to finish).

With that many AIs you get crazy world wars and dog-piling along with usually 2-3 religion "blocs". Lots of trade, diplomacy, vassals, and getting AIs to attack each other.

Note: I'm running a 2GHz Opteron, 2GB of RAM, GeForce 7800GS w/ 256MB. To run huge worlds, you really need the 2GB of RAM.

Huge, 12-18 Civs, Marathon

WuphonsReach said:
To run huge worlds, you really need the 2GB of RAM.
not really, 1GB works just fine, although in late game there is about a minute between turns ;)

mice said:
BTW what does torroidal mean in the map options?
you can also go from the northpole to the southpole.

ok, that is worded badly, let me try again:
just like when you hit the edge of the map in the east, you end up all the way in the west, it is the same with north and south.

i hope i made myself clear, although i doubt it ;)

I enjoy playing at the moment

large, 3 continents, 14 civs, ottomans, raging barbs, permanent alliances, emperor

I also ten dto switch between tech trading on and off.
I like ice age maps too.

Enigma256 said:
you can also go from the northpole to the southpole.

ok, that is worded badly, let me try again:
just like when you hit the edge of the map in the east, you end up all the way in the west, it is the same with north and south.

i hope i made myself clear, although i doubt it ;)
you did, but i'll give it another go:
this toroidal map wraps on both axis (EW and NS)

Top Bottom