Which is your favourite new civ from Brave New World?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by JFD, Jun 10, 2013.

?

What is your favourite new civ from Brave New World?

1. Assyria

9.7%
  2. Brazil

9.4%
  3. Indonesia

7.4%
  4. Morocco

12.2%
  5. Poland

11.7%
  6. Portugal

8.7%
  7. The Shoshone

15.8%
  8. Venice

22.1%
  9. The Zulu

3.1%
  1. NukeAJS

NukeAJS King

Indonesia because their unique resources upon founding a city outside the starting continent seems to be: A) a great reason to want to found colonies (I usually take other people's cities on my own continent before I look abroad) and B) lets me trade my unique resources to others that can't get them.

Also the kris swordsman seems like it gets unique promotions, some being quite powerful. Their garden replacement though ... it seems like it's best used if you're inbetween three or four religion-founding civs. If that's the case, then you end up founding your own or at least getting lots of great prophets to make religious sites? I'm sure there's a neat way to use that UB, but it's too soon to tell.

2. IkM

IkM King

Morocco. Their UU looks great and I want to try them first. then Venice and Portugal.

3. JtW

JtW Prince

My personal list (as everyone seems to be making them):

1. Poland - being Polish. Plus I've always loved maximizing the bonuses from SPs, and they are great for that.
    2. Morocco - don't really know why, they just seem extremely cool. One problem I have with them is the Kasbah spam we could see in some screenshots. It doesn't look all that great.
    3. The Shoshone - I love the Pathfinder's special ability and am curious about the bigger starting radius for cities. I normally don't REX but with them, I will.
    3. Venice - I love naval, commercial civs. Plus, everything about Venice seems to be tailor-made for my usual play style.
    3. Indonesia - they are weird and unique. I have a feeling I'll end up playing them a lot.
    4. Portugal - naval and commercial, too. Feitorias look really interesting, but also a hassle (sending the workers across the globe, protecting them, etc.)
    5. Brazil - too late game focused for my tastes.
    6. The Zulus - I am not a warmonger, so no thanks.
    7. Assyria - I will probably try them for the UB, but for some reason I am really underwhelmed by them.

As you can see, a few civs are in 3rd place - I am equally excited about them all.

4. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

I voted Shoshone. It'll be the civ I play first and I think the bonuses will suit my playing style. The Assyrians get an honourable mention, being an ancient civ and I will definitely be using them in my mod ;).

5. VirtuallyJesse

VirtuallyJesse Chieftain

Really surprised by this! I guess it's true anywhere you go, the negative side is always louder and more vocal than the positive side. My favorite is, well, Venice. :cool:

It's like they took the concept of playing as a city state (directly controlling one city,) then made it synergize and work with the rest of the game. It sounds really fresh and after 400 hours played I'm looking for something new.

6. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

Same for me. I can't wait to play them.

7. chrisjwmartin

chrisjwmartin Chieftain

I like playing OCC anyway, so obviously Venice.

8. TimeWeaver

TimeWeaver Warlord

Given the current standings, with the last revealed civs being in the number one and number two spots, I reckon Firaxis did keep the best for last. Kudos to them! :)

9. The QC

The QC Quietly Confident

I think we also voted for the latest two because we had time to get bored with the other ones :).

But it's definitely interesting that, while it feels like most posts on Venice are negative, they garnered the most votes. It shows how easy it is to get the wrong impression in regards to what a community thinks.

10. NoPartials

NoPartials Chieftain

My favorite addition is Brazil, not necessarily because I think I will play them the most (although they are going to be who I try a cultural victory with first), but I really just like the direction the this Civ takes the franchise in. I love that they are trying to include more modern, emerging-market civs and hope that this is only the first of many they add either to this game of future adaptiations.

11. Merciorum

Merciorum Prince

It's more about how vocal people are than how many people like them. If we were going by internet comments in general, everyone would either be militant atheist or a fundamentalist, and there would be many more neo-Nazis than I'd be comfortable with.

12. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs Emperor

The votes line up almost perfectly with how new each civ is to the franchise. Zulu have always been in, and they are last. Portugal has become a staple, second to last. Poland and assyria are the oldest from this pack and trail everyone with the exception of indonesia for poland. Venice and the shoshone are in first and are most recent.

People seem to favor freshness except for weird unique combinations like indonesias

13. Hruberen

Hruberen Chieftain

Assyria: 5 points Really exciting, love looking forward to establishing a huge early lead and then choosing targets base on tech
    Treasures of Nineveh - +3 pretty cool, allows a more well rounded tech tree
    Siege Tower - +3 Awesome, should completely change warfare, and looks sweet as well
    Royal Library - -1 Ok, least exciting of the three, but seems really strong

Brazil: 3 points Exciting, stacking carnivals ala Perisa, sounds really fun
    Carnival - +2 awesome, I really like golden ages, and this allows some sweet micro for Cul Victories
    BEF - -1 pretty cool, but looks like too little, too late
    Camps - +2 Cool, should help out with losing the gold from rivers

Indonesia: 7 points Potentially excited off the charts, I love the color too
    Spice Islanders - +2 Really intriguing, waiting to see if its the first 2 cities on every continent other than your starter, in that case i'm super excited as that is my favorite playstyle
    Kris Swordsmen - +3 meh, I never use swordsmen, but the randomness is cool
    Candi - +2 Pretty Cool, Could be fun in Culture and Science VCs, but need more info

Morocco: 4 points some what excited, the UA feels obligatory and I do think it's powerful, just not for me
    Gateway to Africa - +3 meh, seems like an amalgamation of Arabia and Sweden, powerful but boring, still looking for clarification though, if you couldn't get the bonus from the same civilization twice, then it'd be a bit more fun
    Berber Cavalry - -1 Eh, I don't remember the last time I used any sort of mounted unit that I built, let alone fought with in my territory, may be fun as a gift from CS
    Kasbah -+2 Really Cool, most exciting part of Morocco, forts plus yields in deserts which are the most interesting terrain type, yes please

Poland: 0 points Exciting, will most likely play to make the most of the new policy system
    Solidarity - +2 Pretty awesome, increased use of the new policies and ideologies, sign me up
    W. Hussar - -1 Ok, see Berber Cavalry, but this is more interesting because of the unique ability
    Ducal Stable - -1 Boring, may be powerful, but I always feel like I need to build xp buildings when I really don't want to, promotions should be earned in combat

Portugal: 6 points Super Exciting, THE premier trading civ imo, much more flavorful than Morocco, in all ways Portugal was the civ I was looking for in this expansion, that just screamed I am for you, though it would have been Indonesia if it had more of a naval focus, and they could have one better on Portugal's colours, they are stark and harsh.
    Mare Clausum - +1 point for being exactly what I expected
    Nau - +3 for creating interesting design space
    Feitoria - +2 Awesome, gives the best thing ever to deal with improvement filling by sending your workers off to foreign lands or used on a nearby CS in the beginning to REX

Zulu: 4 points, Somewhat exciting, good colours, powerful military
    UA - -1 point for not being interactive
    Impi - +2 points for getting a melee andranged attack
    Ikanda - +3 points for having some space to explore

France: 3 points, Exciting, I really hate france the way they are now, don't know why but I will not play as them, but this new direction is definitely something I could get behind, though I do so wish it was India getting this treatment instead
    City of Light - +3 points for being a fun mechanic
    Musketeer - -2 points for not changing
    Chateau - +2 at least for not being expected and a welcome change

Venice: Total 7 points, I would have preferred Switzerland to this civ, but the gameplay looks fun at least, though it would suck if you didn't start on the main ocean.
    Serenissima: +3 point for not being able to build more cities. point for getting double trade routes. point for a merchant after optics. points for purchasing in puppets.
    Merchant of Venice: +2 point for being a great merchant replacement, points for buying more cities
    Great Galleas: +2 point for replacing the galleass, point for being stronger than the galleas

Shoshone: total 0 points, not really anything I would expect from a civilization but i'm looking forward to trying them out and getting uber upgraded scouts in the ancient era.
    Great Expanse: -1 points for starting with additional territory. point for having a combat bonus in friendly lands.
    Pathfinder: +2 points for replacing the scout, one of my favorite units. for choosing the ancient ruin. for being more expensive.
    Comanche Riders: -1 point for being a cavalry replacement. points for being faster. point for costing less to produce.

1. Indonesia/Venice
    2. Portugal
    3. Assyria
    4. Zulu/Morocco
    5. Brazil/France
    6. Shoshone/Poland

I prefer the civs before the slash than the ones after.

14. adwcta

adwcta King

Same.

15. tranger66

tranger66 Warlord

I voted Shoshone because I am excited about the scout abilities. I love the ability to get some promotions and create an ultra archer. I'm not a warmonger but I think the Zulu and Assyria will help me in the early game. Portugal and Morocco look like fun to play. Poland looks good but kinda boring. Venice and Indonesia will be interesting to try but look very dependant on specific starting locations. Brazil, I really don't know how they will play.

The only certain thing is I will play all of them and enjoy all the new features.

16. Phoenix1595

Phoenix1595 Lord of the Two Lands

I voted for Morocco, mainly because I'm intrigued about the new trading routes system and Morocco may be a great civ to learn the ropes with it. Plus, the kasbah will really allow players to experience a strong, desert-based civ regardless of owning Petra.

The Shoshone and Indonesians also have some fun appeal, and I'll be sure to check them out. I always enjoyed playing as the Sioux/Native Americans in previous Civ games, and while I enjoy the Iroquois, it's nice that the Shoshone were included to represent the Great Plains/Rockies tribes. Likewise, the Indonesians, to me, represent another great SE Asian civ with a unique playing style, similar in vein to Polynesia's island hopping style.

Finally, Venice will be a great, fun challenge to play. It looks like a thoughtful inclusion into the civ arena, and certainly plays to the trading aspect of this xpac. There indeed was a Venetian empire, for you naysayers, and it did succeed in controlling affairs in the Mediterranean for several hundred years until it ultimately collapsed in the early 1700s. For those interested in learning more, there's a great book out called "City of Fortune" about Venice's rise and fall. It did have more than one city (primarily, ports on the Adriatic and Aegean Seas), but BNW will force players into the one-city realm with Venice, which I think makes for a more interesting game.

All of these trade-based civs with specific weaknesses (Morocco as desert-based, Venice with one city, etc.) are a departure from the previous conquering horde and cultural powerhouse civs we've seen before. I think the point (and beauty) of BNW will be to show how trading and exploration turned otherwise dull backwater civs into wealthy and powerful players in history. I'm looking forward to it!

17. baptismbyfire

baptismbyfire Warlord

I love that they are taking chances on all of these civs. I really want the unique attributes to do more to make each game feel very, very different. Shoshone is one that best suits my tastes, so I am excited for them, although I expected before hearing their abilities to be totally apathetic. Nevertheless, Brazil and Indonesia are my favorites because it sets a precedent to start putting in the countries that are major players in the world today. Even though I could do without Portugal, I find their UB really interesting and games involving them, Venice and Austria should be interesting. Also love Poland because I find upgraded medieval units to have the biggest impact in the game. In the beginning and late games, the units are all weak or all very strong such that few unique units are really game-changers outside of the battering ram. The middle game edge is huge.

18. Fluxx

Fluxx Mr. Almost There

I voted for Venice, mostly due to their unique playstyle, but also because they seem quite powerfull.

Portugal is probably second due to the UA, UU and UI all having unique effects and catering to another interesting playstyle.

Assyria might be a sleeper though, and possibly the next Mayans, depending on how their UB works. For the people who forgot, their is a reason why libraries got stripped of their original scientist slot, and if it produces GS points that is a very big deal.
    Plus conquering a city at any point in the game and getting a potential free RA/GS pop from it is also nothing to sniff at.

The polish UA can be quite powerfull and at least interesting, and their UB is extremely powerfull.
    Gold used to be pretty hard to come by in the early game, plus the extra experience for cavalry means you might get 3 promotion knights in the medieval age.

The other 4 civs seem quite underwhelming to me though.
    Morocco can be a potential AI powerhouse though, because it seems quite impossible to tackle them with any military means depending on their start.

19. Bfoxius

Bfoxius Chieftain

Play order:
    Brazil (Fits my playstyle, sums up BNW pretty well.)
    Venice (Underpowered but fun! Also fits my playstyle.)
    Shoshone (Seems interesting. Not too BNW based, but I'll give them a shot.)
    Assyria (I want to try warmongering someday, and this is a good intro for a science-based player like me.)
    Poland (Same as Brazil, and I like social policies.)
    Indonesia (Second coolest of the new trade-based civs.)
    Morocco (Morocco+Desert Folklore+Kasbah=Super deserts!)
    Zulu (I like their history, but other than that...)
    Portugal (Most boring of the trade-based civs.)

20. Monado

Monado King

Chose Morocco because I am most excited to play as them, but I am almost just as excited to play against the Zulu.