Who else agrees that Civ 5 has been dumbed down?

Who else agrees that Civ 5 has been dumbed down?

• Yes

Votes: 853 50.7%
  • No

Votes: 677 40.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 152 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol: :goodjob:

Is that pun intentional, or just the best Freudian Slip of the day?

dV

I saw that too and was thinking the exact same thing. The game should definitely be dumped down somewhere. :lol:

Not that i expect any life altering outcomes but i have filed a complaint with the BBB. I feel like i was lied to and mislead all for the sake of making a sell.
How anyone can defend this as a Civ game let alone a finished product just amazes me. If this came out for the consoles under anything but the Civ name i could understand but i believe PC gamers deserve better.
This game has been dumbed down to the lowest common denominator to appeal to the wii generation of lazy kids who want instant gratification.

Not that i expect any life altering outcomes but i have filed a complaint with the BBB. I feel like i was lied to and mislead all for the sake of making a sell.
How anyone can defend this as a Civ game let alone a finished product just amazes me. If this came out for the consoles under anything but the Civ name i could understand but i believe PC gamers deserve better.
This game has been dumbed down to the lowest common denominator to appeal to the wii generation of lazy kids who want instant gratification.

Thank you for being so proactive. Do you perchance have the E-mail address of the BBB so more people on here can be encouraged to write them? The bigger the numbers, the more they'll notice.

Thank you for being so proactive. Do you perchance have the E-mail address of the BBB so more people on here can be encouraged to write them? The bigger the numbers, the more they'll notice.
http://www.bbb.org/

But this asks for a zip code, so not sure if BBB is a national level function or if it is really a local level function (with a national unbrella group as a common point of contact).

edit: ah, now I see the US and Canada separate links, so maybe there is a national level function after all.

Info on complaint process: https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/getstarted.aspx?siteID=113 seems that a complaint can be filed on-line here.

dV

:rotfl:

Just now, you notice this fact? :mischief: This thread hasn't been about useful for quite a while, just two immovable sides sparring with each other, for the fun of it. Everything that can be said has been said, just dressing it in new language now.

It is like Democrats and Republicans arguing with each other ... which may explain why Congress isn't going anywhere useful either ... :rolleyes:

dV

The thread actually has some reasonable posts in it every now and then.

EDIT...
Hmm, there's no point me adding what I was going to write. Just that I agree with you it reminds me of American politics.

EDIT2
And just for the record, I am not trying to advance the position that the game is not dumbed down. My argument here was only about the manner in which people are conducting themselves. Thormodr and others, please just do me the one courtesy of not making assumptions about my point of view as if painting me as like I'm perfectly happy with the game, which I'm not. If you can quote me saying something, fair enough, otherwise let me speak for myself.

EDIT2
And just for the record, I am not trying to advance the position that the game is not dumbed down. My argument here was only about the manner in which people are conducting themselves. Thormodr and others, please just do me the one courtesy of not making assumptions about my point of view as if painting me as like I'm perfectly happy with the game, which I'm not. If you can quote me saying something, fair enough, otherwise let me speak for myself.
I told myself I wasn't going to post in this thread again, but I want to echo this, even if I conducted myself in a manner that PieceOfMind disagrees with.

I have a lot of grievances with the game, in fact if you look over my post history for Strategies and Tips, you'll see a lot of my comments are negative. But this thread doesn't address anything actually to do with complexity compared to a bunch of people just not liking the game for various reasons. It reached a conclusion that just doesn't follow and I think the thread reached a point that's disrespectful to the developers. It completely infuriated me.

I told myself I wasn't going to post in this thread again, but I want to echo this, even if I conducted myself in a manner that PieceOfMind disagrees with.

I have a lot of grievances with the game, in fact if you look over my post history for Strategies and Tips, you'll see a lot of my comments are negative. But this thread doesn't address anything actually to do with complexity compared to a bunch of people just not liking the game for various reasons. It reached a conclusion that just doesn't follow and I think the thread reached a point that's disrespectful to the developers. It completely infuriated me.

You have to ignore much of what this game is to think that this thread somehow disrespects the developers.

The fact is, the developers put out a failed piece of garbage product that doesn't work properly most of the time and fails in many aspects of the game in AI and features. As a consumer who just spent my hard earned money on this product, am I suppose to be content about this?

So, the developers have beat their own path and they are the ones to blame for selling us a unfinished product that fails in comparison to the natural order of the Civ series.

I am afraid any disrespect toward the developers is well earned by their product. It is shoddy. If it were a car it would be a lemon. It is Civilemon V.

The basics it is missing include: access to directory in save window, load saves by opening save file, window to name screeshots, screenshots in easy, simple and thrifty format (not the 8MB unopenable .tga stuff), and replays that ... well, REPLAY! Civ 4 had all of this, how could Civ 5 not?

Then we discover several laughable "unintended consequences": Piece of Mind's blanket of doom on Diety (AI war unit on every tile of the map), Lord Parkin's list of AI team dysfunction ... AI general combat incompetence ... you can't make this many mistakes as designers/programmers and expect to command any respect.

I am sorry if they feel disrespected. But it is not my fault.

dV

Ah well, Jon Shafer has already acknowledged that the game currently doesn't live up to the expectations, and he said he's committed to fix it. I think the devs are way past the "This is the best thing ever" hype phase and don't need to be told anymore that the game in its current state fails in many ways.

On the other hand, I do believe that disappointed customers have a right to vent. The vents shouldn't be glorified or mistaken for the much more valuable, constructive feedback that they simply aren't, but at the very least, they show that the people care for the product.

The vents shouldn't be glorified or mistaken for the much more valuable, constructive feedback that they simply aren't, but at the very least, they show that the people care for the product.

Well said, and you demonstrate an ability which I envy: looking on the bright side. In the end all complaints serve a purpose. I just hope that people can express them and discuss them without getting into fights. :)

Well, for things like AI; there is no way to give valuable constructive feedback because you don't know what the developers are planning to do to fix the AI, no access yet to SDK, and then even with access to the code, any proper helpful feedback to fixing the AI would require alot of experience in programming AI.

So for the huge majority, complaints about AI cannot be valuable and constructive to the developers. Leaving ideas on how to improve AI no one knows if the devs would even see, read, or take into consideration... since they don't come around that often/or ever. And I doubt a massive change in combat gameplay is on the way; it will likely be something to try to fix the current AI probs to the best of their abilities.

Not dumbed downb, but in need of a lot of bug fixing, balance inprovement and other things the designers should have done in the first place. Still, it will probably be an awesome game after some patches.

The thread actually has some reasonable posts in it every now and then.

EDIT...
Hmm, there's no point me adding what I was going to write. Just that I agree with you it reminds me of American politics.

EDIT2

You are being perfectly fair therefore I will apologize for speaking for you then.

I do appreciate that you are being the calm voice of reason.

Perhaps your way is the best way. Time will tell.

I do know though that in the cold, cruel world of business, the meek shall not inherit the earth. (and definitely not its mineral rights ;))

I think we need to stand up and shout because otherwise Firaxis and 2K Games aren't going to listen. $$$ talks. The threat of losing a fair amount of $$$ gets their attention.

I honestly don't think playing nice with them is going to be productive. In the business world, being nice is associated with weakness.

This is just my opinion though.

you know this would've been a great title on the consoles. why don't they move this game onto consoles and re-do civ5 for PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom