Who has the best Unique Units?

Originally posted by Buecephalus
For multiple U.F.O. sightings, I refer you to the deep south. For close encounters I refer you to Steven Spielberg.;)
I could start a thread that says Montezuma cussed at me, has anyone else had this happen? and I'd get corroboration. There's only one G.A. period.:rolleyes:

haha funny guy. you think that up yourself? i applaud you.

maybe you havent had 2 GA's in a game, but i have, and more than once. other people have too. If you think we're lying, thats great. It's not my fault youre a thickskulled closedminded fool.

If you're simply having problems dealing with things that go against your worldview, i refer you to a counselor.

Why don't you actually try to get 2 GA's in a game? Maybe you haven't gotten them because you're just not good enough.

I'll respond with Cephyn's own words from another thread:

"Resorting to personal attacks? Great, you're a genius."

And yes, I did think it up on my own.

Thick headed? Close minded? Not good enough?

Ouch. I'm deeply scarred.:eek:

My responses were never personal attacks, and that trend will continue. I shall repeat: given the conditions that trigger a Golden Age, I have played more than enough games to see such a phenomenon occur. It has not occurred, it won't occur. Why?

Because it cannot. However, I've enjoyed the lively, albeit sometimes foolish, dialogue.

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Buecephalus
I shall repeat: given the conditions that trigger a Golden Age, I have played more than enough games to see such a phenomenon occur. It has not occurred, it won't occur. Why?

not big on math eh? Let's assume that it happens in 1% of cases. This does NOT mean it ALWAYS and ONLY happens 1 out of every 100 times. If you play 100 games and it doesn't happen, this in no way means it doesn't happen at all. Maybe my playing style lends itself better to triggering the 2 GA bug than yours.

Just because you haven't seen it does NOT mean it doesn't exist. Your argument that you have played enough games to have certainly seen it is absurd.

And I suspect now, given what Dan has said, that its a bug and far rarer than 1/100. So you may not have played more than enough games. Maybe you haven't been playing time properly to get 2 GA's. I'm not sure of the criteria, and if it IS a bug, then who knows what the criteria really are! Maybe it can only be done with certain civs on certain map conditions. I don't know -- Ive never claimed to know. Here is what I do know -- I've had it happen. In 4 or so separate games. It's rare. But it happens.

Im sorry you don't believe me. If youre that thickheaded to assume that whatever you have experienced is all there is to the game, i feel sorry for you. That you can't take my word for it is just sad. But hey, thats cool. You go on living in your world and I'll go on living in reality. Send me a postcard sometime.

Oh and if it ever DOES happen to you, if you ever encounter the multiple GA bug, god help us all as your world shatters, since you seem rather set in your obstinancy.

:rolleyes:

Nah, not big on math.

Big on facts, yep.

I live in the real world, I play this game in the real world.

Fact: It hasn't happened to me.

Fact: In all the threads I've tracked this on, you are the only one that this occurs to. No one else, on the threads I've read, has had this happen. And I know you'll put your little thread-link on now and say "LOOK LOOK, IT'S NOT JUST ME!" Everyone else however, hasnt' had this happen. I'm not calling you a liar.
Thickheaded maybe, foolish maybe, confused? DEFINITELY. But a liar? No.

Fact: yer big on mouth, short on proof.

You can skip the postcard, send me proof.:lol:

I have never been shot.

I have never seen anyone get shot.

I have lived for enough time, and been around enough that if people ever got shot, I would have seen it.

Therefore, by the Buecephalus Theorem (c. 2002), I can state, with absolute certainly and derision towards any who disagree, that no one has ever gotten shot.

To get back to the subject...........I like using the Roman Legionary. Once I get Iron, I crank these guys out and crush everything in my path. They are cheap and quick to produce.:die!:

regarding this illused 2GA bug it does exist I have had it happen to me once and only once. And regarding the meaning of this thread most people seem to overlook onw major quality of the SAMURI they are NOT MOUNTED at the same time you get knights or riders or whatever the AI has also just gotten pikeman plus 50% damage to MOUNTED units SAMURI are not making them doubly better than riders.

Feh. I live in the real world, my friend. I know how easy it is to fake video. Heck, I watch stuff like that in movies all the time. I demand that you bring me proof.

Before this goes any further - I'm not interested in debating this point. I was showing how dumb your "I haven't seen it" argument was. Frankly, I agree with you - I doubt that two G.A.s can happen, or it's a very rare bug if it did - but that doesn't mean I want to watch you snuff your own point under a dumbass argument.

I haven't played all the Civs yet but I've played against them all and have an opinion :) I've grouped most of the UU's into 3 categories in my thinking:

Useless. There are 3 units which I feel are largely useless, most people here seem to agree:
F-15 (America)
Man-O-War (England)
Musketeer (France)
The Musketeers are more useful than the other two I guess. But they have a blocked upgrade path (see next group) so I think they are actually worse than having no UU at all.

Can't upgrade. These 4 units include some of the most powerful in the game I think. But, each of them causes a major problem by blocking the upgrade path. Three of them replace Knights and Horsemen can't be upgraded to them. One replaces Cavalry and Knights can't be upgraded. In all of these cases, for my style of play, I'd rather not have the UU at all than have this liability! Great as some of these units are, I'd rather forgo the unit and be able to upgrade to Knights, sigh.
Rider (China)
War Elephant (India)
Samurai (Japan)
Cossack (Russia)
Of the above, I think the Rider is perhaps the best special unit in the game if it weren't for the upgrade problem. Samurai and Cossacks are also great. War Elephants don't seem very useful to me.

Too early. There are 7 units which I feel come too early in the game. Though some of them have great abilities, all of these, if their attack/defense advantages are used, will trigger a Golden Age long before I want one. (And, all arguments about whether one can have 2 GAs or not aside, if one can then it seems to be a bug and therefore an exploit. So I consider one to be my limit. That is all I've ever had anyway.) So, in all of these cases I'd almost rather not have a special unit than pay the price (too early a Golden Age.) It certainly offsets their advantages a lot.
Bowmen (Babylon)
War Chariot (Egypt)
Mounted Warrior (Iroquois)
Hoplites (Greece)
Immortals (Persia)
Legionary (Rome)
Impi (Zulu)
Of the above, I rather like the last 5, their abilities are all useful, they just have the Golden Age drawback. The first 2 (Bowmen and War Chariot) don't seem very useful to me.

That leaves 2 special cases:

Panzer (Germany): An awesome unit. I'd really like this one if it came earlier in the game. But by the time Tanks can be built, I figure I should pretty much have the game in hand if I'm going to win. So these guys come a bit late for my taste.

Jaguar Warrior (Aztecs): These also have the "too early" problem. But this isn't quite as bad a problem as in the other cases because they replace Warrior, and you can avoid ever fighting other Civs with Warriors. This doesn't cost much except forgoing any early opportunity to grab a poorly defended city - that's not an opportunity I count on getting anway. Jaguar Warriors have a plus in making the cheapest units at the start better explorers.

In summary, my overall opinion is that there isn't any UU I really want. It is a pity, some of them are very nice but the ones I like most have problems which offset their advantages.

With all things considered, my favorite is the Jaguar Warrior, because:
1) There isn't another one I like better.
2) The exploration bonus at the start is nice.
3) They are the Aztec UU and I really like Militaristic and Religious. I feel those are the strongest two abilities. (I'd put Industrious a close third.)

I'd feel differently about all this if there were a couple of small changes in the game. A change to make "Start your Golden Age now?" an option on winning with a UU would make many of the 7 units I blacklisted for that problem attractive again. A change to allow upgrading Horsemen to Knights (not even to the UU - it would be ok to have to build the UU separately) would make the blocked upgrade units more attractive.

The Best UU in the game has to be the Greek Hoplite! They get a defensive rating of 3, (same as pikeman) but the best thing is that you always start the game with'em! Some of you might argue that you need brownze working to build spearmen/hoplites but since the Greeks are Scientific, they start with the technology! It's just perfect....;)

I personnally love the Legion as:

1. Looks brilliant.
2. You only need to build Legions to have a military that is top of the range in defense and attack for an extremely long period of time.

SirPleb seems to have covered the topic pretty well. I would disagree about early GA's, as any small advantage early really makes a huge difference over the course of a game.

My favorite UU would have to be the Impi. If not because of their horse rush support and denial of AI resource abilities, then for the fact that my Horsemen won't have to fight against them if I'm the Zulu. The Mounted Warrior may be the most powerful unit for its time period, but Impi allow for more versatile warfare.

The musketeer does make a cool sound when he dies - some delayed double-cough. Makes me laugh :D

Any other votes for the best sounding?

Top Bottom