Who is the most dangerous leader?

Mansa is definitely not dangerous. Even if he's #1 in tech, he's always very far behind in power. Whenever I attack him he has maybe 2 garrison units per city and never has a SoD. He's easy pickins. he also prioritizes the sci method >physics>electricity>radio> mass media line, so he'll often have outdated military units, or he'll be defending with anti tanks and sam infantry instead of real infantry.

Mad Monty is not dangerous - he provides entertainment. :D

Hannibal (and other balanced leaders) can often be a true threat. Because I find him both to be strong in tech and strong in military, he has more than often proved a hard nut to crack.

Definitely Joao (best computer Rexer, likes conquest), Zara Yaqob (likes to tech and doesn't neglect army), and Mansa Musa (always the best techer).

Gilgamesh is my least favorite neighbor... he's protective, he's got an axeman UU, and he's usually rather mean. Basically any neighbor with a UU that is impossible to counter is extremely dangerous: Romans and Greeks especially.

Current results:

Shaka: IIII
Mansa: IIII
Suleiman: I
Boudica: I
Joao: III
Wang Kon: I
Zara: IIIII
Hannibal: IIII
Louis: I
Catherine: I
Isabella: III
Huayana: I
Caesar: I
Gilgamesh: I
Genghis: I

Yeah, I really hate not being next to [Zara] at the start. If I start next to Zara, you can be sure I'll axe rush him before he even knows what copper is. If he's allowed to develop his usual massive empire, he tends to be a strong techer too.
Sigh. I was next to him, and the axe rush was my plan, but the only copper on our small continent is WAY up in the far reaches of his territory. By the time Iron showed up, he was pretty well dug in, and I was falling behind in the tech race. If I had managed to wipe him out early, I would be so far ahead right now, that I would probably be building dozens of privateers just to keep me amused. Instead, I let him reach his potential, which has made this game a real tough one right now.

I tried my best to build up the stack before he got gunpowder, but only managed to launch my attack right around that time. He promotes the Drill II Tonyromo Warriors with CG II, which is a GIGANTIC pain in the ass when you're nowhere near Steel for the appropriate response.

It looks like my best shot right now is to sweep up his western (and our shared,) border. First taking the Holy city (which only cost me a few cats, and won me a holy crusade quest for some much needed Muskets to defend it and keep the stack moving, then taking a medium value city on my way to his capital.

The nice thing about him is that he built almost as many wonders in his capital as I have macemen. I'm practically drooling :yumyum: at the thought of the pyramids, the great library, the great wall, and at least two others all within my reach. If I pull this off, and that's a big IF, he'll go from a dangerous leader to a very helpful one. Heh.

Nobody here picks backstabby cathy?

The AI's that annoy me the most (and cause me to lose ultimately) are those creative or otherwise FAST REXers who get something like 15 cities with minimal bloodshed. If they aren't the tech leader, they're close. They tend to run away with games left unchecked, which does occur on other continents. Also, if they're a leader like cathy, they'll gladly stick a knife in you too, usually with somewhat MASSIVE SoD's of troops that are likely not outdated.

I <3 Izzy. Don't hate on her.

Nobody here picks backstabby cathy?

I didn't name Catherine specifically earlier, but I agree that she can be dangerous... especially if you're new to Civ and arn't prepared for her. Anymore, I get to where I expect her to backstab me and so it's no surprise.

It's funny that the Germans aren't more dangerous. I rarely see the AI take a lead with the Germans. I've seen MM in the lead. I've seen the Romans in the lead frequently. I've seen the Incans in the lead, but I've never seen the Germans take the AI lead in any of my games. As the AI plays it, the Germans never really get in a position to take advantage of it's UU. It's too bad, because that would be a real problem for the Human player if it did.

Louis is my nemesis. I always am friendly with him and he techs well, then invades me. Now whenever I see him I immediately declare war.

It's funny that the Germans aren't more dangerous. I rarely see the AI take a lead with the Germans. I've seen MM in the lead. I've seen the Romans in the lead frequently. I've seen the Incans in the lead, but I've never seen the Germans take the AI lead in any of my games. As the AI plays it, the Germans never really get in a position to take advantage of it's UU. It's too bad, because that would be a real problem for the Human player if it did.

In my last game Otto was doing quiet well, he conquered most of his neighbours... in my experience mao, ramses and hannibal can get kinda difficult rivals if you let them grow. in my current game (huge/continents/34 civs/marathon/emperor) i'm in second in score graph, mao is 1st, he got 9 vassals!!! and has a huge military... we are too far from each other to wage war, i'm just waiting to have tanks to strike (i've no horses)... fortunately i'm far ahead him on tech... but i will have war with 10 civs if i attack!! i'm gathering a huge army now

Boudicca - every male in the vicinity of the computer stops what they're doing and turns to have a look at her whenever she - and her cleavage - comes onscreen. My boyfriend prefers Hatsepshut, because she (apparently) looks like me, but never mind about that. Boudicca causes wars, electrical faults and various spillages just by initiating trade.

;)

Monty + Zara = early game
Shaka = mid game
Churchill+Hannibal = late game

In my games, It's most often Hannibal . I like to play on Terra or Big and Small mapscripts. If he has enough coast, he has an economy to support an Army and research . That makes him a formidable foe in a fight, and a swift competitor in a space race. He makes things interesting, so I often include him when I don't play as him.

HC has an annoying habit of beating me to wonders and beating other nations into submission. I don't include him as often, but he's pretty good.

As for which agressive leader is most likely to conquer their continent if I'm not on it.... I'd say my experience demonstrates it's Shaka.

Shaka, Cathy, Portugal.

These !@#-hats, especially when they have someone to trade them gobs of techs after they REX out a huge empire or conquer even more.

Of the bloodthirsty warmongers, shaka techs the best thanks to his UB. Cathy and Joao just REX crazy and aren't exactly opposed to war (esp cathy).

Ethiopia always seems to do well too.

Joao, Shaka, Hatshepsut.

Nobody mentioned Sitting Bull? OMG he's like the Biggest Backstabber! He always spreads fast and ends up right on my Cultural borders when ever he's in a game. Then he constantly demands absurd trades. Always begging for you to help him in war and whatever else. He acts like a friend and then whamo out of no-where he's invading.

Monte used to be my biggest worry, but once you get used to him, you just know to keep watch on him at all times, he becomes less of a threat.

I have to agree about Isabella too. Adopt here religion and she's your best friend other wise, she will hunt you like a dog all game.

Top Bottom