who should i start with

hockeykidcurtis

Chieftain
i have played the game once and i had no clue what to do.
i want to know what civilization will advance me in technology the fastest and what civilization will advance me in war

There is a thread further down this page with info on what civ to play as.

I think its called "What civ should I start with", almost the same title as your's.

While some attributes are better than others, any civ is as capable of success as any other. You can warmonger effectively if your civ is commercial and expansionist, and be a beacon of knowledge with a militaristic civ. Theres really no best civ.

For a new player, you'll want to look for civs that are Industrious or Religous, as they are widely considered the best attributes. Next is scientific, expansionist, and then commercial. On paper commercial would look pretty handy, but its effect on corruption is so miniscule its really not worth it. Wheres militaristic? Somewhere between scientific and expansionist, it comes down to player preference.

If you're having trouble staying current technologically, its worth mentioning that you have to trade/buy technology with the AI nations early and often. If you try to research everything yourself, you'll fall very far behind.

For some basics on early warmongering see this thread

IMO, you should be persian, as they have good attributes, a good UU, and they are a pretty colour.

If you really want to win, rename your character to John A MacDonald, Canada, Canadians, Canadian. Then call all of your cities things like, Ottawa, Toronto, London, Montreal, Vancouver, Halifax, etc:D :D

Persia, Egypt, Japan or Babylon only.

No others. Ever. Even after the XP.

Unless you tailor the board, big pangea with no opponents. Then go ahead and be the Russians.

Originally posted by Sultan Bhargash
Persia, Egypt, Japan or Babylon only.

No others. Ever. Even after the XP.

Unless you tailor the board, big pangea with no opponents. Then go ahead and be the Russians.

Those are definetly the top tier civs, though the Iroquois belong up there as well, and possibly the chinese.

Relying on the over-powered civs will have you slipping into bad habits, and in a tight spot when multiplayer comes out. Most of the civs you listed lend themselves best to one particular style of play, and require pretty generous starts to take full advantage of.

I can imagine playing the same couple of civs over and over again would get old quick.

Better to random all of the game settings and learn to adapt.

Personally i find the iroquois and aztecs the best though you may be better off going for the babylonians if you dont want to start an early war. Whatever civi you go make sure to use your unique unit to trigger a golden age - this means declaring war on another civilisation and beating one of their units with your unique one

Originally posted by Sultan Bhargash

Never thought about playing with no opponents. Does it keep score?

German rock. Why

1.- militaristic attribute give you elite units very fast.
2.- milit. give you cheap barrack so you can produce veteran quicker
3.-Scientific attribute give you cheap library, it is much better than a cheap temple because you get cultural grow quicker and it give you science beaker at same time.
4.- You can either trigger a golden age with sun zsu art of war, if you are under monarchy or with newton college if you are under republic.
5.- Panzer + bomber are very powerfull in industrial age.

Top Bottom