1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why are the maps so small?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Kailan, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Callonia

Callonia Deity

Nah, I ain't doing any modding or anything. I suffered through the punishment that was Beyond Earth. Maps smaller than Civ5 in it.

So I made maps bigger, then suddenly bugs become rare sight.

Therefore, the simple thing for me to do is to ignore Firaxis until they get their act together. I only play on huge and bigger.

With Scenarios as the exception because they are scenarios! Otherwise I ain't paying 60+ dollars for something I don't want. That sixty dollars is better off being spent on something else that makes me happy not sad.

Flak Fox likes this.
  2. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

As an always huge player, I'm very disappointed.

Krajzen, need my speed and Flak Fox like this.
  3. Libermmucist

Libermmucist Chieftain

Seems that Civ6 needs a YUUUGE map size.

nzcamel likes this.
  4. VermelhoRed

VermelhoRed Prince

Thought the same thing :lol:

5. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

Wow really? I find the map sizes to be enormous. I only play on Standard, never bigger, and Standard in Civ VI has three huge continents whereas Standard in Civ V only really had two.

Jabulani likes this.
  6. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

The fact that Huge civ6 map is size of civ5 Large is... terrible.

1) Anybody has idea why?
    2) Anybody has idea if this can be easily modded?

7. Sonmi

Sonmi Chieftain

Holy moley, that explains a lot!

I no longer feel terrible for removing 2 AIs on my Huge games. Add to that the extra tiles that districts and wonders occupy, and no wonder the space feels cramped as all hell.

8. boneys26

boneys26 BTS Play session tester

Jumped from playing civ 4 to civ 6 and I can honestly say maps and AI are going backwards.. can't really say what civ 5 was like.. I've owned it from day one but I have 263 hours played.. didn't matter what I done I couldn't get into it.

I read all the hype about cities being unstacked a smarter AI etc.. Great! or so I thought, cities are better but smaller map sizes make it messy by the end game you cant see the map.. just to much going on in the limited space of Civ6 "huge" (tiny) maps, as for the AI.. lol, kongo told me he wasn't happy I wasn't spreading my religion less than a minute after I had spread to his only city.

9. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs Emperor

Hm, I'm playing on a large map with 5 or 6 other Civs on my island and I have 12 cities without taking over any. The other Civs have 4-8 cities. Didn't really have an issue with not enough land.

You can always lower sea levels if you think there's too much water?

10. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

Yeah, if you note the post we're discussing, it's large and huge maps that have shrunk. Not your standard map.

11. stiiknafuulia

stiiknafuulia King

12. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

It's disturbing to see the performance issues with those somewhat bigger (but still relatively small) map sizes.
    I guess we got the answer why the developers increased the smaller map sizes, but decreased Large and Huge.
    It's vexing, really, given that performance was one of the main reasons for the graphical style.

13. AltarofScience

AltarofScience The Brain

I'm pretty annoyed right now. With only a moderate increase to map size the game often fails to load and moreover its using 1.6-1.9 gigs of my dedicated graphics ram from my g-card. Meanwhile, its barely using under 3 gigs of my normal ram. I'm running 192 to 120 as the map size and the game is freaking out. This is a 64-bit game for <snip> sake. How is the performance so bad?

Moderator Action: Please help keep the forums friendly family. Profanity removed.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2016
  14. Becephalus

Becephalus King

Well as someone who founded 8 cities in my first standard sized game, and then built 3 more in the new world I am not sure what the OP is talking about. When I played on a large map I had room for over a dozen cities. How far are yous pacing yours apart 10 spaces?

I have been more like 4-8, so most tiles get built eventually.

15. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

Isn't that exactly the point? I'd expect a dozen or so cities on a small to medium map. But then, I come from Civilization IV.

16. Becephalus

Becephalus King

I have been playing Civ a long time. I don't recall any versions where you were regularly founding over a dozen cities without conflict. I mean the maps are slightly smaller, but it is hardly some giant change. The game has much bigger issues.

17. Jabulani

Jabulani Warlord

I play on tiny maps against 4-6 opponents and maps are quite big for my gameplay :)

18. fatgordy

fatgordy Chicken in Pants

I am playing an inland sea map on standard size and there is lots of open space. I'd really be surprised if someone played it on large or huge and complain about not having enough room.

19. Barathor

Barathor Emperor

Firaxis made the map sizes more proportional with the default number of civs. (See the Tiles/Civ column and also how they measure up, percent-wise, to Standard.)

In Civ 5, the Huge size was huuuuge. The default 12 Civs was not even close to enough (to fill the map in a standard manner), there was 64% extra space for each civ. That's why those sizes had different rules which allowed for more expansion. Perhaps Firaxis wanted to stick to simple increments of +2 with Large and Huge as users increased map size. Perhaps (more importantly) it also had to do with the luxury distribution system and the original limited pool. Also, there were probably only 18 civs at launch, so each game would be against the same civs on Huge, because if Firaxis wanted to match Standard better, Huge would have a default of 18-20 civs.

I haven't even dug through Civ 6 yet (I promised myself I wouldn't start that yet and I would just learn and enjoy the game as it is, haha), but I wouldn't be surprised if the two largest map sizes now play under the same "rules". If so, then it's better design, in my opinion. I may even try out Large or Huge now because of this, if I ever want to play against a bit more civs at a time. I wasn't a fan of their implementation in Civ 5.

EDIT: Image wasn't working.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  20. Nefelia

Nefelia Prince

One of the first mods created was the YNAMP map pack which offers three new map sizes: enormous, giant, and ludicrous. The run pretty well on high end machines, though there is an odd problem that the barbarians' turn takes forever when there are barbarian units in visual range. Probably has something to do with the barbarian AI decision-making process.