1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice

Why are the maps so small?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Kailan, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Takfloyd

Takfloyd Prince

Civ V maps were already small and these are even smaller.

I don't really mind the size of the continents, the problem is that there's WAY too little water, with continents usually hitting both the top and bottom edge of the map. On standard settings the map should be 70% water and crossing the ocean should take some time.

2. Dedrytus

Dedrytus Warlord

As a huge/marathon player i do not see issues with map size. In fact, without sentry function managing barbarians is painful even in later eras. Without city management panel it is very easy for me to forget if I put settler for production or not etc. Only issue I have with continents maps is the size of ICE!. The oceans are not connected - I am always ending with 2 or 3 separated oceans, maybe it is my bad luck. Last game I had super production port city with venetian sth.on west side of my continent but ALL my great admirals were on east side.

3. johnnybaseball

johnnybaseball Chieftain

Yeah, this is annoying. Most of the continents seem to block passage from one ocean to the other in my games, too.

4. Heklios

Heklios Chieftain

I think the map sizes are perfectly fine...
    Man, people will complain just for the sake of complaining.

5. erhaminus

erhaminus Chieftain

Probably because of poor optimization of the game and speed issues with many AI players/cities/units? While I has been playing recently (standard map size) I took "end of turn"s about 2 minutes each in later eras. IMHO unplayable for a long run.

6. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

I take it you normally play on standard size maps or smaller?

Eurik likes this.
  7. HEXO

HEXO Chieftain

8. Eurik

Eurik Chieftain

I remember how adventurous discovering early lands and later continents were in Civ IV. And how it was possible to reach North through South. Such epic random maps were created! -Sigh- I do not find that in Civ VI.

9. HEXO

HEXO Chieftain

I have started playing Civ on Civ V what made civ IV's Maps special?

10. Eurik

Eurik Chieftain

@HEXO: In general it was the overall atmosphere which created a unique feeling of adventure. I always play huge maps on marathon. This created in the beginning of the game in IV a deserted roaming of wild lands. Encountering other civilizations came much later than in VI. The oceans were wide and unsurpassible in the beginning. Waters were a specialty you could specialize in. This is what 'embark' in V and VI ruins. In Civ IV you needed to research sailing, navigation to build ships to cross the ocean. Then a new chapter of exploration started; discovering new continents and civlizations. To colonize you needed special transporters to get your units across the ocean. That made an overseas project Always very exciting and special. Also the maps were bigger. Oceans and lands were wider. In VI continents are more connected and closer to each other. Often they are already explorable with 'embarking' scouts. And like East and West are connected in VI you had the option in IV to connect North with South, giving a much more realistic world map. Basically you had two waves of exploration and settling. 1) Exploring and settling the lands of your own continent. 2) Exploring and settling uninhabited new islands and other continents. Smaller maps, close connected continents and 'embarking' have reduced the first wave and almost eliminated the second wave.

nzcamel likes this.
  11. BrendanVI

BrendanVI Chieftain

"Why are the maps so small?"

So that the terrorists hiding in their caves can pretend to rule the world on the pc that they found at the dump.

12. nzcamel

I agree with everything you say.... but perhaps you better clear up what you're saying here so it doesn't sound like you're talking about some weird magic world ;)
    i.e. if you were on a map where north and south connected, then east and west were the Poles that didn't touch. Like Uranus.

13. Eurik

Eurik Chieftain

It had a special name at the start of the game. But I'm not a native English speaker so I forgot that special name. To clear up: East and West were standard connected, but on top of that you had the option to create a random map that besides connecting East and West also connected North to South. This made the maps more realistic. I loved it when that option entered Civlization.

nzcamel likes this.
  14. nzcamel

Ahhh, sorry, you're right. The word you're after in English is 'Toroidal'.

Eurik likes this.
  15. Eurik

Eurik Chieftain

"Toroidal"! That was it! And that's what I liked. :)