Why aren't there good historical scenarios for CivIV?

Prester John 2

Warlord
Scenarios used to be really interesting part of the civ series: In Civ2-Civ4 there were fantastic scenarios covering every historical setting imaginable. Even Civ5 still had some interesting scenarios. But apart from the few original ones delivered from the devs there's (almost) no scenario for Civ6. Why is that so?
Sure, there are plenty of mods, maps and new civilizations, but no real scenario experience with preplaced cities, units on a special map.

I think there's just been a shift in design philosophy away from scenarios and towards emphasizing the base game. I think the Vikings scenario was also poorly received, but that may have been more about the timing (including it as part of the deluxe edition) rather than a general dislike of scenarios. Personally I prefer the emphasis on the base game, but I can see how scenario fans would be disappointed.

Yes, I wasn't talking about the official scenarios but why there are hardly any made by the community? Is it the restrictions of the game dll?
Meanwhile, some of the official SP scenarios are lacking in that you have to follow a straight path and can only choose one or two civs. I like scenarios where you can choose different civs and all have different objectives and challenges to overcome. Those of you who played Civ2's Crusades and Rise of Rome scenario will understand. You had to conquer some cities and each city was marked by winning points. Or if you take Rhye's and Fall from Civ4 where you had historical victories for each civs.

Scenarios used to add mechanics to the game. Now there are so many mechanics in the base game it makes it really hard to make a scenario.

I tried for awhile to make a 600 AD scenario for civ 5, but there's just so many elements. Like social policies wouldn't be needed to make a scenario, but without them, like how do you make culture relevant ?

I really love the idea of using a randomised map (civ V scramble for africa style) for scenarios, but again so many elements........

Yes, I wasn't talking about the official scenarios but why there are hardly any made by the community? Is it the restrictions of the game dll?
Meanwhile, some of the official SP scenarios are lacking in that you have to follow a straight path and can only choose one or two civs. I like scenarios where you can choose different civs and all have different objectives and challenges to overcome. Those of you who played Civ2's Crusades and Rise of Rome scenario will understand. You had to conquer some cities and each city was marked by winning points. Or if you take Rhye's and Fall from Civ4 where you had historical victories for each civs.
The atrocity of the World Builder is the number 1 reason why you probably don't see that many custom scenarios in Civ 6.

It's awkward to use, and isn't nearly as powerful as the Civ 5 version was (or Civ 4, or even Civ 3).

Which is funny considering Civ 4 also has a built in World Editor.

The poor LUA API (we basically had to figure it on our own) means that it's much harder to figure out what is possible and what isn't.

Also - IV = 4, VI = 6.

Man so much fun with the WW2 scenario in Civ2

Sorely missed

There are a few mods on the Workshop like “1939 start” or whatever but I have’nt tried them

Top Bottom