1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Can't I Capture Great People???

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by holywar, Nov 19, 2013.

1. ViterboKnight

ViterboKnight King

I disagree with the main point.
    IMO, it is fine the way it is now: it is NOT possible to steal GP.

In a game where war is a great way to go (maybe, the most effective one) and let you obtain what you might have missed (conquering cities you haven't found yourself, obtaining wonders you haven't built yourself, etc), it's fine to have something that can be obtained ONLY if YOU produce it by YOURSELF.

If you want GP, you must produce them, so you have to think at something else, apart of war. You cannot use your army to obtain them as well. I find it to be well balanced as it is now.

2. cpm4001

cpm4001 Goggleman

...and that's why Steve Jobs is a Great Merchant in-game, rather than a Great Engineer. He didn't do crap to invent the tech gadgets, but he sure was amazingly good at parting idiots from their money.

3. Ford

Ford Warlord

Well I LOL'd :lol:

4. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

He's also a pretty lousy dancer ;)

5. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

I knew nothing about this guy until I started getting interested about mobile phones (cell phones for the big place across the sea) and started comparing the types of them. there seemed to be this almost cult like love of him and the Apple iphone. I did a comparison check of the phones and in almost every aspect I looked at his phones were more limiting, constricting and less powerful than the present rivals. I couldn`t see what was so great about his phones- and why should anyone have to run to a dedicated store to replace a batterry or what not? I chose a competitor which was more powerful, allowed more freedom and never looked back over several years.

It seems it needed someone from the outside to see clearly.

I have nothing against the guy personally and am sorry for his loss, but he just doesn`t seem that amazing to me compared to anyone else.

6. bcaiko

bcaiko Emperor

Texas isn't really part of the U.S. anymore. Ask the Texans.

Sadly, they somehow control what can go in our textbooks.

7. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

@Socrates: His genius was in the marketing arena, not technical skills. His accomplishments are still pretty impressive though IMO. Great merchant fits.

8. CaptainPatch

CaptainPatch Lifelong gamer

Heartily agree. Everyone really needs to see the movie "Pirates of Silicon Valley". It presents some rather harsh biographies of both Jobs and Gates when they were just clawing their way up the Tech Industry hierarchy. They were both thieving con men that made good.

Agreed that Woz was the _real_ tech genius in the whole picture. Unfortunately for him, he wasn't very Marketing-savvy, nor was he temperamentally suited to corporate intrigue.

9. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

Can I have some of that? :eekdance:

No, seriously? That was sarcastic, right? Something to lift the mood on your complaint? Comic relief?

10. Scarpa

Scarpa Prince

As an engineer who has worked at many startups and am somehow NOT a billionaire yet (I'd settle for millionaire!) I will never, ever underestimate the value of sales and marketing.

11. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

I see. Well that makes sense then.

12. holywar

holywar Chieftain

But is it fine when an opponent sneak attacks you and vaporizes your GP after you've done all that work to produce him? Even if GPs are not capturable, they should be harder to destroy (I prefer garrisoning them to the nearest friendly city when attacked by an enemy) or there should at least be some serious diplomatic consequences when a GP gets destroyed.

And again, you can already take the improvements through war. Theoretically the equivalent to the GP. I don't understand what so sacrosanct about the other GPs that only great prophets can be captured alive.

13. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

well, captured great prophets can only spread their religion, right? That might be part of it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

14. Kintara

Kintara Warlord

You can capture unexpended Great Prophets and plant them as holy sites. In fact, it's great fun. :)

15. holywar

holywar Chieftain

Isn't Wozniak a hockey player? When did he start messing around with computers?

16. PreLynMax

PreLynMax Your Lord and Master

I see the education system has failed you, but Einstein wasn't captured. He ran away from Hitler's insanity (posted above).