• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Why do people say "Diety"?

Native speakers of most Indo-European languages are unable to differentiate the neighbouring Chinese provinces of Shanxi and Shaanxi (but native speakers of the Chinese languages can).

differentiate the neighbouring Chinese provinces of Shanxi and Shaanxi
Yeahh! "Western" people have only the slightest chance, if they heard Chinese languages during their first months ... of course without any understanding ...
Later the brain isn't longer able to learn it easily ... :( ... I'm struggling heavily with the "Mandarin" tones, let alone spoken in original speed. It was quite funny though to listen my language coach from "Canton" explaining me the several tones her native language has additionally to the "Mandarin" five.

(But it works also the other way round; e.g. the difference ..ong & ..om, simply because all "Mandarin" words end with a vowel or ..n or ..ng or the seldom exception ..er)

Wow, you guys have convinced me of something. I've always pronounced it "dee ity" but from the spelling it really should be "day ity" -- regardless of what is "acceptable" that is the only way the spelling makes sense. And of course coming from "deus" etc.

For now on I resolve to only pronounce this word with a long "a" sound. If everyone did that there would be no confusion. :egypt:

Top Bottom