Why do some hate steam?

I think whowards point was that he doesn't believe the system should just start programs in the event that you might use them. That isn't an uncommon belief. Believe it or not, i feel very much the same way. However i know i'm going to use steam more then most other applications on my computer and that its foot print is smaller then almost everything else my computer runs. It's in the top three apps i use easily.

But then again we're all different and gaming takes up different amounts of time for each of us. I might spent 4 hours a day gaming and you might spend 4 hours a week. Me spending 4 hours daily keeping steam running is a huge advantage as it keeps the games i want updated and ready (or not depending on what i've selected for that game). However you spending 4 hours a week gaming i can see why it wouldn't make as much sense leaving it running all week. That's a difficult point to argue since it's a personal preference. We might as well start arguing over which is better ketchup or mayonnaise on a burger.

Just because a person has a nice rig doesn't mean that they can or should just let programs run unchecked. I know that this post is somewhat contradicts my earlier posts but i think the conversation has somewhat changed from "why do some hate steam" to "lets argue over system resources" or better yet "why not leave steam running 24/7" .

I'm not sure if your getting irritated or not Gorb but it seems to me that you are taking this a bit more personal then it should be taken. People are different and we should be thankful that we are all different. That doesn't mean that if somebody doesn't leave steam running all week that they're wrong in some way, it just means that gaming takes up less priority in there life, which technically is a good thing.

However some had blamed steam for things that are not steams fault and those are the points i was trying to correct in my earlier posts. That and yeah since i leave it running 24/7 and was unaware that people have had issues where steam and/or workshop was actually at fault. So if they've been burned by real steam issues before and no longer trust the company's product then that's ok, there isn't anything wrong with that. You can't argue somebody's experiences since you weren't there and you didn't live through the pain of trying to get a refund or the frustration of not being able to play the game you literally just spent $60 for. I get that and i respect there choice, but lets not go overboard and turn this into a rage post.

I'm not taking anything personally; I even use emotes to dictate genuine emotions (because, as we know, the Internet's a bit of a pain for that).

People are different, but I'm allowed to argue against people who are stating something as a fact when - as you said - a lot of it is opinion-based. I even said to whoward that I wasn't debating with him, I was debating with someone else who'd already defined the limits of his (or her) computer system.

Can't argue with what you don't know, after all!

If the user has been burned by Steam, that's entirely fair. However, that's not the gist of the posts made. It was blanket complaining about Steam, backed up by isolated cases of "but look at what can go wrong", with an additional "yay pirated copies" line thrown in there.

Why do people hate Steam? Why do I argue against people saying they hate Steam? It invites counterarguments to those arguments, because if I can convince someone to not hate a piece of software that in no way deserved hatred (being a human emotion, meatbag :p), then it'll be better for that guy or gal.

Oh, definitely - but what about in 5 years time? 10 years time? 20 years? It's about the long-term, really (and as I said, MoO2, almost 20 years later, is still a game people fire up).

But if I have them on DVD, nobody can take them away. Steam can. Again, not realistic in the short-term, but what about 20 years?

Dismissing the possibility that Valve might not be around in 20 years isn't doom-saying, it's a fairly realistic concern in an industry that has seen the rise and fall of large companies in a short time span, over and over again.
Easy answer: in 20 years, if worst comes to worst, we'll be able to get the games in question just like we can do in the present with 20-year-old games. Legally or otherwise, there will always be people taking care of that. I can't think of any game which has actually been lost: you just have to know where to look. I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future.

As for companies "falling", they seldom actually do: they're most often absorbed by others. And something as huge and profitable as Steam wouldn't "fall" without anyone giving a damn about it.

Also, as it's already been said, let me stress optical discs don't normally last 20+ years.

On the other hand, it's a lot simpler to grab someone's mod off of civfanatics, unzip it, and dump it in my downloads folder to examine at my leisure.
I use Steam Workshop Downloader when there isn't a copy here. The website may disappear if Valve decides they want to shut it down, so it's not necessarily a permanent solution, but it works in a pinch.

In 20 years time you have no guarantee the disc you bought will still work. The fact that you still have discs that old that work is impressive in of itself.

Other than the fact that the disc might not work due to damages, there is the problem that it might not work on your current computer.

For example I am the proud owner of original copies of "Sim City 2000" and "Doom 2" in floppy disks.

Too bad my current computer does not have any floppy drives.

At the very least buying a digital version of a game means that it will virtually never become obsolete no matter how much computers will change in the future (or at any rate I really do hope so).

I use Steam Workshop Downloader when there isn't a copy here. The website may disappear if Valve decides they want to shut it down, so it's not necessarily a permanent solution, but it works in a pinch.
As i've said in another post to someone who advertised this site : it does not seem to work for me. You can't just consider this site an alternative to proper file hosting service like the mod database we have here on civfanatics.

Actually, if i was in a trolling mood, i would answer the OPs question with another one. Why do some hate civfanatics and refuse to upload their mods here? :sarcasm:

As i've said in another post to someone who advertised this site : it does not seem to work for me. You can't just consider this site an alternative to proper file hosting service like the mod database we have here on civfanatics.

I'm not sure i agree with that statement. Why can't he consider that a good alternative if it works for him? I'm not sure if your related (parent/child?) but to tell somebody that they can't consider something just because it doesn't work for you is a bit "all about me" isn't it? I'm sure when they created that site they stopped and said "lets make sure it works for bob". I'm also surprised that they didn't just bring it down immediately when they found out it didn't work for you. You should have them executed for the disrespect that they've shown you, it's horrendous. :sarcasm:

He was trying to give you an alternative and probably didn't read the other post and if he did maybe he forgot. To throw out the "As i've said in another post" as if we all clamor to read every post you write is again coming off like "it's all about me" and like we should already know everything you've written.

I'm sorry if this all comes off rude and disrespectful but you get what you give. You'll find in life that the message your trying to get across and the message received is entirely based on how you say it.

You obviously don't use steams workshop, but Nutty nor myself are telling you to. So i'm not sure why you would come in with a very self centered mentality and talk down to somebody simply because they tried to help.

I'm not sure i agree with that statement. Why can't he consider that a good alternative if it works for him? I'm not sure if your related (parent/child?) but to tell somebody that they can't consider something just because it doesn't work for you is a bit "all about me" isn't it? I'm sure when they created that site they stopped and said "lets make sure it works for bob". I'm also surprised that they didn't just bring it down immediately when they found out it didn't work for you. You should have them executed for the disrespect that they've shown you, it's horrendous. :sarcasm:
Executed, sure not. It's wayy too forgiving. Let's have them cut into pieces alive, eaten by siege worms and end up as xenomass under an alien nest mouhahaha :D

Mt point was that it does not work for everyone. If it works for some, good for them, but there are people who can't use it so modders who want to have their mods available to as many players as possible can't rely on it as a "workshop alternative" unlike proper hosting like the database here. I can hardly believe i would be the only person on earth who can't use the site (with Firefox and Windows 8 no strange OS/Browser combination)

Sorry if my post sounded rude it was probably too short / written in a hurry.

EDIT : also, in that other post the person who linked this site did not even try to explain or anything. He just spit the link like it was the ultimate answer to everyone who don't like the workshop subscription and it wasn't even worth discussing. That's why when i saw that link posted here i quickly (too quickly) posted a warning that it's not the ultimate answer.

Top Bottom