1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does Firaxis not represent any Dravidian people

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by jamesluck, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Savoir10

Savoir10 Warlord

That's it. You've clearly lost the debate and you resort to slagging off my country. LOL. And what a hurtful and cutting remark. I'll probably never recover from it.

2. Dale

Dale Deity

At least Australia exists as a separate and recognised nation today. ;)

3. Lobox

Lobox Sweden

I prefer Firefox instead of IE.
    I'm not neglecting Dravidian achievements I just don't care about them.

4. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

Oh man, before I clicked on it, I thought this was another joke thread, but apparently it's not.

Sorry OP, the group doesn't recognize different ethnicities, it represents nations, and your nation is already in.

5. jamesluck

jamesluck Chieftain

We have also a recognised nation, which is INDIA. We don't believe, that language should separate countries. We believe, that the languages should be protected and that they should flourish. So Dravidians use their language in their respective states, which is quite natural. Tamils use Tamil in Tamil Nadu state. Kannadigas use Kannada in Karnataka.

Tamils in Sri Lanka should have got a separate nation, because the Dravidian language was neglected by the then Sri Lankan government. But this has changed, when Tamil was given official language status in Sri Lanka. So it is also their country. It's only the mistrust which separates the ethnicities there.

IE and Dravidians live in peace together in South Asia. And if South India wants to be a separate nation (but no resolution was passed in our parliaments), we get it. But we don't want India to be separated between North and South. In the end, we are the same race, the great Indian race.

6. Dale

Dale Deity

Exactly. You're already represented in Civ5.

MOD CLOSE THIS THREAD PLEASE! :)

7. jamesluck

jamesluck Chieftain

The status quo is lame. India constitutes of 1 billion people with vast differences in cultures. It's like European Union, not like China.

8. Iván de España

Iván de España Chieftain

Maybe the programmers make expansions for regions and, so, they could include the Dravidians. I would like it. :)

9. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

Umm no. There's so many more civilizations that should and would make it in before the Dravidians. Dravidians are part of the Indian civilization! Considering how limited slots are for civilizations, it makes no sense to create a distinct civilization for them just because they have a different culture. Nobody is suggesting African Americans should get a distinct civilization because they have a different culture than white Americans.

10. Iván de España

Iván de España Chieftain

I mean an expansion named "Far East" with civilizations of this area and scenarios located in this region.

11. Sabretou

Sabretou Warlord

Bad analogy. India is still a sovereign republic, which the European Union isn't. China is.

@Jamesluck: I'm Marathi, so I don't identify with your Dravidian chauvinism et al, but Dravidians are represented in India, and that's all there is to it. Their contributions were complemented by the Aryans, and the assimilation would result in the Indian civilization as such. Quit trolling about it already.

12. Mannu

Mannu Warlord

Me too. But he's taking it so far that I've come full circle and I think he actually is joking again.

13. Yakk

Yakk Cheftan

Civ5 remains Euro-centric. This is because the Europeans are still rich compared to the rest of the world, and they want money for the game they are producing. Plus, in the last few centuries, Europeans have been relatively dominate in global power politics: and it is easier to pay attention to that.

Egypt and Greece are pretty much only in Civ5 because it is a Euro-centric game. They are two of the "mysterious ancient civilizations" from the perspective of European history. This is less true of ancient Greece, because it was both a near-mythical ancient civilization, and the source of much knowledge that catapulted Europe out of the dark ages: but even there, the influences of great empires are only included for Europe.

The rest of the world ends up being mainly contemporary, because, once again, the Euro-centric nature of the civilization game. There has been increased inclusion of some nations for commercial reasons (Korea, for example, because S. Koreans buy lots of games), and others for geographical reasons (Aztecs and Inca, and sometimes Native Americans, because a world map without them is pretty empty).

In this case, the ancient civilization happens to share a common location with a modern civilization: so there is no gaping hole in the map. And, as an influencing society for a modern non-European civilization, it doesn't get the leg up that Egypt did.

14. cephalo

cephalo Deity

Personally, I don't mind it at all if Firaxis throws something my way that I am unfamiliar. I don't know anything about Dravidians, and now I'm curious. If Dravidians somehow made it into Civ5 that would be the first Civ I would play, mainly because its new to me.

15. King Kalmah

King Kalmah Magyar Madness

I really see no issue with having Dravidians in the game.In fact every culture/nation SHOULD be in.I'm tired of this 18 civ garbage....

Also much respect with the knowledge of Finno Ulgric langauges....so true...

I hope one day to learn Hungarian.

16. bjbrains

bjbrains Man of U-235

Yet another "I feel my people are important, ergo they should be in Civ 5" thread. And stop using terms like "chauvinist" to describe those who disagree with you. By the way, a key reason why the Indus Valley civilization shouldn't be included: It's a part of India, in the same way that the Mughal, British, and various other ruling dynasties are put under India. And we don't know enough about the Indus people to assign, say, a UU and a leader/traits anyway.

17. Rexflex

Rexflex Prince

I have a game that lists over 300 historic cultures in it and it still doesn't nearly cover everything. It would take a lot of work to polish just one civilization up for Civ5. We have to be real and accept that some people's favorites are just not going to be covered in the game - even with expansion packs.

18. phungus420

phungus420 Deity

The Dravidian's suck, they are just a part of the India anyway. Now Malta, the Great Maltese Kingdom really deserves to be in civ4, without question:

Seriously the great Maltese nation has a long and impressive history that extends back beyond the days of the Roman Empire. The Maltese people have made some important cultural contributions to the world in art, and religion, and the nation itself has been an important strategic location in many wars stretching from world war2 till ancient times! I mean it makes more sense to include Malta then Germany, Germany wasn't created until the 19th century, and is really just an extension of Prussia and Austria! Plus the Maltese people can trace their heritage all the way back to Africa over 200,000 years ago. Malta is more deserving of a place in civilization then alot of the already announced civs for civilization5, and really needs to be included.

19. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

If you want to have any credibility, when asking for a change, then start a change yourself, and for example do not fall into american wrong standards like abbreviating everything. IE at best can mean Internet Explorer, certainly not Indoeuropean. The essence of communication is to transfer/exchange your thoughts with other people, the essence of american communication is to produce noise or waste bytes or paper by communicating nothing. A typical american sentence is GTFO STFU, the biggest cities in America are NYC and LA, and the country is called USA.
    All this just to say that if you write Indoeuropean as IE, you are not entitled to ask for the inclusion of a Dravidian civilization. You follow the american steretypes yet pretend they themselves not do it ? Firaxis is american and will only include stereotypes in their game beacuse their game is a tool to allow americans to play with civilizations, not a tool to let them learn more about them (are we kidding ?). For example the americans must not know that Dravidians aren't the same as Indians, that Italians aren't Romans, that the Italian language isn't the closest grammatically to Latin, that Latin isn't the official language of Vatican and all that, they would be overwhelmed by too many new informations. So when they think of the Indian peninsula, they can only think of one civilization, that being India. Why ? Because that's easy. If it's the Indian pensinsula, it must be the Indian civilization, that's obvious. When they think of the Italian peninsula, they think of one civilization, that being the Roman one. Why ? By the previous logic Italian would be easier. But Americans have contorted logics. Because the American civilization is the modern version of the Roman one (probably more so than the Italian civilization), they have things in common, and they have nothing in common with Italians, so these are scrapped and considered a lowly civilization that never won a war, while the Romans... boy, they won and conquered so much, killed, deported, enslaved, vassalized, stole so much from other civilizations, that they are INDEED worth a lot more. Oh, and by the way, the Romans were good. When they declared war to the Gauls and steamrolled them, it was to defend Massilia (Marseilles). Reminds me of when the USA stepped in to defend Kuwait. But I digress...: Dravidians and Italians aren't good for an american game. Period.

20. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

now i want a malta goya.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.