Why does Hannibal hate me so much :( ?

Squonk

Deity
OK. So I suck at Civ4, still I like to play it (at king level, lower levels are too easy). My current game is as Frederick (renamed Qurqur). I advanced marvelously early in the game, but sort of stalled later on. But that's not what troubles me.

What troubles me is that I am at the important part of my game when macemen and knight appear. I can't make the transition peacefully because of my Hannibal neighbour. One of my cities is located right at their border (6 spots or so from his capital). We never had a war, he's only "cautious" towards me (which is the best I can get, as I am the sole un-buddhist player. I'd convert to buddhism just for everyone to like me, but I can't). So Hannibal wants to attack me, for no apparent reason, even though I give him money, we trade resources nicely etc. But what makes is strange is that the same turn he attacks me he becomes vassal of mighty Arabs, who have also other civs as their minions. I simply can not afford a war agains dozens of camel archers at this point, while being at war with Hannibal as well.

Why does he do it? If he feels strong enough to attack me, why does he feel so afraid of losing that he asks some other civ for protection?

What can I do to make him not attack me? I have no techs I could give, and little money.

Why can't you become Buddhist? Can't you just click the button, even if you have no Buddhist cities?

post a save... I'd recommend adopting his favorite civic but I think it is Free Market, and you probably aren't at Economics yet.

oh...what is "king" level?

If you can't become Buddhist, forgoing religion altogether is better than adopting a heathen religion unless you have the muscle to back it up.

@lymond: He probably means monarch. I'm sure that's the literal translation from the Polish version of the game.

Style points if you use espionage to force one of your neighbors to switch to a "heathen" religion then start a dogpile against them. Not always the best strategy, but certainly one of the most satisfying.

Thank you for comments.

Yup, it's "monarch". I've said "king" as it was the name in Civ2

I have no buddhist city. If I click buddhist icon, nothing happens.

Honestly, it's very strange that entire world converted to buddhism but me. It's the only time I've seen such a thing.

No, no free market.

itg, thank you for your advise. I'll try that.

I will post a save soon.

you can use espionage like this? hm I thought you can only use it to destroy improvements. Anyway, I don't have espionage yet.

Did you click the Buddhist icon and then click "Convert" at the bottom?

^ If you don't have a city with a particular religion you cannot convert to that religion - there is no convert button, instead the religion screen says "cannot convert to whatever-ism"

Correct - you can't convert to a religion if you don't have a city with that religion, the game doesn't let you.

Well, switching religion to none did work - Hannibal attacked me anyway, but at least it didn't ask Saladin for help.

Still, this is a strange game. Never did I have such a great advantage early in the game and fall so low later on. Guys have been exchanging techs a lot, and I was lost behind. I must reload and try again. Damn.

Well, switching religion to none did work - Hannibal attacked me anyway, but at least it didn't ask Saladin for help.

Still, this is a strange game. Never did I have such a great advantage early in the game and fall so low later on. Guys have been exchanging techs a lot, and I was lost behind. I must reload and try again. Damn.

Consider turning off tech brokering? That does limit the AI trading a lot. Slows down global tech rate.

That is one thing I am really exciting about in CivV no more tech trading and no more religion

If you're really exciting (and female), consider posting a pic or two. As to the so called improvements, I have to say I'm really skeptic about Civ 5. I won't buy it until the first or second expansions have been made or I might not even buy it at all.

Top Bottom