Why don't us few CFC SMAC lovers collaborate on a dedicated SMAC forum?

We tried to play a SMACX TCP/IP game yesterday but got stuck at the start: Nobody could join the host and we each attemped to be host.

Any thread here showing a succesful TCP/IP game, that I could refer to, to see how they did it.

I had done enough background reading through the archives to conclude that initiative was dead, but missed the SMAC Chronicles until yesterday! Too bad they are prejudice against Macs!

They're not prejudice against Macs. Aspyr (the real villain) never released a SDK for the Mac.

Till, what is the status of Centauri Preserve? I got an error that my browser couldn't find the server.

Till,

What is happening to Centauri Preserve?

Apologies for the late reply.

The hard drive, on which the site was stored, is broken. I do have some partial backups, but i suspect quite a lot has been lost. What's more, the server refuses to work, even with a new harddrive. I fear it is gone for good.

I might eventually get a new server up and running ( i have enough parts available for another, albeit slower, one), but then there is the problem of stitching the site back together from what backups i have.

I'm currently not excited about spending my free time with this sort of work, especially since the forum wasn't exactly bursting with activity to begin with.
If somebody else wants to have a go, i'd be happy to upload what i have left of the forum. Otherwise it might take a while until i get to it.

They’re not prejudice against Macs. Aspyr (the real villain) never released a SDK for the Mac.

The civ4smac folks are just using the expediant tools and are volunteers, so I cannot really blame them. My understanding (which is admittedly shallow) is that incompatibility follows from the dependance on certain DLL files, not so much the SDK (otherwise, there would be no crossplatform mods at all). With BtS (Windows only) recently added as a dependancy, hope for AC2 becomes even more faint a hope for us Unix users.

What I know of the process comes only from reading Brad Oliver’s blog, but I definately do not blame Aspyr. They are mostly just a porting house. (Do they offer any original titles?) Aspyr ports what they are paid to port. Firaxis has not even paid Aspry to port all the Civ3 editions! Do you think the Civ4 SDK is even on their radar?

No, the real villain is Firaxis. Like the majority of game studios, they are either too lazy or too incompetent to develop using a crossplatform methodolgy. Not like some folks. Have you seen the screenshots? Star Craft II looks great and I bet it ships on a hybrid disc from day one!

me too

Actually, I'd really like that. It'd be easier than coming to both here and Apolyton's somewhat dead SMAC sections. We could split it into more, too. SMAC Discussion, SMAC Strategy, SMAC Modification & Creation, SMAC2 Speculation and a proper home for the Civ4-->SMAC mod. And have a main site to post 'news', and coverage of Firaxis. Also, to get to the bottom of who has the rights to the sequel.

Firaxis are working on Civ4 Revolutions atm, and SMAC2 is the most popular of their options [Civ5 is too soon, and the Civ4 engine is still ripe]. There's an Ask Sid question from a few years back where he hints...

Get this forum up! :D

Top Bottom