Why don't us few CFC SMAC lovers collaborate on a dedicated SMAC forum?

http://z8.invisionfree.com/Centauri_Preserve/index.php?act=idx Tadaa! As you've probably noticed, I've used a healthy minimium of subforums, they probably wouldnt get used at first, but when their's a sizable amount of people...

Nice job guys. I have been a lurker here for a while.

I prefer it to stay here and on apolyton, purely because I am a smac and civ fan like many others.

Apolyton has quite a big area for smac fiction and other stuff too.

Nice job guys. I have been a lurker here for a while.

I prefer it to stay here on apolyton, purely because I am a smac and civ fan like many others.

Apolyton has quite a big area for smac fiction and other stuff too.

So does here. Stop talking about apolyton :p (I've never been able to find my way onto the forums over there :S)

sorry it was a typo, I meant to say stay here AND on apolyton. I have corrected it now.

I have been on so many dedicated smac forums and they just tend to melt away like snowflakes along with their juicy goodness.

Miles Teg said:
Pasi Nurminen: How's the cost in relation to your pockets?

Depends. If the base cost per year is just a hundred or so, I can swing it no problems. I doubt bandwith would cost much at first, but sooner or later I'd have to, along with a few willing others, split up the cost of bandwith. Do you guys have any ideas on where to host it?

ITill said:
've successfully installed phpbb, installed some mods and edited templates in the past. I could also provide a webserver running Apache, PHP and MySQL and any other software me might require. It wouldn't be very fast to access, but it'd be free.

I will PM you so we can discuss this.

Also, does anyone think I could be a moderator on the forum? I did come up with the idea.

The Centauri Preserve
Would definitely be a good name!

I totally missed this thread when I checked in last. As I've been fighting some very uncooperative hardware (and thinking about my grim looking future as a computer game player unless I get an older computer within a year or so) I found myself thinking more and more about SMAC, totally nostalgic, not daring to wish for a SMAC 2.

I love CIV, I've liked every version I've played, but SMAC was like the ultimate experience. I've even dreamed SMAC-related dreams, and seeing Brian Reynolds vision of the "new world" come to life with the beloved voice overs and even better graphics would be like dream come true!

Conclusion: I'd welcome a dedicated SMAC site with forums and all, and I'd be able to contribute in time when I get that older computer and before that as an active poster.

I doubt I have any adequate skills to contribute to the technical side of it all, because I'll know that might be of use is some low maintenance SQL-scripting.

I forgot about this thread until Pasi wrote me a PM. Bellow is an (ad free) forum i set up for your review. It obviously needs a lot more work, but since another already exists, i hesitate to invest it. Feel free to check it out:
Centauri Preserve
No matter forum we decide upon, we should start a collection of Alpha Centauri related downloads. I volunteer to host it (i have quite a lot of webspace), but download speed will be limited.

I submit that we go with Till's work.

As for files, I have many maps and custom factions, though most of the custom factions are from the now defunct networknode.org. I could upload them to help it along.

Well, hold your horses. I assume that it's just a test forum at this point.

When I tried to register, I received this message.

Failed sending email :: PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 234
File : emailer.php

Huh same problem I got. Anyways your probably write about that,I'm just the impatient sort (How would this idea have turned out if I looked at the last post date?) I might add that I have a collection of faction files floating around my hard drive. some with semi-appropriate graphics.

P.S. Whats with the dolly theme anyways?

I can log in now, and have posted a couple of times. We're well on our way!

There are still a couple of technical issues, which i need to iron out. The forum emailer is one of them. But you should be able to register and log in regardless. Hopefully, i'll have time to deal with the issues during the weekend.
Links weren't marked in a useful way before, but now the link to the wiki should be visible, if you check the thread again.
Please don't hesitate to post/pm me any technical problems you encounter! As Pasi wrote, this i mainly a test forum at this point. That doesn't mean it isn't usable, but i don't expect it to work flawlessly yet.

Great idea. I love SMAC and everything about SMAC, but the lack of a solid community and help with extra files and community made stuff has led me away from it.

Registered and posted. :)

I'm hoping someone with some database links will start adding.

Top Bottom