Why is Basil II separate from Rome, but Kublai rules over China?

Despite I believe Basil should be alt leader of Rome, I don't think Chinese was made wrong. Kublai Khan become China ruler and don't make sense do Yuan Dinasty in Civilization.

By the way, I'm completely against deblobed of China. China was united for culture hegemony, it can broke in various states but will always ressemble as one United China again and again. Even if a foregner power invades china, as Kublai Khan did, they will become a Chinese.

That's a really interesting discussion. I am not very familiar with the history of Rome and Byzantine but I think I can provide some explanations on why most Chinese will consider Qin and Yuan the same country or civ. Actually the Chinese meaning of "China" is "Middle Kindom" or "Central Kindom". So the meaning in history at first only represents the location information. Without enough geographic information in ancient years, it is natural for ancient Chinese to assume "we" lived in the "center" of the earth. Also, in long history, compared with the countries nearby, ancient China was so strong and in ancient Chinese culture, "middle" or "central" has the meaning of "honorable", therefore, when meeting envoys coming from other countries, the rulers would call themselves the ruler of "Central Kindom" instead of ruler of "Qin Country" or "Yuan Country". Over years, though dynasties change, the concept of "Central Kindom" remained the same. Nowadays, it is obvious that China doesn't locate at the center of the earth but this concept is used so long that every Chinese is familiar with the ideas of "Central Kindom" so it's natural to keep this as a name in order to avoid unnecessary conflicts.

The other important thing is Chinese people value the idea "unite" most. Reason to that is "separation" always means the endless war in ancient Chinese history so those normal Chinese people actually won't care much about who is the ruler but will have the desire to live in an united country. This also leads to the fact that those leaders who reunite the "Central Kindom" having high reputation in Chinese history. (Like Qin Shi Huang) So if we look from the perspectives of normal Chinese citizens, they tend to not distinguish Qin and Yuan, but considering them the same "united" country. Also, I think someone mentioned previously is Chinese civ always united again after some temporary splits. And I think that's not the case here when talking about Rome and Byzantine. United States also once divided into two "countries", "union" and "confederacy", but will people consider US before civil war and after civil war two countries? I don't think so. However, if the history changed to the situation that US ultimately broke into two parts, then in this case, probably people would state that US and "confederacy" two countries even "confederacy" admit they came from US. I think the idea is similar to Rome and Byzantine.

BTW, Chinese political environment isn't that complicated actually. The reason why Tibet is sensitive is because nowadays we still use the name Tibet and there will be confusions. However, similar to ancient Tibet, Khitay (in Chinese, Liao dynasty) was also another country thrived during Song dynasty, and I think it will be pretty safe to introduce Khitay into the game.

In a game which is (by nature) limited to a very small number of civs, it would be downright criminal to start breaking down perfectly reasonable civilizations (yes, China is a perfectly reasonable civilization) into their sub-component while ignoring vast swathes of the world that don't get civilizations at all.

Also, a civilization is not the same as a political state, and what the game has is civilizations, not States. Some civilizations never formed states; some states were never civilizations or were in fact part of a broader civilization. The daft idea of deblobbing Germany and the Holy Roman Empire (which was a German state) ; the equally daft idea that because they were politically independent the Italian City States should be represented each as their own civilization rather than having one Italian Civilization representing Medieval-Renaissance-Modern Italy are the result of that false equivalency between state and civilization).

In the same way, just because a political state is the legitimate political continuation of another, doesn't mean that in terms of civilization they are one and the same. In a lot of ways, in terms of civilization (which have more to do with culture, language and geography than political continuity), Byzantium was a continuation of *Greek* civilization (and that's a good thing), even while being the political continuation of the Roman Empire.

Is that kind of duality, combined with the long existence of Byzantium itself, enough to call for a separate civilization? To me, it's borderline. Yes, Byzantium was a mix of Greek and Roman, that existed on its own for a millenia; these are strong factor to consider it its own separate thing. On the other hand, both politically and culturally, it was a continuation of two groups that already exist in the game. At the end of the day, we could have or not have Byzantium, and I'd be okay either way.

Not so with China. There's no duality here: there's wide amount of cultural (with foreign influence), linguistic and geographic continuity between the various Chinese dynasties, and political continuity too. Even the period of foreign dynasties largely consisted of conquerors trying to work with Chinese culture and political continuity, rather than trying to change Chinese culture. The Manchu and Tibetans (they were linguistically, culturally, geographically and mostly politically distinct) would be valid choices to add, but there we have to contend with Chinese political sensibilities (sadly) and market access.

India could be broken up, but Maurya vs Modern India is probably not the best way to do it (Mughal just might work, but even that is iffy) - that again is more political distinction than civilization one. Including a civilization representing Southern India, which was always distinct from the succession of empires in the North, probably make more sense.

Arabia can likewise be broken up. Persians and Turks already have their own separate existence, and Berbers should be their own civilization out west as well (m ore so than Morocco or Al-Andalus, which are more political states, not civilizations), They were part of the Arabian empire at its height (like Persia), but they resumed their independence fairly quickly .

I actually like the idea of showing the "other half" of modern nation-states as a compromise between having very large, contiguous civs while still trying not to fall into overgeneralized representation. Especially since so much of the map can be comfortably covered by a small number of very large nations (America, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, India, China, Australia, Arabia, Persia, Rome, Mongolia...maybe add Britain, Spain, Norse/Danes and the HRE).

Many of them actually do nicely bisect into two "civs." As far as I am concerned, if we can have:

* Greece/Persia (and Macedon)
* Rome (and Byzantium)
* Canada (and the Cree)
* America (and the Shoshone)

And to a lesser extent other "split-off civs":

* Arabia (and Morocco)
* Egypt (and Nubia)
* Sumeria (and Babylon/Assyria)
* England (and a very British Scotland)
* France (and Gaul)
* Germany (and Austria/Netherlands)
* Spain (and Portugal)
* Aztec (and Maya) (a kind of soft substitute for "Mexico" and Maya; and I could see a case for a Mexico civ incorporating Aztec elements in the same way we have Oromo or Berber cavalry)
* Australia (and the Maori) (probably the biggest stretch but the Maori are kind of the best adjacent substitute we have for an aboriginal civ that actually has a large tribal population and land)

Then I think it would be wholly consistent with this general design philosophy of "big guy, small guy" to include:

* India (and Chola) (southern India was quite separate from northern India for most of history)
* China (and Tibet) (the Tibetan plateau was quite separate from China for most of history)
* Russia (and Siberia/Sakha) (same principle but for eastern Russia)
* Brazil (and the Tupi-Guarani) (same, but for inland Brazil)
* Norse/Danes (and the Inuit/Greenland)
* Mongolia (and the Timurids) (okay I'm stretching a bit here but it almost works)
* Oman (and Swahili/Zanzibar) (by far the most ambitious proposal since we don't even have Oman in the game yet)

In the grand scheme of things it's a pretty small list of proposed additions, but they all just very comfortably fall into a similar design philosophy as the rest of Civ VI and would contribute to a bigger sense of cohesion (along with probably substitutes for Civ V civs like Numidia replacing Morocco and Navajo/Cherokee replacing the Shoshone; although either civ could return and be just as elegant).

therefore, when meeting envoys coming from other countries, the rulers would call themselves the ruler of "Central Kindom" instead of ruler of "Qin Country" or "Yuan Country". Over years, though dynasties change, the concept of "Central Kindom" remained the same.
Actually, they did call themselves the "Qin Country", the "Ming Country"and so on. Look up the text of the Tang-Tibetan Treaty. It's all 大唐 this and 大唐 that, not even oblique references to any Central KIngdoms. Similarly, even when encountering the western world when not calling them "China", there are plenty of texts which call the place Celestial Kingdom and Chinese (or any sufficiently Sinitic folks) as Celestials.

Central Kingdom/中国 was usually the modern Central Plains. It was certainly seen as an important place as the origin point but it was certainly not "China" to them. The shift from that to modern country name started happening during late QIng dynasty and wasn't really complete until, certain someone named their country Republic of 中国 or 華. There was also one more understanding of the term that developed circa Ming and later and that was what we today call the Sinosphere. As in the whole civilisation. Details like these are why modern Vietnam has the identity crisis it has, why both Korea and Vietnam had no qualms calling themselves Han without a shred of irony or insanity on the part of the writer.

* China (and Tibet) (the Tibetan plateau was quite separate from China for most of history)
I mean, if you're going to do these states then China and Vietnam are much closer to the other examples than China and Tibet.
Tibet really was its own thing. If anything, you'd sooner find luck with Tibet and Nepal or something more along those lines.

I mean, if you're going to do these states then China and Vietnam are much closer to the other examples than China and Tibet.
Tibet really was its own thing. If anything, you'd sooner find luck with Tibet and Nepal or something more along those lines.
I agree with you. I think the idea is more or less the "small guys" like Vietnam play off of both China and Khmer. The Khmer being the main influence over what most of mainland SEA is today, and of course China having the most influence on Vietnam.

Obviously it's not as set in stone that it's only one like in the case of even Georgia or the Mapuche. The Mapuche play off of both Spain and Inca while Georgia can be at least the Byzantines/Ottomans and Russia.

Siam/ Thailand: TRIGGERED! :mad::mad::mad:
Well a lot of Siam/Thailand culture was influenced by the Khmer in the Medieval period, considering they controlled most of SEA at that time, including most of Thailand today.
Besides since we are talking about Civ 6 Siam isn't in the game, so there was no need for me to mention them. :p

Many civilizations have a focus on a very small timeline of history while the game covers 6000 years, in other cases they try to represent various part of a civilization history but it can end up in a mess. Like the Greek civilization is just focused on classical greece and thats it even though greek civilizations have covers a much greater timespan than the few hundred years the civilization try to represent.

Germany is another case, except here the leader, unique district and unique infrastructure try to represent various periods of german history, again telling the limitation of the system of how civilizations are potrayed.

If you merge Rome and Byzantium you end up with a civilization that can either represent what current Roman civ represent or what current Byzantium represent. The last option would be some sort of mix like Germany.

Another option, which would not happen in Civ VI is to try to make the civilizations representing their whole history, from the 6000 years the game covers, which may be hard and also would require more effort per civ. Maybe creating a system of semi unique units and infrastructure, which can be shared between multiple civs, so for example Greeks and Roman could share a medieval set of units and infrastructure but be different in classical to represent the Byzantium era.

Last edited:
In fairness, I never claimed I was making an original point! (but I appreciate the snark :p)
My point was that following the logic of your other comments, China should be split up in this game for those very same reasons.

Yeah apologies for the tone, it's just I constantly see people make that point about the term 'Byzantine', and I think they give it far more importance than it is due.

Also, I don't think I made any comments in this thread prior to that, so that was someone else you responded to. Splitting China up is a slightly different matter in my opinion, as the main Chinese dynasties (the ones in the periods when China was united) ruled over broadly the same core territory, and had a greater degree of cultural continuity. It gets complicated for sure though, with dynasties of foreign origin like Manchus and Mongols, and long periods of disunity also.

Regardless, whether or not China should be split more (or India, or any other region), in the case of the Western and Eastern Romans, it makes sense to split what are, in every important way, two distinct empires.

We have the Prussians with U-Boats and Eleanor leading England.

Prussians? Maybe I'm being dense, but I'm confused here as Frederick Barbarossa is hardly Prussian.

Last edited:
It seems alot more resonable to split civs like India and China rather than combining civs like Rome and Byzantines. I suspect if we used Indian/China blob logic, europe should be like Rome, a germanic civ for scandinavia and much of centeral europe and a slavic civ for Russia and much of eastern Europe.

Its the only way a TSL world map works

Yeah pologies for the tone, it's just I constantly see people make that point about the term 'Byzantine', and I think they give it far more importance than it is due.

Also, I don't think I made any comments in this thread prior to that, so that was someone else you responded to. Splitting China up is a slightly different matter in my opinion, as the main Chinese dynasties (the ones in the periods when China was united) ruled over broadly the same core territory, and had a greater degree of cultural continuity. It gets complicated for sure though, with dynasties of foreign origin like Manchus and Mongols, and long periods of disunity also.

Regardless, whether or not China should be split more (or India, or any other region), in the case of the Western and Eastern Romans, it makes sense to split what are, in every important way, two distinct empires.

Prussians? Maybe I'm being dense, but I'm confused here as Frederick Barbarossa is hardly Prussian.

He is not. He is so not.

No Frederick is not Prussian, but we do have the iron cross as Germany's icon. There's a lot of Teutonic overlap between Prussia and Germany, and that's definitely evident in Germany's design.

Everyone's talking about historical or geo-political aspects of Basil and the decision to make him leader of the Byzantines.

It comes down to one salient point: gameplay.

Having Basil as a dual-leader for Rome doesn't fit the 'role' or gameplay style of Rome just as someone else pointed out that Alexander doesn't fit Greece.

People need to stop treating Civ like a historical simulator or visa versa demanding that Civ re-affirm their historical beliefs. Civ is a game -- always has been -- just as America didn't exist in 4000BC neither should you look at Basil being the Emperor of the Byzantines as a commentary on Firaxis' part on the continuity of the Roman empire. This is all historical minutia that is completely and utterly irrelevant to a turn-based Smash Bros that is Sid Meier's Civilization.

If you want historical accuracy (I use the term loosely) go play Crusader Kings.

Everyone's talking about historical or geo-political aspects of Basil and the decision to make him leader of the Byzantines.

Having Basil as a dual-leader for Rome doesn't fit the 'role' or gameplay style of Rome just as someone else pointed out that Alexander doesn't fit Greece.

People need to stop treating Civ like a historical simulator or visa versa demanding that Civ re-affirm their historical beliefs. Civ is a game -- always has been -- just as America didn't exist in 4000BC neither should you look at Basil being the Emperor of the Byzantines as a commentary on Firaxis' part on the continuity of the Roman empire.

Yes, but in a historically-inspired strategy game like Civ, those gameplay design choices are informed by Firaxis’ interpretation of history!

This is why the base game had Trajan lead a purely imperial Roman civ, and we had to wait five more years for the Byzantine Empire to be represented as a completely separate civ. Whereas the vanilla Indian civ featured classical-period stepwells and war elephants alongside the very modern Gandhi, or the Chinese civ had Qin Shi Huang commanding Ming-dynasty cannons.

There are many possible ways such long-lasting empires can be portrayed, even in this absurd fantasy battleground of a video game. So these arguments are not irrelevant!

Last edited:

I did consider listing Vietnam instead of or alongside Tibet. The concept still works though if we are lumping China alongside other very large modern powers like the US, Canada, Brazil, Russia, and India, then Tibet aligns much better with the Shoshone, Cree, Tupi, Siberia/Sakha, or Chola. Yeah we we could draw different parallels with Australia/Maori, Russia/Georgia, but there are fewer of them and I think when dealing with a large territory we would rather have a civ inside the borders rather than outside.

I agree with you. I think the idea is more or less the "small guys" like Vietnam play off of both China and Khmer. The Khmer being the main influence over what most of mainland SEA is today, and of course China having the most influence on Vietnam.

Obviously it's not as set in stone that it's only one like in the case of even Georgia or the Mapuche. The Mapuche play off of both Spain and Inca while Georgia can be at least the Byzantines/Ottomans and Russia.

Yes, most of the remaining civs I didn't mention like Korea, Vietnam, Mapuche, Georgia, Poland...they don't really match with the rest of the model and either exist in relative cultural isolation, or are typically pitted against multiple larger powers. But outside of these, I still think the trend of "big guy, little guy" pairs is pretty strong.

People need to stop treating Civ like a historical simulator or visa versa demanding that Civ re-affirm their historical beliefs. Civ is a game -- always has been -- just as America didn't exist in 4000BC neither should you look at Basil being the Emperor of the Byzantines as a commentary on Firaxis' part on the continuity of the Roman empire. This is all historical minutia that is completely and utterly irrelevant to a turn-based Smash Bros that is Sid Meier's Civilization.

If you want historical accuracy (I use the term loosely) go play Crusader Kings.

Problem is, this idea of "how Byzantium should play" as different from Rome is pretty much eurocentric exceptionalism. China, India, Persia, Arabia, and Egypt all lasted for just as long, and underwent just as many radical regime changes. We would not expect the Maurya to play like India or the Mughals, nor the Achaemenids to play like the Sassanids or Safavids, nor the Qin to play like the Ming, Tang, Yuan, or Qing.

The distinction is quite arbitrary from a global perspective, and I would have much preferred if we had some universal consistency like lumping Byzantium into Rome and Macedon back into Greece like we do every other region of the world with long cultural and political continua.

I think it's it's amusing how when everytime this subjects gets brought it turns into a huge debate. I am not an expert in history (as a matter of fact, got only got in the subject recently through playing Civ VI) but I am learning that there are a lot of cultural overlap and politically disputable claims. This topic cannot be isolated from nationalism and political correctness because all of human history is about tribalism (a.k.a. in-groups and out-groups).

United States also once divided into two "countries", "union" and "confederacy", but will people consider US before civil war and after civil war two countries? I don't think so. However, if the history changed to the situation that US ultimately broke into two parts, then in this case, probably people would state that US and "confederacy" two countries even "confederacy" admit they came from US. I think the idea is similar to Rome and Byzantine.

That's an interesting example. I think there is no doubt that had the Confederacy been successful they'd be considered a new and different country. But, had they been successful I would absolutely consider the northern states to be the same United States 'civ' they were before the Civil War. Diminished in territory and character/economy changed, but a direct continuation of the nation that began in 1776 (or 1789 if you prefer). I'd consider it the same as with the 'Byzantine Empire'. If 300 years from now there were enough Spanish speaking immigrants/descendants that the United States adopted Spanish as its official language I wouldn't consider it to magically become a new nation either. If the Constitution remained in force and the political institutions continued in an unbroken line of succession/progression I'd consider it the same nation.

This is almost certainly one of those interesting topics that will reappear once in a while and I think it's fascinating to see where people stand on this and why they do.

While I understand that there is more nuance in this than "The Byzantines/later Romans were exactly the same as the classical Romans" (especially with how much would be expected to change over the course of an additional 1,000+ years), I can't help but to still entirely disagree with the posters who've made claims that the Byzantines were absolutely not Romans, that the Byzantines have about as much of a claim to being Roman as the Ottomans, Russians, Holy Roman Empire, or implying that the split between the East and West that was done for administrative ease was also done to separate who was Roman and who wasn't. I would think that it's possible to acknowledge the Byzantines as the medieval continuation of the Roman Empire while as wanting to have the Byzantines as their own playable faction for the sake of fun.

Overall, I'm on the fence with this topic.

On one hand, apart from Greece and Macedonia, you could probably make a better case to put the Byzantines and Romans together under one civ than any other two civs that we currently have to work. It certainly wouldn't be much of a blob anywhere near the level of the more questionable ones such as the Celts, Native Americans, etc. Using alt leaders could work well especially if you increased the number of UU, UI, UB, and UD a civ can have so that you can really see the transition between the classical and medieval eras. Or if the game does return to having only a single leader per civ, that one leader could work if it was a leader that could gel well with the themes of both eras such as the aforementioned Justinian, Constantine, perhaps Aurelian, etc.

On the other hand, there are plenty of reasons to want a playable solely Byzantine era faction regardless. Even though the Byzantines were a legitimate continuation of the Roman Empire into the medieval era, there are enough differences that can warrant a distinct civ with fun gameplay (I don't doubt that this can be true for many other civilizations that lasted a long time as well even though the Byzantines are probably the most popular example of this to western audiences). This is especially true to those who are more interested in that time period (thanks CK3) and those who are currently concerned that playing a Roman civ into the medieval era has no guarantees of 'feeling' like the Byzantines or vice versa(even more so if there's a limit on leaders, unique units, etc.). Pretty much the same reason why they split up Alexander the Great from the Greeks, you could group them without feeling like it's overly jarring but it is understandable for a civ more centered around Alexander's themes to those who want and enjoy it.

Essentially, I for one don't mind a separate Byzantine civ and I certainly enjoy playing them and seeing the differences between them and their classical predecessors (and I really like the Byzantine musical themes more than the Roman ones!). I could be on board with grouping the classical and medieval Romans together but that heavily depends on the amount of uniques that a single civ can work with and if they can do a great job of showing the transition between those important eras. I'm currently in favor of the separation but that could change depending on what they do and how well they do it in the future.

I should also mention that I'm also more in favor of splitting up India and China if at all possible.

China is definitely more of a sensitive topic and (correct me if I'm wrong) I imagine that it's unlikely that any of the main dynasties would splinter off from a single Chinese civ without Firaxis losing out on the Chinese market. It pains me to say it but, as much as I'd love to see a separate Tibet and even a Baiyue/Nanman civ, I'm sure that's also unlikely in the current political climate.

Thankfully there's India and and I have some ideas of how it would be split. Personally, I'd like to see it split as India, Chola, and Gurkani. Like with the split between Greece and Macedonia, I have a feeling that a civ named India won't be disappearing anytime soon even if there's a split. I'd think that this more focused India civ would mainly have leaders and uniques from the Mauryan Empire (I'd much rather see Chandragupta and/or Ashoka make regular appearances than Gandhi) though we could hope for alternate leaders from the Gupta and Maratha empires if we want something from a later era covered too. The Cholas look like the ideal choice out of the Tamil dynasties in southern India so I'd be on board with a separate Chola civ. Finally, I'd want a Gurkani civ that covers the Timurids and Mughals and focuses on what they did best. They'd have a significant number of cities in India but they'd also have a decent number of cities in central Asia too.

I almost forgot to mention that I'd be just as curious to see some splitting of the Arabic caliphates between the heartland ones like the Abbasids and the ones in Hispania. I don't know as much about them but it's fascinating to think about!

TLDR, I pretty much agreed with everything that @Narcisse said!

Last edited:
Australia (and the Maori) (probably the biggest stretch but the Maori are kind of the best adjacent substitute we have for an aboriginal civ that actually has a large tribal population and land
the hell you talking about? Maori is NOT "spin-off" of Australia. They are similar position as Cree and Canada.
Maori is native to New Zealand and New Zealand is NOT Australia!
Bloody Aussies...

Top Bottom