Why is Korea not in Civ 5?

Are you disappointed that korea is not in civ v?

• yes, take out one of the europan civilizations

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • yes, increase number of civiliztions to 19, 20 or 21

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • yes, take out china/japan/siam/aztecs

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • no, but definitely include it in an expansion

Votes: 78 81.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tifa9292

Chieftain
i checked through the lists and wow korea is not one of the civilizations in civ v! :mad:
china and japan are both here so its unfair to us koreans because we took over a huge part of asia in our history. see Goguryeo

korean civilization is one of the oldest in the world. we have 5000 years of history which is longer than both china japan and england. also we were never colonised by the western civilization

a lot of important people in history are korean like yi sun-sin, ban kimoon, bands like tvxq 2PM are both high selling

companies like samsung, hyundai are very rich and powerful

combined the koreas have the largest military in the world

i can think of tons of reasons but im disappointed that a civilization like korea is forgotten :(

Unfortunately most westerners think that east asia consists of nothing but China and Japan. China is an obvious choice of course, with its huge population and long history. Then Japan gets in because all of it's cultural exports (like video games) have made that country so famous for young people. Throw in Mongolia too, since everyone loves playing as Genghis Khan. Then there's just no room left to represent Korea on a civ-scale map. If you play the world map in BTS, korea is just ridiculous... it has like 10 tiles, all under cultural pressure. I would like it if they used Korean instead of Japan or Mongolia but I don't expect that to happen.

btw the "famous people" you listed are almost totally unknown outside of Korea lol.

Then Japan gets in because all of it's cultural exports (like video games) have made that country so famous for young people. Throw in Mongolia too, since everyone loves playing as Genghis Khan.
Yeah well, that isn't the only reasons why they've been included. Japan showed incredible military prowess during World War II, taking most of China, East and South-East Asia upto India. They've also showcased an almost miraculous economic rise after World War II and to top it off, they've successfully thwarted Mongol invasions, kamikaze or no. It's not just because they made Pokémon and Naruto. :p

The Mongols similarly have conquered and administered the world's largest contiguous land empire, a feat attempted by so many other world leaders. Mongol influence is defining in Central Asia and their power during their peak was tremendous.

Korea, while having a respectable position in world history cannot match the achievements of Japan or the Mongols. But yeah, expansion pack definitely.

First Poland, then Spain, now Korea.

:shake:

Goguryeo isnt a huge part of Asia. By google images it looks like its northern Korea and Manchuria. Military size doesnt matter. Any country can require all male citizens to participate in the military for a few years.

Ban Ki-Moon may be secretary general, but there had been a person from Ghana, Norway, Sweden, Austria, Peru, and Burma as well, and their nations arent represented (well atleast not specifically). As for the artists, I'd suspect the guys who did the numa song is more well known globally than those you mentioned, yet I dont see Moldova being in civ.

Sure, you werent colonized by a western civilization, but you were by an eastern one, and if Japan didn't, then Russia would have.

Its also misleading to say that Korea has 5000 years of history, because Korea as of now hasnt been around 5000 years.

Many countries have a company that is very successful, so I wouldn't count that in.

Nobody forgot Korea. There are a whole lot of nations, none which are greater or lesser than Korea, that could be represented. Civ isnt going to have 100 civilizations, so naturally, some are going to be cut, for whatever reason. For all those complaining that Korea/Spain/whatever else isnt in civ: making threads on topics the forum has been through over and over is not going to help.

Im not going to vote because the options are too limiting. I wouldnt say I would want Korea to "definitely" be in civ.

I have to agree with Dale here that these complaints that are all like "WHY ISN'T MY COUNTRY IN THE GAME BAAAW" Are getting old. As stated before in less words, Firaxis can't put everybody in vanilla, they need to sell expansions, too. And if they did replace another nation with yours, people from the replaced nation would begin to complain.

Really, people, keep your nationalism out of Civ, please. It's irritating.

From my world history books, China, Japan and Mongolia have the greatest impact on East Asian history. Korea, on the other hand, not as much. From what I recalled, Korea was vassals to China, Mongolia and Japan and other groups of people (Khitans, Jurchens) at different times in history. Their historical culture resembles and derives from China, but branches off at certain time in the past.

i checked through the lists and wow korea is not one of the civilizations in civ v! :mad:
china and japan are both here so its unfair to us koreans because we took over a huge part of asia in our history. see Goguryeo

korean civilization is one of the oldest in the world. we have 5000 years of history which is longer than both china japan and england. also we were never colonised by the western civilization

a lot of important people in history are korean like yi sun-sin, ban kimoon, bands like tvxq 2PM are both high selling

companies like samsung, hyundai are very rich and powerful

combined the koreas have the largest military in the world

i can think of tons of reasons but im disappointed that a civilization like korea is forgotten :(

I lived for six years in South Korea and it always makes me chuckle when I hear about Korea's "5000 years of history". According to Korean records, Tangun descended from heaven, had sex with a bear and founded the Korean race in 2333 BC. So even if we believe in this mythological beginning, it's still only 4343 years. ;)

The first recorded written account of Korea historically was in 57 BC I believe.

Having the largest combined military in the world is a joke. North Koreans are starving to death and the military doesn't even have enough fuel or ammunition to even train properly.
I believe if they started a war they'd have fuel supplies lasting two days. They may claim it's a million man army but that's just typical KJI propaganda.

Samung and Hyundai go to great lengths to not tell people they are Korean. In fact, a recent survey in Europe asked people where they thought Samsung was from. 70% said from Japan. Why is that?

Perhaps because they are ranked 15th in National Export Branding. Japan was first. Samsung is only Korean when it suits nationalistic purposes. Business wise they pretend not to be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation_branding

As far as being in ciV, I don't have a problem with them being in an expansion. I suppose they did invent the rain gauge in the 15th century.

I suspect that Ban Ki-Moon is known a bit wider than just Korea.

Anyone who follows world politics will know, sure, but if you ask the average person on the street they'll have no idea who he is or what country he's from. He's probably the most famous from that list though- naming those bands is just ridiculous.

no, but definitely include it in an expansion.

Koreas sud accept the fact that Firaxis think that they (korean civilization) deserved slot only in civ expansion which is still good thing.

I think the korean sud take it as a good sign and be thankful because Firaxis included them in civ as among the asian conquerors though historically they did not expand or conquers single tribe or state outside their domain, compared to japan, china and mongols.

Rather see Siam or thailand, be included for the reason that southeast asia is greatly under represented. or may be new face in south like cambodia, vietnam or malay civs.

I have to agree with Dale here that these complaints that are all like "WHY ISN'T MY COUNTRY IN THE GAME BAAAW" Are getting old. As stated before in less words, Firaxis can't put everybody in vanilla, they need to sell expansions, too. And if they did replace another nation with yours, people from the replaced nation would begin to complain.

Really, people, keep your nationalism out of Civ, please. It's irritating.

That's it! There's just too many important nations. Since they have a limited budget, they decided 18 nations would be a fine compromise. They probably thought:

1) "Which nations absolutely have to be in due to tremendous importance (US, Britain, China,...)?"

2) "Let's take at least one civ from every big cultural group, racism complaints are the death of a company!"

3) "Where are our core markets? We should consider adding those countries even if others might have been more important in history."

4) "Which Civ's are well-known and fun to play? Which have cool unique art?" (Egypt,...)

So, I hope you get it. BTW, have you seen my sig? I could throw a whole bunch of Austrian achievements in (Music: Mozart, Haydn, Schubert, Strauss; Arts: Klimt, Schiele, Hundertwasser; Science: Sigmund Freud, Mach, Doppler, Schrödinger, Konrad Lorenz, ...oh, and by the way: Hitler - We are quite happy few people know he was NOT german).

And to compare penis lenght, see attachment.
(The Austrian-Spanish empire at it's first pinnacle)

But I won't force people to admit my country is the greatest, best, awesomest - because it's a :):):):)ing game!!!

Attachments

• scaled-0x600_Karl_V.jpg
    scaled-0x600_Karl_V.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 794
He's probably the most famous from that list though- naming those bands is just ridiculous.

Haha. Agreed. Korean culture are now rising just like the japs. I wonder what will happen to the entire South east and East Asia. :bowdown:

Korea should be in expansion, mainly because like the Chinese, they write their own history more often, unlike south-east asian civilizations.

First Poland, then Spain, now Korea.

:shake:

They locked the facetious New Zealand thread before it even got to page two! It stirs incoherant nationalistic rage it does.

It's like, they weren't taking us seriously or something.

Missing a Nation
Three legs, one eye and toothless
Answers to "Lucky"

Haiku ode to "Why is Korea not in Civ 5?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom