Why not include religion without bearing on the game?

Razorwing

Warlord
I read that religion won't be a part of Civilization V, presumably because other gameplay elements will now fill the same role as religion did in Civilization IV.

But why not include religion anyway, without it having any bearing on gameplay? Religions could be founded following the first discovery of a new technology, just as it is in Civilization IV. Except that it wouldn't have any effect on gameplay, nor would you be able to build missionaries or other religion-based improvements.

But you could watch how 'your' religion spreads throughout the world, and how other religions spread to your cities. Perhaps you would even see shrines / temples / cathedrals being built in cities - but only as a graphical illustration of various religions' strengths.

These effects might be utilized as a graphic expression of your civilization's cultural strength. If you focus enough on culture you would see those cathedrals spring up in your most cultured cities, which would presumably be gratifying and visually pleasing.

Of course, a system like that wouldn't be as good as having religions play an active role in Civilization V. The introduction of religion in Civ IV was, in my opinion, a huge step forward in adding even more realism to the game. Removing religion as a factor from Civilization V is a mistake that will detract from the fun of playing the game. That's not to say I don't think it will still be a great game, just a bit less fun than it could have been. But it would seem the decision was made long ago and is already implemented, so I suppose it wouldn't help to complain about it - but if we can't have religion as an active ingredient, at least include it for ambience's sake!

Well, for all we know, they very well may do exactly that. However, one argument against it is that you shouldn't implement a game feature if you are going to implement it unrealistically. Religion without any effects makes no real sense, even if it would be good for flavour.

I hope they don't take religion out, can someone link me to whatever source says it is going out? While not giving religion any effect beyond diplomacy and culture is a bit too PC for my taste taking it out entirely is a major step backward.

Another possibility is that they removed religion because they already planned to include it in an expansion pack.

What a suspicious mind you have!:) I'm embarrassed I didn't think of that. Considering that as Firaxis probably will monitor comments about the game, that's a very real possibility even if they didn't plan it that way.

I would think it would be hard to implement such a large feature in an expansion pack, although it is certainly possible, and would provide a nice theme for the pack as a whole. Mods will most likely be the most accessible option for having religions in the game.

i really hope they dont take it out, if they do it will be a huge disappointment, was anyone really that upset by its presence? I mean, if you dont like it you have to be really thin skinned.

It wasn't that people were offended, it's that it apparently was not compatible with the new diplomacy system that is being implemented.

A lack of religion should help your research and your people's health.
Religion should be more treated as a poison than a moneymaker. That's what I hated about CivIV.

Religion should be more treated as a poison than a moneymaker. That's what I hated about CivIV.

Historically, monks were almost the only literate people. So the 10% research bonus for monastaries (sp?) makes sense. I don't understand the health argument.

The poison of religion in CivIV was in the diplomatic relations. Which made sense - holy wars become more common. Shrines were moneymakers for a long time, attracting Pilgrims the way the Olympics do now, only consistently to the same city. Whether a person believes or not, religion did tie communities together. If you dislike the happiness aspect, you could think of a religion as an opiate of the people.

Whether a person believes or not, religion did tie communities together.

That's a good point. A book I highly recommend to my more advanced students is When Asia Was the World. It's only a small point in the book--it's mroe about early cross regional travelers in the years before European expansion--but one thing that becomes obvious is the strong utility a common faith provided in allowing cross cultural contacts and trade along the Silk Road networks--first with Buddhism and then with Islam. It's really only when they're on the historical downslide that religions cause real trouble in the world.

Well, the free religion civic does give a research bonus.

And even if you are going to be all overly cynical about religion (something that no game company wanting to stay in business would do), then in an empire management game, the use of religion should be advantageous, seeing as way in which it is a 'poison' is that it allows for easier control of a population, which would be advantageous in empire management.

I am disappointed, greatly disappointed that they took it out, but perhaps a better diplomacy system can make up for it. I am at least glad they got rid of the cartoon like leader-heads.

Is there a real source on it being cut out, or are we all still quoting a so far non-existant danish article?

i cant imagine it is beyond there capabilities to make it compatible

I reckon they probably could've too, but they most likely made a decision that what they'd have to do with religion in order to make it compatible would make it a rather poor representation.

Top Bottom