• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Why Only 18 >:(

Then there's also a need to see how different civs and leaders interact in a real world of crazy gamers :) You can test balance only to some extent, gamers always come up with crazy ideas to abuse something in a way it was not meant to be (ab)used. 18 different civs is quite enough. You woun't find many games with that many different factions.

18 is perfectly fine. I'd rather see more diversity in cities, militaries etc. between a smaller number of civs than a ton of civs that are all generic and indistinguishable.

I was disappointed when I heard there was only going to be 18. It reduces the amount of interesting or realistic scenarios you could put together.
But if they put the effort in elsewhere, making each one highly unique with lots of UUs and UBs and different art for common units then I will be content.
Still better bump it up a lot in the expansions though! :D

only 18 thats sad no dout saddly Us would be in there, and you would thing thore would we no new nation(no Australia,no Israel) Sad :(

I would guess that there only adding in the really famous civilizations that everyone can recognize. It's better for the non-history buff to playing alongside Germany and China than New Zealand and Austria-Hungary.

Lol, you guys are mixed up between empires and nations. There's a big big difference. Austria-Hungary was historically part of the German empire, that's why it's not included. Today you can't call any nation an empire because there is no room for expansion and the U.N. makes it so you can't just randomly invade Mexico because you want their land, everyone would get pissed at you and crap. I mean, nowadays a country declares war on another country and it's a big deal. So no empires nowadays, nowadays it's countries or nations.

Australia, I don't know maybe that would make sense to put in. Israel too, but not as a nation, as the historically legendary civ led by King David. That is a civ. Israel was conquered many many times, by different civs, the Babylonians, the Greeks, the Romans, the Persians, the Byzantines, the Ottomans, the French even, etc. etc. and it was governed by even more (the British and others). If it was a civ game, the Israeli civilization would have been destroyed :sad:, and you can say that it was. The historical civ of King David doesn't exist anymore, but it was conquered by other civs.

I didn't mean for that to be confusing, but what I mean is, imagine history was a Civ game. Imagine the Israeli land as a part of the map. Imagine King David's civilization in it, then imagine it conquered by many other civs later. There's a difference between the Peruvians today and the Incans that were there before. A civ isn't a piece of land, a civ is a culture.

EDIT:
I was disappointed when I heard there was only going to be 18. It reduces the amount of interesting or realistic scenarios you could put together.

No it doesn't. Vanilla CivIV had 16 civs.

No it doesn't. Vanilla CivIV had 16 civs.

Just because you could put together a lot of interesting scenarios and stuff with 18 (and it was 18, not 16), doesn't mean that more wouldn't make the possibilities of scenario creation even greater. It most definitely would.

Since it sounds like the civs are going to each have a unique trait instead of the standard leader traits, it wouldn't make sense to have a large number of civs as the amount of "uniqueness" would become less obvious as there are only so many components in the game to give bonuses to.

Well I'm sure given 30 parameters (or 'flavours' as they are seeming to be called), that you could quite a large variety of sufficiently unique overall characters. And then there's unique units and unique buildings (assuming they are in the game) to add even more uniqueness.

Well, 6^30 is quite a large amount of basic combinations ( I only consider from 3 to 8 for base value of each flavour ) > 221,073,919,720,733,357,899,776 to be exact.

There will still be 3.3.3.3.3.3.3.3.3.3.3.3.3.3.3.3.3.3.3.3.3.3.3.... and 8.8.8.8.8.8.8.8.8.8.8.8.8.8.8.8.8.8.8.8.... but with the +/-2 vars each may be unique
ie. 6/10=0.6 & 1/5=0.2 IYKWIM

If they only have one difference though, they're not exactly all that unique. My point is that you could get a lot of very unique leaders with 30 parameters to adjust.

If the number of Civilizations is a problem for anybody, don't buy the game off the bat and just wait 6-12 months and then check the forums.

But to be fair, most of the new civilization's leaderheads are probably going to be static, which isn't an issue I suppose unless you think the fine people making the game has the time to invest in making a metric ton of leaderheads (which they're not just leaderheads now I suppose but it's the only word I can think of) when the money and time is better spent working on the AI and gameplay.

If the number of Civilizations is a problem for anybody, don't buy the game off the bat and just wait 6-12 months and then check the forums.

But to be fair, most of the new civilization's leaderheads are probably going to be static, which isn't an issue I suppose unless you think the fine people making the game has the time to invest in making a metric ton of leaderheads (which they're not just leaderheads now I suppose but it's the only word I can think of) when the money and time is better spent working on the AI and gameplay.

lol No Way in Hell :lol:
I Mite be scared but I would never miss Civ 5 good or bad is the next step

18 is good for now.

More can be added in expansions, but it's difficult to change the fundamental aspects of the game in an expansion. It's the fundamentals they need to focus on in the vanilla release, not superficial things that can be added to the game later on. If they skimp on the fundamentals in favour of more superficial variety, it would be a poor decision.

18 is good for now.

More can be added in expansions, but it's difficult to change the fundamental aspects of the game in an expansion. It's the fundamentals they need to focus on in the vanilla release, not superficial things that can be added to the game later on. If they skimp on the fundamentals in favour of more superficial variety, it would be a poor decision.

And given that the most Civs offered in a vanilla installment of a Civilization game is 21 (from Civ2), complaining that there's 18 seems silly given the difficulty in making 18 Unique leaders and art needed to be created....

And given that the most Civs offered in a vanilla installment of a Civilization game is 21 (from Civ2), complaining that there's 18 seems silly given the difficulty in making 18 Unique leaders and art needed to be created....

Well, it's not so much complaining as just expressing a desire for more. One does not mean the other.

But to be fair, most of the new civilization's leaderheads are probably going to be static

I assume you mean community created leaderheads? Because I would assume that all official leaderheads would be fully animated.

I assume you mean community created leaderheads? Because I would assume that all official leaderheads would be fully animated.

Of course. :lol:

I mean that I think the first community-created civilizations would probably have static leaderheads unless reskinning or creating leaderheads is easier than I think it is.

:blush:

Well, yeah, I think it would be tremendously difficult to create new leaderheads of the same quality, what with the need for native language to be spoken, and presumably to be seen to be spoken, and what with the full screen entirely animated thing.

:blush:

Well, yeah, I think it would be tremendously difficult to create new leaderheads of the same quality, what with the need for native language to be spoken, and presumably to be seen to be spoken, and what with the full screen entirely animated thing.

On the bright side, modpacks won't become bloated due to new animated leaderheads. Then again, I do like the leaderheads that come with the game (more than I like the Civ4 ones).

:goodjob:

It would be good to have more, I like a large array of civs but as previously said they need to make expansions, and I guess alot of civs starting out would be intimidating, it'll be good to have a little more than 18, civ 4 vanilla had 18 couldn't civ5 have like 20 or something, you know a small improvement

Top Bottom