Why wont my Wonders get built?

G Julius Caesar

Warlord
A little unsure about this........in my current game, I tried to build (at different times) the Pyraminds, the Oracle and Stonehenge. I had the right techs to do this, but about half way through each one I was then told I couldn't continue to build them.

On only one of these did it also indicate that the wonder had been built in a far away land - fair enough, they beat me to it!

But for the other two there was no explanation.

I could not check if it was because another civ got a tech that made them of no use - but it was fairly early on in the game so I'm not sure this would be correct. My cities building them had hammers and were growing, so I'm at a loss as to why I could not continue to build them.

I got gold in the turns I was told the building has stopped but its not the same as having the Wonders themselves.

Any advice gratefully received!:)

If the game hasn't gone to far along from the point you were told you couldn't build the wonder any longer, try pressing CTRL + TAB to bring up the Event Log. The reason may be listed in there.

I've had the same problem too however there was an entry in the event log advising that it has been built elsewhere.

The only reason I saw a wonder being stopped is when that wonder has been completed somewhere else, and I can't think of another.

Are you sure the wonder has not been built by another nation? It's easy to miss the events when one is completed.

You can see all the completed wonders in the Info Screen (right-most button at the top right corner of the main screen, same place you can see the Top 5 cities)

The only reason you can not build a wonder is this wonder already built.
Use the tips Sadan01 gives you in order to check.
You can also check in the 5 Largest City in the World screen and Use the Wonder pop up in order to check this wonder was built.
LeSphinx

Yeah, the wonder must have been built by another civ.
Thats one small peeve of mine with the game (that can maybe be changed in a mod) The text log is great for telling me that I completed my 15th swordsman but it would be nice to have a more significant prompt when a rival completes a wonder.

There is another possible reason, and I've encountered this personally. By accident I began the Apollo Program in a city that had no business building it and didn't realize until two turns had gone by. I changed production to a university, and then found that (i guess because there was leftover production on that wonder in the city) it wouldn't let me begin building it anywhere else. I didn't know what the problem was - all I saw was the Apollo Project grayed out everywhere. It was only when the university was completed and that city resumed production on Apollo that I realized what was happening.

So, maybe you've done something similar and that's why you can't build them. Even if not, there's a word of warning for you: make sure you begin building a wonder in the city you want it to be in before logging any production on it.

You can cancel queued production, a quick double click and it's gone.

Can you build a wonder when you have a tech that makes it obsolete (e.g. can you build Stonehenge after Calendar)?

I had accidently put the same wonder in 2 queues. It does happen and I think it happens if you queue the prerequibuildign and then the wonder and then queu the wonder in a city that has the prerequisite building already. For example I queue the lighthouse and then the great lighthouse. Switch to a city that has a lighthouse aready and I put the lighthouse into production. Not sure what happens when the other city finishes the lighthouse and starts wodner sicne I took it off the list right away.

Cripes! So many replies so quickly!! Thanks everyone. Will check the Event Log, but I'm sure it didn't say on the screen someone else had built it - apart from for the Pyramids. Thanks again!

Good One Ogrelord :lol:
I've actually started a wonder cancelled it and then built it in another city. After it was built I got reimbursed for the hammers I had used to build the incomplete wonder in the original city.

Top Bottom