Will the AI ever learn to invade overseas?

Fafnir13

King
Quick question for the team:

Is any work being put toward/planned for improving the AI when it comes to making invasions overseas?

Or:

Does anyone know of an AI mod that does this?

Thanks.

Some of the mods do, AFAIK.

If the mods aren't yet updated to patch f, or you don't want to download them, just increase the cargo of all naval units by 2.

Awhile back, I was the victim of a massive overseas invasion by the Hippus. This was just base FfH, but I don't remember what version it was (maybe v039?). Don't know why things would've changed since then.

Did the Hippus invade you in later stage of the game? Were the "crew" promotions in 039?

Did the Hippus invade you in later stage of the game? Were the "crew" promotions in 039?

I'm pretty sure the crew promotions were in, and it was late enough in the game for the Infernals to be summoned (and I believe I had technology for champions, but not certain). But I don't remember all the details, it was one of the first FfH games I ever played. My military was also pretty weak, and the Hippus were basically a superpower; they quickly took several of my cities before I decided to start the game over.

I was fairly n00bish at the game at this point, but Rhoanna certainly was able to execute a successful overseas invasion.

EDIT: If the crew promotions somehow do interfere with the AI's ability to manage its navy (I don't recall an AI ever making use of those crew promotions), then I wouldn't mind them being removed. They don't really add anything to the game, in my opinion.

EDIT: If the crew promotions somehow do interfere with the AI's ability to manage its navy

The AI doesn't use them. Without them, their boats have too few cargo to be competitive, although when more advanced ships are available, with more "pre-built" cargo, the AI is capable of landings sometimes. That's why I advised to increase the cargo of all ships by 2.

Notque's Minor Leaders mod included AI changes that really improved their naval abilities. Sadly he hasn't been on the forums for some time.

yeah, notque's mod really helped there. actually, I think it might be best to just raise the cargo capacity of all ships, since the real problem is that they don't understand crews.

Citizens of Cahir Abbey wouldn't agree with you. Last game as Elohim I was invaded by Kandros Fir's SoD (about 20 units).
But I have to admit Lone Wolf's points, it was later into game and Khazad were far ahead in score and invaded with frigates and Queen's of line. Never seen AI attack with lesser ships.

What if the naval part of the game was just expanded? The AI handles naval invasions adequately in vanilla BTS with dedicated transport ships(Galley, Galleon, Transport), the problem is there are no real transport ships in FFH2 until Queen of the Lines. I propose one of the following:

1) Add new naval units in for transport(I.E., 'Barge', 2 movement/2 strength/3 cargo)
2) Make select units (Galley, Galleon, Queen) start with the Skeleton Crew promotion.
3) Add cargo space to early naval units(Galley could get 2)

In general I think it would be a good idea to increase all ships' cargo capacities by 1, with one exception: The Queen of the Line. FfH's implementation of this as a fairly weak unit with high cargo capacity is completely opposed to what the real world ships called that were. The Queen of the Line should be a particularly large ship of the line, a powerful but slow combat vessel.

While I've never seen a real invasion, I have seen some sneak attacks. The most effective of these was when the Sailors' Dirge showed up out of nowhere and immediately unloaded Tumtum right into my second city, which was guarded only by a single warrior since it was so far from my border I hadn't given its defense any thought for over a hundred turns. I think there was a longbowman on the ship too and the city was soon cranking out its own defenders, so recapturing it was tough.

In general I think it would be a good idea to increase all ships' cargo capacities by 1, with one exception

By 2 would be better.

A few versions back, I had to repel repeated multi-ship AI invasions for a hundred turns or so by 3 or 4 civs. It was pretty impressive the way the transports were protected by men o' war too. The only drawback to the enemy's invasions was their insistence on landing in the same peninsula where I could easily box them in with a defense stack fortified on a hill.

I wouldn't say it was a long distance invasion though; they were only two ocean tiles away. Other than that, I haven't seen too many invasions in any version.

Will the AI ever learn to invade overseas? It would be exciting to have it able to do so but I doubt that the black-sailed ships of the Lanun or the sleek Svartalfar raiders will ever do more than burn a couple of fishing boats. The strategic implications of a robust naval combat system make our Elven heads swim. Fortunately, AI for ships appears a low priority. But it would be cool.

Top Bottom