[GS] Will the late game matter?

If climate change works like it did in civ 4 then it should at least make the late game more interesting, albeit unbalanced. I always loved when games in civ 4 went into the late-late game and the entire world was turned into irradiated swamp and desert.

Sigh... That is a good point. Tourism and religion already felt disjointed and just sort of systems that you didn't really notice at all during the games. Adding in more systems without bring those into the loop makes me a bit worried about the game becoming more disjointed. I really hope they can do something to make tourism actually noticeable and not just a number that goes higher without having any other effect on the game what-so-ever.

People have been saying that for ages with Culture, and Civ V had mechanics along these lines, so hopefully we’ll get something. Either in GF or later.

Sigh. That would be about right wouldn’t it? RnF buffed Trade Routes, FXS takeaway England’s trade route stacking. GF buffs culture, FXS take away England’s Museum...

They need to bring back ideaologies. Right now tourism does literally nothing besides go into a bucket. If you fill the bucket full - you win! If your opponent makes a lot of culture, the bucket becomes deeper.

Yes to Ideologies. RnF seems focused on empire and governance. GF seems focused on changing environment and industry. It seems to me there are still some big topics left - one is colonialism, the other is ideology / Cold War / clash of ideas. Anything else?

People have been saying that for ages with Culture, and Civ V had mechanics along these lines, so hopefully we’ll get something. Either in GF or later.

Sigh. That would be about right wouldn’t it? RnF buffed Trade Routes, FXS takeaway England’s trade route stacking. GF buffs culture, FXS take away England’s Museum...

Yes to Ideologies. RnF seems focused on empire and governance. GF seems focused on changing environment and industry. It seems to me there are still some big topics left - one is colonialism, the other is ideology / Cold War / clash of ideas. Anything else?

Corporations/Globalization/Neo-colonialism.

I hope devs are paying attention to this thread. I agree with everything everyone is saying. I am deeply concerned about late game being interesting. I think some of the new features have that potential but am slightly skeptical so I am eagerly waiting for more reveals... The key is to have challenges that are NOT dependent upon AI military management.

And +1 to whoever suggested making post-era techs a lot more expensive

Two thoughts about the extended late game:

1) Hopfully, with all the environmental effects (especially when cranked up to 11), the peacefull game will be more interesting and demanding, making warmongering for fun not mandatory. (Mind you, this is my very personal take on this! I know that there are many players who already prefer to play peacefully.)
Without the super-efficient warlike playstyle, longer games may be more common.

2) It is possible to start games in later eras.
Sure, I usually start in the ancient era and I guess, most players do so likewise.
But the option to start for example in the industrail era does exist and then the future era might be quite neccesary to achieve victory.

From the livestream discussion I got the distinct impression from Ed that the victories are being changed to accommodate the new late game era. He did say they were reworking the victories. I'd be really surprised if they didn't frankly, wouldn't make sense if the game is balanced to end early.

Unless they want to have the idea being that in the 21st century final era, after somebody has a victory, the strategy is to work together with the other civs to defeat climate change. Actually that would be a really neat approach - all the civs are competing up to the 20th century, then the strategy is to work together to bring temperatures down. Kind of like a double victory, the second being shared, with Steam achievements and such. Maybe after a win you get the option of "one more turn" or "work together mode" to finish the game after a win occurs. What would also be neat is that if you weren't the winner it gives you a second chance at a shared win.

I could see, say you were a war monger but didn't win, you could still use your military to subdue the polluter civs. Maybe use your culture to influence them, or develop science to address the issue. Maybe the religious victory path could be "pray and hope for the best" :crazyeye:

Dev team: go for it!

Top Bottom