Windows Vista Problems

dlarue

Chieftain
I have recently made the grave error of buying a new computer with Windows Vista. Some things are not so bad, but Civ IV will not work without shutting down. I have tried all that I know...updates in Windows, current patch from Civ IV. What can I do? I am running as administrator and have tried setting the game to run as Windows XP and 2000(which I used to have). I need some help. If anyone has encountered this problem and/or knows a fix, I would certainly appreciate it. I havent been able to get very far in the game before it shuts down. I am, another victim of Windows Vista!:sad:

I run it fine on Vista. When I originally installed it a message popped up saying something about it not installing correctly, but gave an option to ignore, which I did and it has run fine.

Perhaps uninstall/reinstall.

I recieved a new DELL yesterday with vista. Boy did I have aggravation.After all sorts of nonsense I decided to to load Civ 4. The disc wouldn't load at all, not nohow. In the end after looking every where for a fix ( I suspected incompatabillity ) I decided to see if Civ 3 would load, it did. Went back to Civ 4 and it loaded up ok, go figure. Vista told me that there were known incompatability problems with this game and directed me to Firaxis web site. Although it didn't mention incompalibility with Vista it did give a patch for the ATI Radeon graphics card. I down loaded the latest patch and the game was tickety-boo. Next I loaded and patched Warlords. I gave it a spin till AD 200 and it worked perfectly, that's not to say that there won't be problems as the game progresses.
My conclusions are that Civ 4 works ok with Vista, If you're still having problems it could be that your graphics card doesn't have enough RAM or the computer doesn't have enough RAM. For reference I have I have a 256 mb Ati Radion X1300 pro PCI express graphics card and 2048 MB memory.
Hope this helps.

Well, I have Dell, W-Vista 64bit and it runs fine and smooth. My graphic card isn't even that good....exactly what is your hardware config?

I too have had the misfortune of buying a new dell with vista home premium in it. MAN has it given me problems. First with steam, and now civ 4.
It tells me there are 'known incompatibility issues with the operating system' and it just stops right there, no direction to any website or whatever. My graphics card, which is an Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS of 128 mb is fully updated. I'm also running on 1.8 ghz duo core and 2 gb of ram.
Can anyone PLEASE help me, I'll be really greatful.

I also have moved to Vista (Home Premium) and I am having install difficulties with Beyond the Sword. Civ 4 itself installs OK, and I can go into the game, but the BtS install fails when it tries to read the Civ 4 disc 2. As soon as I click OK for it to look for that disc, I get a "Feature transfer error" that tells me there has been a "Catastrophic failure."

I've cleared the Windows\Temp folder, uninstalled & reinstalled Civ, upgraded to the latest video drivers (ATI Radeon x1200), and downloaded the latest DirectX from Microsoft.

Any thoughts?

aagghh!!!!!! hate vista soo much, sims doesn't like it and now I can't get past the loading screen for civ grrr

beyond the sword looked like a good buy. 20$ only. then i encountered the screen that said patch installation failed aborting installation.hate vista alot
need help

Edit: miraculously fixed itself after second reboot. Just wtf.

Recently has patched the goddamn Vista with Service Pack 1. My videos always open with error on the first time, but what's far more grave - my Civ (all versions) would reach "Init MP/Voice" stage while launching and then freeze! Does anyone know of the possible fixes?

hi,

i'm running vista ultimate and trying to play civ 4, i've installed it ok without any problems, i then patched it to 1.74 and got the d3dx9_32.dll error, i followed the instructions on a different thread and that went away.

now civ 4 dosen't even load, it just sits there for 5 mins saying that its loading then i get a message from windows stating that civ 4 has encountered problems and has had to close!!! can anyone shed any light on this. i would be most gratefull for your help!!!

cheers mrmike

I have the same problem during the initialization of the game; it freezes when "init/mp" tries to load.

This happened after I restarted the Windows Vista. The problem was not present right after installing the new patch for BtS.

Kalkas

I just survived installing all versions of Civ IV/Warlords/BtS on a new Vista 64 machine. In general, following the directions in the HOF Fixes for Vista Issues with Civ4 worked. On my Vista SP1 system, is was not necessary to follow step three of that post, as the required registry key did still exist.

In addition, run the web update version of DirectX 9.0c (currently June 08) prior to running any version of Civ IV or expansion.

Also, the latest drivers for your graphics card would be useful. :)

My local Best Buy has the CivIV "Game of the Year" edition which does not have the "Windows Game" emblem and OS compatibility on ly shows W2000 and XP. I suspect that this version is absolutely not compatible with Vista.

Right next to it is a BTS expansion pack that does say "Vista compatible".

Does anyone know different? Is the Game of the Year edition okay on Vista, or not?

TIA!

Welcome to CFC :band:

civilizationIV was not designed for Vista - only the latest patch (not contained on any disc sold) makes it (mostly) compatible with Vista - so they cannot get the games for windows logo for the core game. BtS is designed as Games for Windows - and is Vista compatible out of the box (except for a bug in the installer which refuses to create shortcuts on the desktop).
Most people run both fine on Vista - however you need the core game in order to play the expansion...

Welcome to CFC :band:

civilizationIV was not designed for Vista - only the latest patch (not contained on any disc sold) makes it (mostly) compatible with Vista - so they cannot get the games for windows logo for the core game. BtS is designed as Games for Windows - and is Vista compatible out of the box (except for a bug in the installer which refuses to create shortcuts on the desktop).
Most people run both fine on Vista - however you need the core game in order to play the expansion...

Thank you ori, I see from other's posts that problems can vary widely in type and degree. I guess I'm gonna take the gamble, I'd rather chance $30 on the PC version of this game than spend $60 on the latest PS3 version of a Civ game.

Thanks again.

D

Edit: twiddling my thumbs seems to have paid off, went into the store and what did I see but a new version on sale, "Gold Edition" with the "Games for Windows" emblem and by golly, it showed Vista as compatible.

Got it locked and loaded, just needed to create a shortcut on the desktop.

Top Bottom